Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mid-Mo (Big Muddy) Mando ???

Default Mid-Mo (Big Muddy) Mando ???

Howdy, Looking for my first Mandolin, was wondering what your opinions are of the Mid-Mo aka Big Muddy mandolins. American made and all solid wood ?

Thanks in advance
    Bill
    De Oppresso Liber

Default Re: Mid-Mo (Big Muddy) Mando ???

In my opinion you won't do any better. Check out the Big Muddy Social Group. Lots of positive feedback and samples of playing. Good luck and welcome to the Cafe!
    >>>===> Dave

Blog Entries

They are a very good product and offer a range of tonal options. Welcome to the Cafe.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Thank you so much for the advice guys !! There is one for sale in the classifieds, thinking of contacting the guy about it

Thanks again
    Bill
    De Oppresso Liber

Can't go wrong with a Mid-Mo/Big Muddy -- and if you have to buy sight-unseen, the cafe's classifieds section is a good way to go too.
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

This was my first "real mandolin", and I could not be happier. The tone is sweet and they are just all around good little mandos (granted, I am pretty wet behind the ears mandolin wise, but thanks to my dad I've handled a few). I may buy another of a differing wood configuration just because....because. Also, the maker, Mike Dulak is a heck of a nice guy who is very responsive to questions. Go for it.
    Big Muddy M-4
    1908 Gibson A

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

I thought the shape of these was pretty odd when I first saw them. A pal has one though, that he keeps here at work, and I have played it often. Looks can be deceiving. The one in the classifieds is $300. A lot of mandolin for that money. I haven't tracked them really, but it seems the price bottoms out at around that (or higher) so it is almost a no-risk investment. Go for it!

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

I have both an M-2 (maple) mandolin and an M-16 (morado "rosewood") mandola. They are great for the money. They don't have a bluegrass tone, but would be ideal for Celtic, Old Time, Folk, just about anything else. The design is simplicity itself, no truss rod adjustments or adjustable bridge to fuss with. If you ever have to adjust the action you have to buy higher or lower bridges from Mike Dulak. Some owners keep 3 different height bridges to allow for temperature/humidity changes, but what kind of extremes are they getting exposed to? I've never had to do anything to mine. Just keep it in the case, where it should be if you aren't playing it, and humidify it when needed. They do have a steel neck stiffener "truss rod" but non adjustable. On mine again, never an issue. The necks haven't moved one bit. Mike always seems to find exceptional woods. At his price point, I've been tempted to collect an example of each of the wood choices!
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Don, I actually have a Big Muddy bridge on a Kalamazoo KM11. It had major top sinkage issues that called for rebracing. I wound up needing a slightly taller bridge than the original and my pal with the Big Muddy, like you, had a spare. Nice bridge and the KM sounds very responsive with it.

The mandolin profile still seems kind of odd to me, but I appreciate the simple elegance (I love Shaker furniture) and focus on the wood and (especially) tone quality. The ebony fretboards do look very nice. Not for me to say, but I wonder if Mike could go with all domestic woods and still keep his clientele. I have a hunch he could. All around solid product.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

I absolutely love my Muddy. I have the M4: Rosewood/Spruce. The tone always lifts my spirits! I love it so much, I'm actually upgrading it, rather than trading up to another mandolin. Mike Dulak is the best. For the price, quality and service .... Big Muddy is most certainly among the best in the business.
    Just visiting.

1923 Gibson A jr Paddlehead mandolin
    Newish Muddy M-4 Mandolin
    New Deering Goodtime Special open back 17 Fret Tenor Banjo

Another voice for Big Muddy. It is a work horse of an instrument... Perfect for beginners. And the used price is great as mentioned above... These are purchased by serious beginners and those looking for elegant simplicity. People tend to upgrade to more expensive instruments if they take to mandolin so there are a lot of fine used instruments in excellent condition on the market at any given time. A wonderful choice.
    Bart McNeil

Loretta:
    Love your quote at the bottom!!!
    Bart McNeil

Quote Originally Posted by Loretta Callahan View Post
    I absolutely love my Muddy. I have the M4: Rosewood/Spruce. The tone always lifts my spirits! I love it so much, I'm actually upgrading it, rather than trading up to another mandolin. Mike Dulak is the best. For the price, quality and service .... Big Muddy is most certainly among the best in the business.
    What is the upgrade?

I have lots of posts, responses to questions about Mid Missouri/Big muddy Mandolins. Great, I own 2 and love them both.

Hey Wild Bill, did you end up getting that one from the classifieds you were looking at? If so, please make sure you tell us how you like it.
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

They are good mandolins. I have one.

I've been playing my M-2 Mid-Mo for 8 years now and still love it! It's the best beginner-intermediate mandolin i can think of, plus the added bonus of being made in the USA!

I own a big muddy m2 and love it.

- In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven. - Matthew 5:16

Can't take credit for it .... it's an homage to lovable town drunks. I think the Andy Griffith Show was the last place they were honored in the media.

Quote Originally Posted by bmac View Post
    Loretta:
    Just visiting.

Can't take credit for it .... it's an homage to lovable town drunks. I think the Andy Griffith Show was the last place they were honored in the media.

Quote Originally Posted by bmac View Post
    Loretta:
    I'm getting a radiused fretboad, new tailpiece and a fancy pants Celtic Knot design around the soundhole ... and the added bonus of getting to have email conversations with Mike Dulak of Big Muddy .... who is a real delight.

Quote Originally Posted by bildio View Post
    What is the upgrade?
    Just visiting.

Big Muddy/Mid-Missouri are great mandolins! I've had my M-2 for 10 years now, and I love it!

I have a Mid-Mo M-3 as a second mandolin. It is a great little mando that is fun to play with a nice tone and good volume. It does not have the bass response of my Collings but it did not cost $3,000 either. Many people compare these to Flatiron pancake mandos. I have been owned by both but prefer the Mid-Mo since the fretboard is more comfortable for my hands when I play for long stretches of time. What is especially gratifying for me about Mid-Mos is that my friend Mike Dulak makes them. Mike lived for many years in Moscow, Idaho and was and is an all-around nice guy!

Best wishes,

Sam

Couple of Mid-Mo/Big Muddy's in the classified adds today, an M-3 and an M-11.
    NFI
    How bad is MAS? We don't yet have our first mandolin(supposed to be here Mon. or Tues.) and
    we are already thinking about buying a second.
    Pretty sure it will be a Mid/Mo too.

Blog Entries

Can't miss starter mando. Easy fretting, great tone. Hooked me solid on mando.
    George Wilson
    Weber Bighorn Mandolin
    ca. 1900 Clifford Mandolinetto
    Martin Guitars

Quote Originally Posted by GRW3 View Post
    Can't miss starter mando. Easy fretting, great tone. Hooked me solid on mando.
    What model do you have?
    I spent ninety percent of my money on wine, women and song and just wasted the other ten percent.

-- Ronnie Hawkins