Thread: any thoughts on this 1908 Vinaccia bowlback mandolin?

Smile any thoughts on this 1908 Vinaccia bowlback mandolin?

Hello all, I recently came across this Fratelli Vinaccia bowlback mandolin, and was wondering if any of you out there might want to offer an opinion on its appearance, history, possible value, and anything else that might be of interest. It came with a case that fits it perfectly, although the case has seen better days!

Thanks in advance!

2 foot length

Tag inside clearly says:

F.lli Vinaccia Fu Ple & C.
    Fabricanti Di Strumenti Armonici
    Formitori della R. Casa d'Italia
    Primo Premiq Chicago 1893
    Primo Premiq London 1898
    Via Guglielao Sanfelice 22 - NAPOLI
    Anno 1908

This tag features 3 distinct handwritten signatures, including one that clearly says "Fratelli Vinaccia" right above the handwritten-date of "1908"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	full_pose.jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	80517
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	inside_sigs.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	132.7 KB 
ID:	80519   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back_pose.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	80518  

Default Re: any thoughts on this 1908 Vinaccia bowlback mandolin?

Are you selling it or are you interested in this one which bears a striking resemblance

We beat you to it (or Martin did): Good opportunity for a 1908 Fratelli Vinaccia bowlback
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Hi Jim, I am just trying to gauge the interest and value of it. I just got it handed down, and am honestly not sure what to do with it or about it. I'm not a string player but am a drummer, so it has not a lot of use for me, except for the family connection. Thanks in advance for your comments!

Very cool, tho. Your grandfather played it? Do you know what kind of music?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I come from an Italian family, and the story goes that this mandolin came right through Ellis Island with my grandfather in 1912. So the story goes, anyway...

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Hmmm.
    Bill

Thanks, Bill. your insight helped tremendously. Because I'm relaying a story that has no bearing on the actual value or condition of the instrument, you felt compelled to add THAT?!? Hmmmm, Indeed.

Jeff, the Cafe has rules that prohibit using forum discussions to promote the sale of your own instrument. That's the reason for the "hmmm." I'd say you haven't actually crossed that line but you're pretty close to it. There is a Classified section and you're welcome to post an ad in it.

Your ad says you've already had it informally appraised; I'm curious about how and where the appraisal was obtained.

I see that the bridge is busted and will need to be replaced; there's also a crack in the end of the fretboard. This may have resulted from low-humidity storage, and I would take it as a warning sign to inspect the instrument for other structural problems. I don't see any obvious cracks or seam separations in the top or ribs, which is an encouraging sign. I'm not sure of the restoration costs for the bridge and fretboard, but they could be a couple hundred or more.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I do apologize for my snarkiness, Martin. I was not actively trying to sell this instrument on this website, I was just looking for general feedback, but I can see where it might appear that way. My "informal" appraisal was simply what other people had written online about similar Vinaccia mandolins and such (playable condition, year, signatures, etc.)

Again, my apologies. BTW I actually did cross-post by mistake as well (lesson learned there, too).

Also, thanks for the details on what you see/saw. That is exactly what I what I was hoping to hear from those who are far more educated about these matters than myself! I'm actually trying to decide whether to restore and keep it in the family, or part ways with something I won't likely ever use.

Again, my sincere apologies. Selling/appraising it via this forum was not my intention. Have a nice evening, Martin.

Fair enough ... if you can shoot some more closeups of other parts of the instrument, we might be able to tell you more. I like shooting outdoors in strong natural light, which can be quite a challenge in the Seattle area.

It doesn't seem very fancy as Vinaccias go ... with just 17 frets and rather plain appointments it's more likely a student model than a professional model. It may or may not have had a tailpiece cover at one time.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls