Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oval vs. f-hole in A style?

Smile Oval vs. f-hole in A style?

In general, I'm wondering what differences there are in sound between A-style mandolins that have oval holes and those that have f-holes. In what way(s) does the shape of the hole affect the sound?
    In particular, I'm thinking about a Kentucky KM900 (which has f-holes) and an equivalent value mandolin (possibly Kentucky, possibly not) with an oval hole. As always, the vast experience of this forum is most welcome!

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Default Re: Oval vs. f-hole in A style?

Try searching this site on this topic. It's been discussed a lot.

BTW, The km900 is a fabulous mandolin for the money. Best mandolin under 1K that I've played. There's one listed in the classifieds right now from TMS. That's where I bought mine (and several others.) Good mandolin, good people to deal with. NFI.
    Living’ in the Mitten

Thanks, Steve, I've certainly heard lots of good news about the KM900. But I like the LOOKS of the oval hole more, yet don't live where I can actually hear differences. I haven't found the magic search words to effectively find much discussion on this topic. If you can make any suggested links, that would be excellent. I can almost hear the pitter-patter of hooves on MY rooftop already!

Generalizing:

Oval hole: longer sustain, more of a "ring," not as sharp an attack or as quick a decay, "sweeter" sound;

F-hole: sharp, loud attack, quick decay, "bark" rather than "ring," clearer, more penetrating sound.

Generalities are of limited use; each instrument is different, even from another of the same make, model and vintage. There are a host of other variables: carved vs. flat, canted or pressed top; solid wood vs. plywood; scale length, bridge height, brand/gauge of strings, type of pick, player technique. So you may encounter the sweeter-sounding F-hole instrument, or the "barking" oval-hole. But the above summarizes the consensus of conventional wisdom, IMHO.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Allen is right on. I play f hole mandos mostly for bluegrass where a major aim is stand out in a loud cacophonous group of instruments. I really enjoy an oval hole in duets or Celtic music where the focus is on complimenting the other instruments rather than standing out from them. This is an over generalization, but mostly accurate.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Thanks, folks. This is very helpful. Most of the mandolin picking I've heard has been with bluegrass groups, although it's very unlikely I'll be playing with a bluegrass band (not in this lifetime, anyway). I'm taking Celtic fiddle lessons now, and while I'm not sure of what sort of music I'll learn on mandolin, I doubt "bark" will be a major "must have" element in my decision.
    Having said that, does anyone know of oval hole mandolins that are as great a bargain as the KM900 seems to be? I can't find that Kentucky HAS an equivalent, but with an oval hole instead of an f hole. Please tell me if they do! I'll order one and leave this forum alone! (for a short while anyway....)

Funny that you should pose the question today, as I was in the Music Emporium today playing everything they would let me. payed particular attention to that exact question. to respond to your last comment (but not really) Check out Arches. I really liked the one I played today, and I am going to check out the FT that they are getting in soon. it I hope may fit the bill (for me)

Equivalent "value" means nothing. Yes, oval holes sound different than F holes. But you can't say "Give me an A body, some F holes and $327.50 worth of sound" and get a certain sound. A mandolin sounds like it sounds, whether it cost the same, more or less than some other mandolin. I've played F-hole, A-style mandolins that sounded not at all like each other regardless of price tags. And same for oval holes or F-style. You won't know until you listen to it.

But don't get too caught up in the different shaped holes (or different shaped bodies) for such-and-such kind of music. That is at best a very loose approximation that might be true averaged over many mandolins and many listeners. But only one listener counts (You) and one mandolin counts (Yours) and it's absolutely possible it will be the opposite of what "they say" about oval or F holes.
    The first man who whistled
    thought he had a wren in his mouth.
    He went around all day
    with his lips puckered,
    afraid to swallow.

--"The First" by Wendell Berry

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by red7flag View Post
    Allen is right on. I play f hole mandos mostly for bluegrass where a major aim is stand out in a loud cacophonous group of instruments. I really enjoy an oval hole in duets or Celtic music where the focus is on complimenting the other instruments rather than standing out from them. This is an over generalization, but mostly accurate.

My experience as well. And as a result my leaning is towards oval holes. The only exception being a Collings MT I tried out which sounded very round hole-ish to me.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

listen to the archives on several vendor pages like GregBoyd.com and themandolinstore.com for various instruments. Listen to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB7yyp9tw1s for an example of ff-hole and oval-hole (albeit 10-string) mandolins essentially side-by-side an see what you perceive as the difference. (that youtube is one of my favorite comparisons). Then buy from someone who has helped you learn what you wanted to learn. That education is worth something and costs something to maintain on the web.
    You live and you learn (if you're awake)
    ... but some folks get by just making stuff up.

Michael T.

Quote Originally Posted by joshtree View Post
    Check out Arches. I really liked the one I played today, and I am going to check out the FT that they are getting in soon. it I hope may fit the bill (for me)
    Well there is one that popped up on the classifieds right now. NFI. You don't see one used for sale very often, and this should go quickly.

I know the whole spiel about checking out as many instruments as possible and play one before you buy etc. But the reality is that unlike F-hole models, there just aren't that many oval hole mandolins to choose from south of $1k that rivals the quality of the KM-900. Eastman has a line of oval hole models that are quite decent, and Arches FT (used) is a great deal in the same budget. The next step up would be a Weber Gallatin A, or a Collings MT-O, both of them are great, wonderful instruments. You may want to look around for one of those Gibson teens oval A. If they are set up right, and require no repair, they can be wonderful instruments for not much money.

Thanks (as ever) for all this great information and response. My basic problem continues to be that there are few mandolins around that I can try out, even though I know that playing and listening is by far the best method. Still, I'm committed to spending some money I made selling my library when I retired on something smaller than my library! But it looks like purchasing a new instrument is going to provide me the best chance of getting something close to what suits me, and this forum is really helping me get that initial purchase RIGHT! Right now, I'm about a nano-second away from ordering a Kentucky KM-900, and am only dithering because I hope I might find an oval-hole that comes with the same reputation as the KM-900 and at the same price. And I'm even considering buying a not-as-good F style to take with me when I go walkabout. Still, even two mandolins is SO much smaller than my library!

I think in general there is the most difference between an x-braced, f-holed longer necked mandolin and a transverse-braced shorter necked one (like the traditional Gibson oval As). In the middle is the x-braced, oval-hole, long necked ones often termed hybrids. In these hybridsa, the longer neck positions the bridge in the center of the soundboard and the x-bracing tightens the sound a bit but the oval hole still mellows it out some
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I think the KM900 would be an excellent choice. Of the sound clips I have heard of them, they seem deeper toned and slightly mellower (?) than the other f-hole Kentucky's. Depending on your string and pick choice, you can easily play any kind of music you want on a f-hole mandolin. If you really want a oval-hole, two models come to mind. One is the Breedlove Quartz OO. I have the Quartz OF and it is a fabulous mandolin. The OO is the exact same thing except with oval-hole and, I believe, X-braced. You can get them used for under $1000 (I've seen them as low as $700). The other one that comes to mind is the oval-hole models from Howard Morris. His mandolins get excellent comments by users regularly on the Cafe. And, they're inexpensive as well.
    This Arches in the classifieds is spectacular also.
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/...uery=retrieval
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Another possibility is to order up a KM900 from a dealer who will give you 48-72 hours to decide if you like it and who also stocks one or more oval hole models. As friend Larry says, it's likely you can play whatever kind of music you like on the KM900 but if you just find its tone doesn't "do it" for you then you could exchange it for something in the oval range. You'd be out the cost of two ways shipping but that beats buying something then selling it at a loss because you don't like it.

Of course buying a used mandolin at a fair price off the Classifieds here is another way to minimize your risk of losing (much) money if you change your mind.
    The first man who whistled
    thought he had a wren in his mouth.
    He went around all day
    with his lips puckered,
    afraid to swallow.

--"The First" by Wendell Berry

There's a beautiful Breedlove Olympic that just showed up in the classifieds tonight. Nice price. That's not much more than I paid for my Quartz OF and it's a step up in wood and quality. Very nice mandolin.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/...uery=retrieval
    Larry Hunsberger

Ibanez PF5

Quote Originally Posted by RickPick View Post
    ,,I'm about a nano-second away from ordering a Kentucky KM-900, and am only dithering because I hope I might find an oval-hole that comes with the same reputation as the KM-900 and at the same price. And I'm even considering buying a not-as-good F style to take with me when I go walkabout. Still, even two mandolins is SO much smaller than my library!
    Do not forget the used market. I have bought many used mandolins at half the price thru the classifieds here. I bought a brown Eastman 804d Two Point for $600 here, sold it a few years later for the same price.

Wow. I googled 804d and the first few pics were mine. As well as a few others for some reason.
    Gibson A9
    Eastman 804D two point, blonde

Nothing is fool proof for a talented fool

This is a personal observation, but one that is guiding me away from f holed instruments towards an oval. In reality I spend vastly more time practicing and playing alone than in performance and I find the oval sound is easier to hear. I like the sound of my Weber Yellowstone, but only really appreciate it when someone else is playing it and I can be in front of it. For what it's worth, if you are mostly going to be playing alone, I would steer to the oval hole mandolin.
    Michael Carr

Oval Hole: Butterfly Waltz

F Hole: Fishers Hornpipe

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Booth View Post
    Chip, I really enjoyed your playing. That Butterfly Waltz is really nice and super-sweet tone on "both" instruments. What mandolin is that?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Thanks Jim, the Butterfly waltz is something I started writing but never got around to finishing. It is played on my '24 Gibson A Jr. Fishers is played on my '06 Gilchrist Model 3.

Blog Entries

I would seriously look at Larry's link, that's a really nice price on that Breedlove. I have a f-hole version and love it, like Larry.

The KM900 has a number of happy owners as well, hard to discount that.

Very different instruments, I bet you could make either work as they're quality instruments.
    Collings MT2
    Breedlove OF
    Ellie eMando
    Schmergl Devastator

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Booth View Post
    Thanks Jim, the Butterfly waltz is something I started writing but never got around to finishing. It is played on my '24 Gibson A Jr. Fishers is played on my '06 Gilchrist Model 3.
    Wow! I have a 24 A Jr that is in the repair queue. That is an incentive to get it playable. I was almost expecting a Gilchrist oval. Beautiful.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

That is one of the most beautiful sounding Gibson ovals I have ever heard. Wonderful tone. Beautiful playing as well. Where else can we hear some of your playing, especially on that A Jr.
    Larry Hunsberger

Ibanez PF5

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    I would seriously look at Larry's link, that's a really nice price on that Breedlove. I have a f-hole version and love it, like Larry.

The KM900 has a number of happy owners as well, hard to discount that.

Very different instruments, I bet you could make either work as they're quality instruments.
    Also, while both are great instruments, I think the Breedlove will provide a more versatile tone for the music you are leaning towards.
    Larry Hunsberger

Ibanez PF5