Thread: Peter Ostroushko "Celtic" Christmas CD's

Thumbs up Peter Ostroushko "Celtic" Christmas CD's

I just purchased a used copy of an out of print CD made by Peter Ostroushko and friends, called Christmas Celtic. As far as I can tell, it was sold by Target earlier this decade under Target's private label Lifescape, and is no longer in print, but I found many copies available used online.

I really like this CD, and have played it several times through since receiving it yesterday. Mandolin is featured on nearly every track, but my favorite track is a very haunting version of Coventry Carol, featuring Peter only on fiddle, backed by pipes and a bodhran.

If interested, there are several used sellers listed at Amazon with this recording, ranging from good to like new condition, and from as low as 14 cents to $3.99 and more (including one deluded soul trying to sell a "like new" copy for almost $50):
    link to used options at Amazon

If you like these, there are two other similar disks by Peter and friends as well, also out of print but available used: Holiday Traditions Celtic Christmas Vol 1 & Vol 2. They don't have as much mandolin content, but they are also nicely done, and have a few fun Christmas and Trad pairings (e.g., We Three Kings, & A Rocky Road).

One other similarly themed recording that I enjoy with some mandolin content, also out of print but available used, is the originally titled Celtic Christmas, recorded by some musicians in the Netherlands, and released in the US under by Compass Records.

<NFI disclaimer in all three cases>
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

Default Re: Peter Ostroushko "Celtic" Christmas CD's

Thanks; I got the 14 cent one!

BTW, I should caution that while these CD's seem to be informed or inspired by Irish & Scottish trad, they are not Trad per se -- but there there are some cuts on each that definitely have a Trad feel, and in a few cases actually integrate a Trad tune into a medley, but IMHO they are all superior to the New Agey stuff often peddled as "Celtic" Holiday music this time of year here stateside, and the musicianship on each is solid -- esp. Mr. Ostroushko's mandolin and fiddle playing.
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Thank you for the recommendation. I love Peter's work, no matter the "trad" detail. I ordered one of the used CDs from Amazon. You should get a commission on it.

lol -- I'm just sharing a liuttle joy of the season.

BTW, you should also be able to find another out of print Xmas CD on the used market that he did for Target a while back, IIRC entitled "A Bluegrass Christmas" or something to that effect.
    ~ Mark Twain

There's always the Chieftains' The Bells of Dublin.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Thanks for the lead Martin, that's a great one, and I'm not sure how I've never heard it before -- I just ordered it new from Amazon for $6.99, which also has an audio sample for each track
    ~ Mark Twain

Well, there's no mandolin on it, but it has everything else you could possibly want. Even Elvis Costello.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls