Thread: Any experience with a Shure SM27 mic?

Default Any experience with a Shure SM27 mic?

Does anyone have any experience with using a Shure SM27 mic to record a mando? Possibly playing out in the future.

I've read many of the mic threads and I'm just starting to investigate getting a mic to play with some recording at home.
    2011 Weber Special Edition Oval Hole
    2010 Kentucky KM-254
    circa 1930 Stradolin rescue

Default Re: Any experience with a Shure SM27 mic?

I found this make and model to be fine, Better on guitar than mandolin in my opinion but it will be ecceptable for recording!

Yes. What are you trying to do?

Sorry - I'm on my phone and read that too quickly. You should be fine, but you may want to compare an SM57 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by GaelicHunter View Post
    Sorry - I'm on my phone and read that too quickly. You should be fine, but you may want to compare an SM57 as well.
    An SM 57 is a quite different animal than the SM 27. 57's are dynamic mikes and the 27's are condenser mics more akin to the KSM 32 line.

Quote Originally Posted by GaelicHunter View Post
    Yes. What are you trying to do?
    Largely I'm most interested in some home recording. I've only been playing mandolin for a few months and now am getting interested in the idea of recording some of my playing. Initially these recordings will be for my own reference to track how I improve. Over time I expect it will expand to sharing recordings with friends and possibly recording with friends in an acoustic setting.

My previous musical experience has been with playing piano and synthesizer, so the acoustic space is new to me. I'd like to find a decent microphone that will serve my recording goals, but will be generally flexible if/when I start exploring playing out.
    2011 Weber Special Edition Oval Hole
    2010 Kentucky KM-254
    circa 1930 Stradolin rescue

Michael, for my $.02.... I wouldn't recommend the SM27 as a first recording mic, mainly because it's a large diaphragm condenser. As a general rule (and there are always exceptions), small diaphragm condensers are used more often for recording acoustic instruments. They're better able to capture transients, and have less colored off-axis response. Small diaphragm condensers also make better stage mics (IMO) because they're physically smaller, and it's easier for the audience to see what you're doing.

I'd only recommend a large diaphragm mic if you're also planning on using it for vocals; the classic application for a large diaphragm mic. There are ribbon mic options, but I'd strongly suggest getting comfortable with a good condenser mic first as a baseline, before exploring ribbon mics. Especially if you're considering using the same mic for recording and live performance. Ribbon mics aren't good for stage use outside of a few specialized versions designed for that purpose (and maybe the Beyer M160), which are all fairly expensive.

If we start with roughly a $300 USD budget based on the SM27 price, there are several ways you could go:

You could buy one good small diaphragm condenser like an Audio Technica 40401. There are other options like an Oktava MC012 or various (other) Chinese-sourced mics, but Audio-Technica has good quality control and consistency at this price point.

Or, you could buy two Audio Technica Pro 37 small condensers. These aren't quite as clean and neutral-sounding as the 4041, but for the same price you can buy two and experiment with stereo mic technique. If you're recording solo mandolin, stereo is a nice option for opening up the sound. The Pro 37 is arguably a better choice as a stage mic, due to lower cost (easier replacement) and smaller visual profile.

The options go up from there in price and capability. I've used my Neumann KM184 mics for both recording and stage mics. It's maybe a little overkill for live use, but it sounds great as a stage mic, and it's very inconspicuous. There are even better mics for recording if you want to get into the stratospheric price levels of DPA, Schoeps, higher-end Sennheiser, or the fancier ribbon mics. But start with a good, less expensive small diaphragm condenser first.

Remember that you'll still need a good mic preamp, and a monitoring system (and maybe room treatment) so you can hear what you're doing.

Good luck, and welcome to the money pit.

foldedpath (or others) - I don't mean to take this thread far off track but since you mentioned SDC's.... do you have experience/opinions on the Beyerdynamic MC930 ? I may have an opportunity to get one (or a matched set) for an extremely attractive price but have never heard them. I'm thinking either stereo pair and/or close micing. Target instruments would be the usual Irish session variety - fiddle, flute, box, concertina, mandolin, bouzouki, guitar, bodhran, banjo etc.

Opinions?

Thanks
    Avi

Michael - I believe the SM27 is a new version of the now-discontinued KSM27. It's supposed to be bit more quiet and have a little better dynamic range. If you want to hear the KSM27, I included it in a casual mic shootout a few weeks ago here. I don't have experience using it live but I believe that Steve Johnson (active on the 'cafe) does. You can try and contact him
    Avi

Quote Originally Posted by Avi Ziv View Post
    foldedpath (or others) - I don't mean to take this thread far off track but since you mentioned SDC's.... do you have experience/opinions on the Beyerdynamic MC930 ?
    No personal experience here, but the MC930 has a great reputation (online at least) as an alternative to the KM184, for what that's worth. If you can get a single mic or matched pair for a very attractive price, I'd say go for it!

Here are just a couple of the first search hits I dug up on the Gearslutz forum about the mics. I take everything there with a grain of salt, but it's not a bad resource to winnow down a search, if you don't have a chance to audition mics in person:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-...c930-mics.html

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-e...-solution.html