Thread: Can you identify my mandolin?

Question Can you identify my mandolin?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC010128.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	153.2 KB 
ID:	79056Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC010129.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	152.9 KB 
ID:	79057Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC010130.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	155.3 KB 
ID:	79058Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC010131.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	147.1 KB 
ID:	79059Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC010132.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	156.5 KB 
ID:	79060Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Regal Harwood.jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	79061

Hello, I specifically joined mandolin cafe to post about this. My dad picked this flat back mando at a garage sale and I know absolutely nothing about who made it. There is no serial number or logo anywhere. My guitar building instructor thought it was a '20s to '40s Lyon & Healy, but after some research and it looks very similar to a Regal Harwood (the picture of the mando with the case is the Regal Harwood). The pickguard is inlayed into the bent top. I want to say the back and sides are rosewood, but I'm not sure. If anyone can tell me about this and possibly a value it would be greatly appreciated. My instructor said it is in excellent condition. The finish is cracked like any old finish and there are some small scratches on the sides. If you would like any more information, feel free to ask. Thanks!

Default Re: Can you identify my mandolin?

It certainly looks like a '20s Regal to me, especially the elongated "bite" headstock. FYI Regal also made many instruments that L&H sold through their catalogs -- among them mandolins -- so the provenance of flattops like these can get fuzzy.

It is indeed a Regal and you can read more about them in Bob Carlin's new book, Regal Musical Instruments: 1895-1955. It's an excellent read. As far as the value goes it will be below $500.00. They are not uncommon on eBay. Regal made a large number of instruments "for the trade" and that would include some Harwood instruments.

Thank you guys so much, I just purchased the recommended book for further research.