Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blues Mandolin

Don't tell my friends toward the top of this discussion board that I'm down here, but my first blues mandolin music just arrived today. Everyone refers to how Bill had the blues and the blue notes he used, and my second favorite player is Compton...so I thought it would be wise to add some blues to my homework. Yank Rachell's Blue Goose recording just came into my life. I think Divin' Duck Blues as well as Shotgun Blues may well be the greatest thing since mass produced strings. #If any of you all do not own this record, from a die hard grasser, do yourself a favor.
    "If a man listening will let it, bluegrass will transmit right into your heart...if you really love bluegrass music it will dig in a long ways" #-WSM

Welcome to the dark side.
    mandollusional Mike

I don't own the Yank Rachell record of Diving Duck but Steve James does it (Yank Rachell's version) on his Blues Mandolin video. You might want to check it out as he analyses Rachell's version pretty thoroughly and guides the learner through it. Since James obviously admires Rachell a great deal I suspect that he is pretty fairhful to Rachell's version. The video is a bit advanced for the beginner but to someone with some background and facility it is a very good learning tool. For those with some experience I would highly recommend the James video.

James accompaniest on the guitar, John Sebastian (sp?), owns (one of?) Rachell's mandolin. It is an amplified Harmony and is seen in photos of Rachell, though this one is screaming fire engine red, most likely refinished,
    Bart McNeil

I just picked up a Yank Rachell cd the other day.(what timing!)
    I got one called Yank Rachell's Tennesee Jug-Busters, Mandolin Blues. So far I like it. Unfortunately it does not have Divin' Duck Blues on it which I heard is one of his best songs. Anyone else heard this disc?
    Kirk

can't go wrong with any yank stuff. welcome down here with the rest of us bluesmandofolks. play some 7ths, bend, slide and dig deep inside. da blues are where its at my friend.
    peace,
    ira
    btw- interested in some of you blues guys checking out the cut on the www.ezfolk.com site (my band is listed under not otherwise specified) called things change. an old jugband blues type tune i wrote- just about all 7ths. simple, but i like it. tell me what you think....:blues:

BMAC, actually , I have that instructional and as you say very good and helpful. Interestingly, the version of DIVIN DUCK BLUES that Steve does , while musically and technically very "ON", the Blue Goose record version by Yank does not have any common lyrics except the "river was whiskey" and the "train" verse. I wonder where Steve got those lyrics? regardless, definitely a "must have" record, I regret it took me so long to come around. I must become one with the 7th.
    "If a man listening will let it, bluegrass will transmit right into your heart...if you really love bluegrass music it will dig in a long ways" #-WSM

i like that become one with the 7th...deeeeeep! maybe if we all do it at once we can convert more mandoplayers to the blues side of life.:D

The 7th, yes, but don't forget the 9th especially on some of the Hendrix stuff. Try "Red House" with the mando, The intro sounds so cool. #Also fingerpicking out some slower acoustic blues like Mississippi John Hurt. J
    Johnsmusic

just getting into 9ths, but you are right, just a funky, low down sound....now, i've gotta learn redhouse- chords???

It's just an A blues shuffle the intro starts at the top.J
    Johnsmusic

Ira:

After much searching on the ezfolk site (looked everywhere but in the obvious spot) I found your music and greatly enjoyed hearing your arrangements. I assume some of the songs are original. Haven't been able to listen to them all yet but am quite impressed. Nice blues harp too.
    Bart McNeil

Probably a dumb question, but how do you pronounce Yank Rachell's last name?
    Kirk

I'm a little new to this - I'm a recovering guitar player.

There seems to be a lack (exclude the Steve James video) of
    blues mandolin tab. I can't find any anywhere.

Does anyone have a good web site (aside from the cafe) where
    this stuff is available?

I'm new to the mandolin, and expect delivery in the not-too-distant future, and want some nice blues stuff to play.

