Thread: Phoenix Mandolins...which model is most versatile?

Default Phoenix Mandolins...which model is most versatile?

Hi all... I have been very interested in getting a Phoenix mando for some time now, and may finally have some cash coming up to do so.
    Question is...which model? I will be using for a wide variety of styles (blues, celtic, jazz, folk....much less so for bluegrass).
    I am having a hard time deciding between Phoenix Standard, Neoclassical, and Jazz models. I will be playing mainly acoustic, so the pickups on Jazz model will not get much use. Also most of the playing will be "solo", so volume and cutting through other instruments is not a huge concern. Does anyone have experience with all 3? How does the Jazz model sound acoustically (or is it designed to be amplified mainly)?
    Any insights, experiences, feedback is greatly appreciated?

Thanks!

Default Re: Phoenix Mandolins...which model is most versatile?

My Phoenix Jazz is about as flexible an instrument ad you could wish for.
    It's not as loud as the bluegrass model, but close. Ok chop. But
    most importantly, it sounds great and you can pull a ton of
    different tones from it. Plus, the amped permutations are killer!
    2005 Rigel G5 #2196
    2005 Phoenix Jazz #400
    1988 Jeff Traugott Acoustic #4
    2012 Eastman 905 Archtop Guitar, BLOND!

Remember to grin while you pick, it throws folks off!

Fiddler & Mandolin Player Dave Reiner's Avatar

Don't forget the Ultra - there are some used ones around... Rather versatile, IMHO.

Dave
    '04 Gibson F3, '04 Gibson A4, '06 Gibson F4, '26 Gibson F5, '27 Gibson F4, '87 Givens A6, 2017 Kimble A5

Author, Anthology of Fiddle Styles; Co-author, Oldtime Fiddling Across America
    Genial host, Fiddle Hell Online (coming up on April 11-14, 2024, with 220 concerts, jams, & workshops (incl many for mandolin) and free replays for 4 months)
    Join www.facebook.com/groups/fiddlehellmassachusetts
    Free jams on our YouTube channel YouTube.com/FiddleHell
    More info at fiddlehell.org

I figure you would want the standard, or the jazz if you want a pickup. I own a bluegrass and find it to be the only ff mandolin I need, not limited to bluegrass at all. These are great mandolins and you cannot go wrong, everyone that owns one loves it. The big difference between the models is the tone bar setups and choice of spruce. Rolfe is a super great guy, I went to visit him a few months ago after acquiring mine (used), and he did a great setup, installed a James tailpiece and gave me a tour of his shop. I am dreaming of having him build me a blonde Jazz to go with my Bluegrass. I get compliments on the sound and 2-point design every time I play out with it.

Blog Entries

I have a Phoenix Ultra and a Bluegrass. If you come across a good deal on a Bluegrass, I wouldn't let the name keep you from it. I'm not sure, but I think the Bluegrass used to be called the "Standard." The PBG is a versatile instrument with a full, round tone all the way up the fretboard. I guess I'd have to say it can "outchop" the Ultra, if I don't want to put effort into my chop. It has less sustain than the Ultra, but wouldn't be found lacking in any type of music, imo.

That said, the PBG gets little play, because I flat out adore my Ultra. I get a rush every time I open the case. I always read the classifieds, but whenever I start doing math in my head, I realize how unlikely it is that another mandolin could please me more. Its only limitation is the operator. With other folks, I mostly play bluegrass and fiddle tunes.

Disclaimer: I can't say whether I would like another Ultra as much as mine. Hardcore bluegrass only players aren't as impressed with it as I am.

I had the same experience with my Ultra, which I am sorry I had to let go. It was a great all-round mandolin, good for anything. I let it go because I needed a real good bluegrass axe and the Ultra was a bit lacking in the killer chop department. It sat at Elderly for a number of years during which time I got myself in a position where I could afford a second mandolin of that quality. Just as I was about to call Elderly to inquire, it sold. Arghh! If anyone has Phoenix #195 and is willing to part with it, send me a private message.

Quote Originally Posted by mandolirius View Post
    If anyone has Phoenix #195 and is willing to part with it, send me a private message.
    Funny you should say that. An ad in the classifieds just popped up for a Phoenix bluegrass #195. Not sure if that's what you meant, but I figured I'd point it out.

I just saw that ad and nearly dropped over. That model lists for $4800 now. $1850 is a great price. Awesome mandolin for that money!!!
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Nice looking instruments, every one. Why not ask the makers your questions? They're probably the best qualified to give a good answer. They want you to be happy with what you buy.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Quote Originally Posted by mandobassman View Post
    I just saw that ad and nearly dropped over. That model lists for $4800 now. $1850 is a great price. Awesome mandolin for that money!!!
    I shouldn't be asking this, but please post the link.
    Gunga......Gunga.....Gu-Lunga

That is a great price, someone should snatch that up. It will change your life and go a long way towards curing your MAS.

Quote Originally Posted by mandolirius View Post
    I had the same experience with my Ultra, which I am sorry I had to let go. It was a great all-round mandolin, good for anything. I let it go because I needed a real good bluegrass axe and the Ultra was a bit lacking in the killer chop department. It sat at Elderly for a number of years during which time I got myself in a position where I could afford a second mandolin of that quality. Just as I was about to call Elderly to inquire, it sold. Arghh! If anyone has Phoenix #195 and is willing to part with it, send me a private message.

Wow thats scary. Very scary. Check the classifieds man.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/...uery=retrieval

Here, I'll give you that and I'm not looking at it again for 72 hours. If its still there after that I might do something that I shouldn't.
    Gunga......Gunga.....Gu-Lunga

Quote Originally Posted by ColdBeerGoCubs View Post
    Wow thats scary. Very scary. Check the classifieds man.
    Yeah, I saw that. Very strange because #195 is also the number of the Ultra that's my avatar. Maybe Rolph will see this and fill us in.

As others have said, great mandolins and a great guy. Give Rolfe a call. He will be happy to discuss your needs with you even if you are thinking of a used Phoenix. He may know something about it.
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

#195 is definitely a Bluegrass; #194 is an Ultra. I have sloppy handwriting (should have been a doctor), and sometimes have what Jenny called a "brainphart," so it is not impossible for a number to be miswritten. The Bluegrass model has always been called that. The Standard model was once called the NeoBluegrass (yuck!) and next year will have the more prestigious name of the Select model. Over the years all the models have had significant improvements in wood selection, graduation, fret material, and especially finish. It is always best to e-mail me as I rarely answer the phone in the shop. To answer the question of the post, I think the Select (Standard) is the most versatile.
    Rolfe Gerhardt

Registered User Douglas McMullin's Avatar

I went with a Standard because I wanted versatility and I love it, but I also would have jumped on a Bluegrass if the right deal was present at the time.

Rolfe, How old is #195? The label says it was made in Richmond, Va. I didn't realize you were there before Maine.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Thanks all for the great info!

I bought the Phoenix ultra 194 from elderly years ago that is referenced here. Lovely instrument! Sorry I’m so late replying to this.

Do you still have Ultra 194 and if so would you be willing to sell it? I'm looking for one.

+1 for the Neoclassical here, it can cover anything bar bluegrass. Surprising amount of volume when used with regular 10-34/10-38 strings (wouldn't go heavier than that due to the thin top), but you do lose out on the delicate tone and ease of play you get from Thomastiks. Unfortunately I can't use the TIs because they corrode within a week for me, but the regular PBs sound just fine too.
    2008 Phoenix Neoclassical
    2018 Lowden F50 Bog Oak/Lutz
    1965 Guild Starfire VI