Thread: Identify This Mandolin For a Friend a At Church

Default Identify This Mandolin For a Friend a At Church

Need help guys...anybody able to identify this model?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0531.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	192657   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0532.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	909.8 KB 
ID:	192658  

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Identify This Mandolin For a Friend a At Church

Looks like a Kay to me, probably 1940s. People with more expertise and expert eyes will be able to provide more info.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

It was indeed built by Kay in Chicago. Post a picture of the headstock from the back. The tuners can be used at times to date these.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

It has a Bakelite bridge and Michael Wright in his book reckoned that Kay stopped using this and went back to wood in 1938. Kay started using Kluson tuners in the very late 30s but this mandolin probably has the oblong Waverly type of tuners. As suggested above, post some photos of the back.

I believe in that era and with that headstock—I call it more of a "footstock"—there were generally branded Kay Kraft. Fancier one on this thread. OP's here might be a wholesale model, plain, unlabelled and sold to retailers for their own branding.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Jim that mandolin in the link you provided is a beauty. You can see it has the new style rosewood bridge and Kluson tuners. Kerry Krishna dated it to 1939 which I think is correct- it might be a little later as well- 1940. With regard to the mandolin in this thread, it is almost certainly one sold by a third party. It may be as early as about 1935. Many were sold by Wards unbranded - as opposed to their Recording King line. At one point Wards started getting a date stamped inside their instruments- a month and year and this was done for a while. I would assume that if there was one inside this mandolin, it would have been spotted but it is possible nobody has got around to shining a torch inside . My Wards Model 1642 is dated by its FON as 1936 and there is a Wards stamp that states Feb 1937 inside.