Hi guys. I'm glad too for another blues mandolin man (or woman!). I really like Steve Jame's version of Diving Duck Blues. I will try playing it at a jam in little Kimbalton, Iowa on Dec. 18th and will perform it for a seniors dinner (old folks with food) in January.
    My wife and I will do a mix of Gospel and blues for those folks. I can't pick like Yank or Steve, so I will copy Steve's mando intro and then do an instrumental on harp.
    Best holiday wishes! Jack
    smilnJackB

two things.
    1. prounced "rayshell"
    2. don't know who if any of you guys beside bmac (thanks for the nice comments) gave a listen, but things change is the number one listened to song on ezfolk.com today. woohoo!
    thanks,
    ira

a few guys pm'd me re: not finding our section. the artists section on www.ezfolk.com to be clicked is under the yellow banner on top-audio hosting, then to our band "not otherwise specified"
    thanks
    btw- lots of other great blues stuff- some on uke- interesting.

"There seems to be a lack (exclude the Steve James video) of
    blues mandolin tab. I can't find any anywhere."

You may be right... I haven't looked very hard... But with your background in guitar I should think you will pick up mandolin fairly easily. Two albums which I have found very useful for learning are Louie Bluie By Howard Armstrong. Another interesting one is The Chicago String Band with Johnny Young playing mandolin and singing. Both of these are good learning tools in my opinion. There are, of course, lots of other blues albums to learn from.

My learning experience has been a little different from yours as I have very little eyesignt to rely on so I, of necessity, focus on the sound of various blues players and try to learn from them. I became fairly proficient on guitar years ago so learning the mando has not been particularly difficult. I think you will find it fairly easy as well. Keep in mind that reading music is not a necessity in learning to play the blues. Many of the greats couldn't read any form of written music either.
    Bart McNeil

voodoo child on mando is very sweet in my opinion.

this album is a must have if your into blues
    mando......instead of looking for TAB try just listening to this stuff and cop some of the licks by ear...it's albout the feel....and that feel is hard to pull off of TAB reference.

BTW Carl Martin is a favorite of mine.

Various Artists
    Mandolin Blues
    [TCD6004] $13.49
    $10.99
    Mandolin Blues

Although little-heard on commercial recordings after the 1940s, the mandolin played a significant role in the history of blues, with its first use probably dating back as far as that of the more familiar guitar. Throughout the '20s and '30s, the distinctive sound of this little instrument could be heard throughout the South and showed up on several recordings. A number of musicians continued to play and perform blues on the mandolin into the '60s. Through the perseverance of the pate Pete Welding in tracking down and documenting older traditional blues styles, we can hear these unique performances. Among the sidemen on these 1960s recordings are Sleepy John Estes, Taj Mahal, Little Walter, and Jimmy Walker. HighTone Testament series.

Tracks:
    Yank Rachell
    Dig My Buddy, Joe
    Smokey Joe
    Rainy Day Blues
    My Baby's Gonna Jump and Shout
    Carl Martin
    Everyday I Have the Blues
    Gravedigger Blues
    Willie Hatcher
    Garbage Man Blues
    Crawdad
    Waiting Just for You
    Ted Bogan
    Mary, Run to the Window
    Johnny Young
    Highway 61
    Jumpin On Eight
    Stealin'
    Mandolin Rock
    I Tried to Get You Off My Mind
    Bumble Bee
    Crawling Kingsnake

http://www.hightone.com/product....34845ed

Yes, it is about feel However, tab is a valuable time saver for me.

Another source of Mandolins Blues is Rich DelGrosso. #Some examples of his work can be found here:

http://www.mandolinmagazine.com/workshops/delgrosso/

He has a monthly column on Blues in the Mandolin Magazine that is worth the subscription price (I am still working on his piece on slide Mandolin from a few years ago!)

Ken
    Ken Barry

Ken -

Thank you. That's real valuable.

wannabe mandolin wizzard bluesmandolinman's Avatar

Perry

I love this CD too. Carl Martin is really great , no doubt !

But my favorite song from this CD is "Garbage Man Blues" from Willie Hatcher....
    Carl Martin - Everyday I have the Blues

My gear : 1927 A0/Ajr , JM-11 , Fender 346 white XH

guess i have another cd to buy. lucky its the holiday season!
    thanks for the tip.

just ordered at the hightone link above.
    2-5 days woohoo!