Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: String Bending

Default Re: String Bending

Andrew Marlin does some string bending to pretty cool effect in my opinion...
    2003 John Sullivan F5 "Roy"
    2015 Heiden F Artist
    2019 Ruhland F5 #35

I have use string bending quite a lot in the past. It is an effect, not to change a note 1/2 step up. It took me a while to bend both strings the same, you need to press firmly on the fretboard against the strings and don't try to go too far. It has a nice effect if done correctly.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

I like it when Rich Del Grosso does it.

But my advice is: If you dont like it, don't do it.

Solved!
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Hart View Post
    After reading a comment on a different thread about string bending, I just realized how much I dislike string bending on a mandolin. Every time I have heard it being done, (at least in a bluegrass setting), it sounds discordant. I think the problem is that the tightness of the strings do not allow you to bend the notes to a full step or even a half a step and it just sounds cheesy. Being a former rock guitarist, I appreciate the use of string bending, especially in a blues setting, but on a mandolin not so much. Again, this is my opinion and no disrespect to those that do.
    I do it strictly to annoy. I'll try it on something once and watch for cringing in the audience...if I notice any, I'll keep doing it
    too many strings

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

A few things just sound better when you choke a note. Choking is a slight bend, and easily accomplished on the mandolin with a little practice. I do choke notes, for instance, when playing CCR's Green River I'll choke the D note on A string to mimic what Fogarty did there.

I haven't tried to bend 1/2 step much less a whole step, generally find another way to play blues stuff that would cry out for that on guitar. But choking notes is a great tool to have in your arsenal for the mandolin IMHO

When I was very new at mandolin, I produced a tutorial to show how I was at that time working out how I might play Green River on mandolin. Like most of my amateur mandolin tutorials, it is not polished at all, but it does show how I choke that D note and where it fits. The tutorial is here, and the choking of the D note is discussed at around the 1:23 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWMmAJ0cevo

BTW, when searching the google machine for the meaning of "choked note" you'll find a different usage of that term. For me, choking means to make a slight bend of approximately 1/4 step. I picked up that terminology from the Tabledit program, which has a button in the toolbar for rendering a choked note while transcribing. Prior to that, I didn't know what it was called other than a "slight bend".
    Last edited by Mark Gunter; Dec-11-2022 at 12:11pm.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

BTW I always bend my strings at the post hole before winding to pitch. Any little thing to help prevent slippage.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by killerstiver View Post
    I like to do everything on mandolin that I do on guitar!?
    Ahh but do you do everything on guitar that you do on mandolin.

I have a friend who is predominantly a guitarist, but he now does tremolo on guitar. He calls it mandolin envy.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

I don't care for string bending on mandolin, myself. But I surprise myself in how much I avoid innovation.

I especially don't care for it on electric mandolin. I think one of the few areas electric mandolin is distinguished from electric guitar is in the use of string bending. Ahh, maybe Niles is right. Maybe the distinction between the two electric instruments is gone already.

The entire staff
    funny....

The electric instrument of course is different in that it acts as a prompter for sundry electronic processing of the signal. There's an attainable effect for every sound imaginable - you can sound like a sitar, chorus of angels, Roland saw, noise, whatever you want, on any electric device you want. The primary variables are electronic (pickup, amp, processing treatment), and aspects such as scale length, string gauge, bridge, box construction, etc - all very significant in effecting acoustic sound - are comparably minimal factors in sound production. Of course, there are structural/ergonomic differences (between elec mndln and elec gtr) that produce sound differences: lesser pitch range per string bend on mndln, for example, vibrato, etc..

Blog Entries

My thinking is that string bending on the mandolin may be great as an artistic choice. The little I have heard and tried did not excite me.

String bending on the mandolin because it's what one does on guitar, I dunno. But again, I get no awards for innovation.

The entire staff
    funny....