Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a free "slow down" download?

Default Is there a free "slow down" download?

I would really love to learn some of Kym Warner, Jesse Cobb and Andy Falco's version of Angeline the Baker that I found on YouTUbe. Is there a download somewhere that would allow me to slow down what they're playing for a better chance to learn it? I could listen to it over and over and get it into my ears, but I don't quite have the time for that process if I could get some additional help. I'm not very technologically proficient, so it would have to be something I could grasp. I would be most grateful for any leads, if such a thing exists free on the Internet. Thanksl
    Daniel Kaufman

Default Re: Is there a free "slow down" download?

I use Audacity for that. Works great and it's open source.

I like the amazing slower downer http://www.audiosnail.com/AudioSnail/index.asp
    Although you can record from YouTube with Audacity and slow the tempo.
    --- Fiddlemike

Fiddle: A violin played with attitude
    Banjo: Best with whiskey and a rocking chair
    Mandolin: Let the Madness begin!

There is one for the iPad called slow down player.it works pretty well but you have to have the song on the iPad.
    Weber Bitteroot Custom
    Eastman 905D 2 point
    Scott Cao 850
    Taylor NS34CE
    "You have to go out on a limb, that is where the fruit is"

Another vote for Audacity. It also let's you change the key if you need too. Very capable for a free open source software.

Best practice if you are running windows.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Love Audacity. Multitrack recording feature and a lot more.
    Steve
    Steve Sorensen
    Sorensen Mandolin & Guitar Co.
    www.sorensenstrings.com

I find Transcribe to be the best one. Hardly costs anything but is yours for life updated at least once a year, for free.

Windows media player, right click the play button and select (Slow Playback) It works for me!
    I never fail at anything, I just succeed at doing things that never work....

Fylde Touchstone Walnut Mandolin.
    Gibson Alrite Model D.

Being a Scotsman I am inherently cheap, but even I see great value in Amazing Slow Downer's iPad App, which costs all of $15

Thanks only to the app, this week I have conquered the impossibly complex Chris Thile intro to Dolly Parton's I Get a Kick Out of You on her Little Sparrow bluegrass album.

OK, OK, I admit it. I can almost play it. At 40 percent of the original speed.

ron

Music Trainer is $5.99 and has worked well for me so far.
    Grady F5 (#65)
    Harmony A Model ("The Scorcher")

“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. I WILL learn to play this thing !(adapted from Coolidge)

OK, I have downloaded Audacity and I already have Windows Media Player. How do I get the YouTube video into either of those programs to use them to slow down the music?
    Daniel Kaufman

for the Ipad and Iphone the free app TEMPO SLOMO works great with excellent fidelity even at 50% of the original tempo. For the mac, I suggest gAssistant which is free from the mac app store and can slow the tempo below 50% of the original tempo.

Quote Originally Posted by FrDNicholas View Post
    OK, I have downloaded Audacity and I already have Windows Media Player. How do I get the YouTube video into either of those programs to use them to slow down the music?
    See the instructions here http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001137.htm
    --- Fiddlemike

Fiddle: A violin played with attitude
    Banjo: Best with whiskey and a rocking chair
    Mandolin: Let the Madness begin!

I followed the instructions as per the link, but when I hit the red record button I get an error message, "Error while opening the sound device. Please check input device settings and the project sample rate" Can you tell me what this means and how to fix it? Thanks.
    Daniel Kaufman

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlemike View Post
    This looks to be for Windows. I tried to "translate" it to a Mac without success. Is there a link for how to do this on a Mac somewhere?

Spencer

Is there a similar tutorial for using the slow down feature of Windows Media player?
    Daniel Kaufman

Is there a similar tutorial for using the slow down feature of Windows Media player?
    I just tried this out myself, and all you have to do is play a song in Windows Media Player, and then right click on the 'play' button and choose 'slow playback.' Alternatively, you could just press 'Ctrl+Shift+S' to slow playback.

Kyle

I guess my question is: How do I get a YouTube video into Windows Media Player? I don't see a download button on the YouTUbe video that I would like to slow down to learn.
    Daniel Kaufman

I guess my question is: How do I get a YouTube video into Windows Media Player? I don't see a download button on the YouTUbe video that I would like to slow down to learn.
    If you want to play the song in Windows Media Player, you can use Audacity to record the audio. I haven't had much luck on my new computer with audacity recording or slowing down the recordings. It worked fine on my old computer. I downloaded Freerecorder which is great. It installs a toolbar and on your browser and you can record the audio from any website as well as record youtube videos. There are also a bunch of other tools that come with it such as internet radio and other ones that I haven't tried. Freerecorder is great when it works. I installed it yesterday and so far it has worked. It stopped working after a while on my old computer and I was sad to see it go since it was so easy- just one click recording. A lot of people will also recommend Transcribe! and Amazing Slow Downer, both which are $50 but you can get a one month trial with each of them.
    Gibson F5G
    Kentucky km-600
    20+ electric guitars, banjos, bass guitars, and a fiddle

I use a free video player instead of windows. it's called VLC. comes with all the codecs installed for divX and crap. the fast forward/slow down arrows right on the face will slow stuff down without a lot of sound loss. I learned a Don Ross guitar tune a while back and had to use that to see what the hell his fingers were doing... tight trite night. talk about rocking an acoustic guitar.

I mentioned Karafun in another thread. free download karaoke program. you can change tempo or even pitch on the fly... even remembers your choice when you play that song again (I like Journey but that dude sings too high for me some songs)

Clip grab is a free download and with it you can download "most" any youtube video in an mp3 format, which is what you need to slow it down with Windows Media player..

Media will also slow down videos as well

Blog Entries

I've used www.youtube-mp3.org/ to make mp3s of videos w/o malware problems.

Then I use Transcribe! to slow down and loop.

You can download and try it for free for 30 days. I almost guarantee you will buy it the day it expires. Best music software I own.

If you're running Chrome then Youtube gives you playback speed options - half speed, 1.5 speed ext - a feature not available with Explorer. Also, I have an iphone and downloaded a free app called Tempo that lets me import music files and then slow them down and it's awesome. We're in a golden age of learning in my opinion!