Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blues Mandolin

Oh yeah...I just love that Garbage Man Blues!

got the mandolin blues cd today from hightone, and have listened a whole bunch already.though all are good, and yank always sounds right to me (rainy day blues are killer), most ipressed with carl martin (both songs, but especially everyday i have the blues)-his style was so clean and such flow, and the johnny young stuff. man, johnny plays that mando with a hard attack style-raucus, and definitely more modern sounding. highway 61, stealin, and mandolin rock blew me away, but i thought all of his cuts were killer. the willie hatcher stuff was good, but i didn't love the feel as much as the other 3 guys i just listed, (sorry garbageman blues lovers- i thought crawdad was a better tune- aaaaaah, a song for everyone on this cd). the one low point for me was ted bogan, not so much his mando as his voice kinda downed it for me (on one hand, glad there was only one tune, on the other, not sure if one tune let me give him enough of a chance).

it was fascinating the different styles, colors of tune, feels, etc.. that each of these guys threw onto these beautiful old blues tunes. all so different...

anyway, thanks for the heads up on this- a great purchase which i too shall now recommend to all.

peace blueslovers,
    ira:blues:

wannabe mandolin wizzard bluesmandolinman's Avatar

Hey ira i knew you would like it

I canīt deside myself which of the players I like the best , because my preferences are changing from time to time... but my love for Mandolin in Blues didnīt change since many years #
    Carl Martin - Everyday I have the Blues

My gear : 1927 A0/Ajr , JM-11 , Fender 346 white XH

when thinking about why one player attracted me more than others, it was there vocal cadence and the mando tone and phrasing that seems to do it for me. when i play those straight out blues, i seem to play and phrase similarly to martin, thats whats in my head, voice and fingers. though i love yank, still haven't gotten the feel (though working on it) of those wonderful trills and licks while singing.
    as i said, definitely something for everyone on this disc...

The thing about Yank is that he tunes down to open E; so you can't really cop his licks without retuning.

Great CD though!

ok, multiple (aright- nonstop) listening to this cd- new favorite track, though one of the shortest tunes on the disc- waitin here for you. singing, mando, all are wonderful. also pretty impressed that hatcher tremolo'd the solo starting on the low courses of the instrument- not so common as i listen to all of these guys. what a great tune!!!!