Thread: Budget USB microphone for home use?

Default Budget USB microphone for home use?

Any recommendations out there for an inexpensive computer (USB) microphone for recording/Skype/etc? And by inexpensive I mean around $50 or so probably...

thanks, David

Default Re: Budget USB microphone for home use?

I have the Samson C01U which works very well for me - probably out of your price range new, but look on the evil bay and you should find second hand ones within your budget (that's where I got mine). They make cheaper models as well, but you know you get what you pay for....

Are there computer mics that do the Budget sound job, thru non music equipment type stores?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by Tavy View Post
    I have the Samson C01U which works very well for me - probably out of your price range new, but look on the evil bay and you should find second hand ones within your budget (that's where I got mine). They make cheaper models as well, but you know you get what you pay for....
    Not so far out of the range, from Amazon US (maybe more expensive in the UK?)
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

They have 9 used for 44 there right now!
    Kip...
    Blessings,
    Kip...

If you think you can or think you can't... you're likely right!

Eastman MD515, amid many guitars and a dulcimer.

I wonder if it would be better to spend a little more and not get anyone else's headaches. Just my 2 cents.

I can get it for $70 and change and free shipping. The cheapest used comes to $51 with shipping. For the $19 I would think it might be better to get a brand new one, esp if this is something you would be using for a long time.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Thanks for the recommendations... looks like I will go for one of the Samsons. There are a few that look like they will meet my rather limited requirements.

-David

If you can go up just slightly, I recommend the Audio Technica AT2020 usb. Ive used the non-usb version of this mic for recording instruments, vocals, amps, pretty much everything. Very warm tone, can handle anything. I have the AT2020, a AT3035, an AKG Blueline 91, a Shure Beta57a, and a Peavey PVM480. I have owned the At2020 the longest, and it is my go-to mic for almost anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Not so far out of the range, from Amazon US (maybe more expensive in the UK?)
    Sigh... yep. £70 from amazon UK, which is about $110 :-(