Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: R L Givens

Default Re: R L Givens

I've owned #631, a 1992 A6, for about a year and a half and really enjoy it. It's got strong mids, nice sparkly highs, and a chop that really wallops. A previous owner had this one black topped at some point, and though not original, I dig it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4896.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	116476Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4907.jpg 
Views:	357 
Size:	125.2 KB 
ID:	116474Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4900.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	126.0 KB 
ID:	116475
    "Straight ahead and strive for tone."

-Antoine Batiste, Treme

Andrew Marlin from Mandolin Orange plays one. An old A model...
    ===================================
    ... I'm a California Man!

Nice find Eddie! Last time a saw you I was playing a Givens F5 with the wheat inlay.

I bought a new Givens F5, #120, in 1978. I traded in to Greg Boyd in 2003 where Chad Fadely bought it. A few years ago it turned up in the cafe classified, for sale by a fellow in Florida, Doug Bates if I remember correctly. Out of curiosity, I'd be interested to know where it is now. If anybody on the list has it or knows of it, I love to hear from them.

I owned a Givens A-style #215 (1981, I think) for roughly 15 years. From dryseptember's description, it was an A5, and it was in near mint condition save one small ding in the top. I purchased it used from a Eugene OR music shop in about 1985. For some bizarre reason (probably before I was aware of the hype and mystique surrounding Givens mandolins!), I eventually sold it. It later showed up on the Cafe listed by someone else, so it changed hands at least a couple of times. Always wondered where it went. It was a good mandolin, but IMHO for my genre (not bluegrass), not a great one (MUCH prefer my Passernig A5!), although it was quite loud.
    Too many instruments...too little time

Hey guys, I have a 1976 Ode A5. Does that count for me to join the group? Lol

Ode mandolins were made by R.L. Givens in Tut Taylor's shop... Mega-mojo imho... How does it sound?

It sounds amazing!!! Is that an Eastman in your Avatar pic? The cool part about the Ode is that it has such a pure sound, it sounds like a modern mandolin.

My Avatar is a "The Loar" 600 that I revoiced and refinished over a year ago...

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...-to-a-blacktop

I bought the thing as a derelict on ebay and re-made it...

Man, great job. I love what you have done with it! I bet it sounds great It's amazing what a little work and care will do for an instrument.

11. The following members say thank you to atbuckner21 for this post:

I really love the sound that Andrew Marlin was getting from his Givens. He's moved on to another mandolin now but man the tone he got out of that Givens was awesome!!

13. The following members say thank you to Perry Babasin for this post:

Thanks for sharing this. It's so nice to see a Givens played. I love the signature design elements that the Ode shares with the later Givens mandolins.

I dug this video out because I suspect that, from the look and history of yours, the sound and tone potential is probably similar. Andrew's was a very early Givens. I saw your picture in the other thread! Cheers!

Thanks so much
    TKD Falcon F5

I am the one and only owner of a Givens A-5 made in 1979, #179. I'll have to post a video some day, the sound is better now than it was 30 years ago.
    "Those who know don't have the words to tell, and the ones with the words don't know so well." - Bruce Cockburn

18. The following members say thank you to Teak for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by atbuckner21 View Post
    Hey guys, I have a 1976 Ode A5. Does that count for me to join the group? Lol
    Good question actually. Bob Givens was definitely the designer of the Ode. Bob partnered with Tut Taylor --I don't think it was in Bob's nature to work FOR anyone. They purchased the old Grammer factory together in Nashville and the Ode was an attempt to make an inexpensive production mandolin and they landed a contract with Baldwin. During the production of the "Ode" Givens was also making his own Givens mandolins. The partnership only lasted a few months-- money started to disappear and not by Bob so Bob, under cover of night it's been reported, grabbed his jigs and equipment and split for the Coast thereby ending the "partnership". So how much of Bob's hand is involved in an Ode? ----????

20. The following members say thank you to barney 59 for this post:

I own Givens #404. It is an Shereton Brown A-3 from 1988. I bought it on consignment from Elderly about 5 years ago. I know it was also once at Greg Boyd's as I found it in his archives. It is a great mandolin. Very responsive, loud with a fantastic dry woody chop.

Oops, actually the number is 176, not 179. (I was going by memory and too lazy to look through the f-hole.)
    "Those who know don't have the words to tell, and the ones with the words don't know so well." - Bruce Cockburn

Hey There,

Really cool to find this thread! I was looking into the history of Givens mandolin - it lead me back to the Mandolin Cafe'! Imagine that!

I have had Givens #131 for several years now. I got it from Mandomutt in North Carolina who had acquired it from the Mandolin Store (I think I have that right...it's been a few years). Just as described, not the best looking mandolin but boy does it have tone. I would describe it as a very focused tone. Straight ahead, no overtones or anything, just punchy and straight ahead. I think it was built in the late '70s.

I just acquired #631 - the black topped mando pictured above. Kind of cool to see how things had changed exactly 500 mandolins later...this one was built in '92. We are still getting to know each other. It has much prettier wood used on the back and sides - see above, really beautiful. A more complex tone, prettier, but still very punchy in the midrange. The action is low and it sounds and plays great. I tend to play fairly hard and like to have a higher action so I'm going to adjust it a bit when I have some time. Just really enjoy playing it.

That's all for now. Just wanted to let previous owners of these two fine mandolins know that they have found a good home.

Kirk Miller
    Portland, OR

24. The following members say thank you to tiltman for this post:

Teak 

I have #533.

It is my understanding that Givens just supervised the building of the Ode`s but not actually building them himself, said to be built from the specs of the one and only Gibson A-5 signed by Loar...I owned one and the finish was way too thick and it took some time to get it thin enough for the mandolin to sound good, they seem to project more that the player thinks they are.....I sold mine to a lady in Texas that was thrilled to get it, she may have known something that i didn`t....

Willie

I know it's been a while since anyone posted on this thread, but I thought I'd add my Givens to the list. I own an A4, #634, it's dated 2/13/92. I bought it new from Greg Boyd. It's a great instrument. Recently had it set up by Will Kimble. He replaced the nut and refit the bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by FleaCircus View Post
    I know it's been a while since anyone posted on this thread, but I thought I'd add my Givens to the list. I own an A4, #634, it's dated 2/13/92. I bought it new from Greg Boyd. It's a great instrument. Recently had it set up by Will Kimble. He replaced the nut and refit the bridge.
    A4? Could you post a picture, please? I didn't know that Bob made an A4 version so would like to see what they look like. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Mack View Post
    I have #645 signed 1/1/92. It is an A4.
    Older post, but I thought I’d respond.

I have Givens A4 #634 dated 2/13/92. I think it’s interesting that the dates and sequential numbers don’t align with your A4.

aaa