Thread: Anyone who can identify this banjolin?

Default Anyone who can identify this banjolin?

Hi,

I am new here, and this is my first thread. About 20 years ago, I found an old banjolin at a flea market. Young and foolish, I painted it in a dark brown colour because I thought it looked cooler. And years later I gave it to my sisters kids.

But a couple of days ago I thought about the old banjolin again, so I went by my sister and picked it up. Her kids are more in to electric guitars now... It was in quite bad condition. The neck has raised a lot, and the round shape of the "body" is not so round anymore. Around 1 cm (0.4") wider than it is tall, if you understand what I mean.

So I have decided to go over the whole banjolin. Sand it and laquer it, straighten the neck and buy a new skin. I am pretty sure it is made of mahogany. At least the "body". There is one fret missing, but it is very far up on the fretboard so I don't think I will do anything about that. At least not for now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0309.jpg 
Views:	1610 
Size:	164.6 KB 
ID:	78883Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0310.jpg 
Views:	2389 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	78884Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0311.jpg 
Views:	493 
Size:	149.1 KB 
ID:	78885

Does anyone have a clue of what brand and year this banjolin is?

Thanks
    Philip, Sweden

Default Re: Anyone who can identify this banjolin?

Guessing: European made, 1930's or so. These small-bodied, resonator mandolin banjos are often found in England, but I've not seen an English one with a slotted headstock -- a feature more commonly found on instruments made in Germany or France. Clifford Essex in England made slotted-headstock mandolin banjos, but the Essex ones I've seen have had larger bodies. The "zero fret" just above the nut is also a very common feature on German-made instruments.

I've done a bit of Google searching for French and German mandolin banjo pics, but haven't found one that resembles this one. The French ones depicted all have larger bodies, and the Marcelli and Walliostro German-made ones have similar bodies, but non-slotted headstocks.

You might try removing the resonator and looking for maker ID inside. Other than that, well, perhaps another Cafe member will recognize it.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Thanks Allen,

Interesting about the slotted headstock. I have taken apart the mandolin now, and there was no maker ID inside. At least not any more. You can find some pictures here at another thread I just started:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...-repair-advice

Philip

4. The following members say thank you to philipkarlberg for this post:

Phillip, Sorry I can`t help you with a name of the manufactor but I bought one just like it N.Y. at an antique shop, they wanted $30 for it and I offered $25 but they wouldn`t come down so I splurged and paid the $30, I couldn`t find any place that sold a new head so I made one from an old plasic kitchen curtain and it works OK....I don`t play it though, it just hangs on the wall as a decoration....In case you do find out any info on it please post it here on the Cafe or even send me a PM....

Willie

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    ... the Marcelli and Walliostro German-made ones have similar bodies, but non-slotted headstocks.
    I've just acquired this Walliostro banjo mando, 10 5/8" head on an open-back rim, with slotted headstock:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20150826_002.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	137710

I did see another Walliostro on ebay with an open-back recently, but a smaller head I think, with only 10 widely spaced tension hooks, and without the slotted headstock. All the other Walliostro examples I've seen use the zither banjo construction (small head suspended inside the wooden rim).

Some references say it's a German make but I've found references to a Walliostro violin bow maker in London in the early 1900s, maybe he made (or more likely rebranded) mandolins from other makers such as Clifford Essex?

cheers
    Frank Sings But Walt Disney.
    My YouTube channel

It looks like an English made Temlett. Here is picture of a tenor banjo I just soldClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170331_170248.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	922.3 KB 
ID:	155874