Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F-9 Fit/Finish

I play a Breedlove Quartz KF that I like well enough, but I've been shopping for another mando, and I've been looking at the F-9. I like the general look, and I think it sounds fine--especially for the price. However, I've played a half-dozen of them, and they all exhibit very poor fit and finish: sloppy fretwork, poor finish-work, crooked fret-markers, sloppy neck-joints, atrocious set-ups. They remind me of guitars made in Paracho. My Breedlove costs half as much and its workmanship is flawless. I've owned lots of Gibson guitars, so I'm used to overlooking things like stray dabs of glue and unsanded wood in order to get the Gibson sound, but these F-9s are in another category. Frankly, they look cheap. I like how they sound, and I think I still want one, but I'm wondering how long I'll have to look to find one that's acceptable. Thoughts/experiences?

For those who have read my replies to F-9 questions before please pardon the redunancy....
    I had an F-9 for about 2 years and was very happy with it. I had no idea that it had any fit or finish problems until I read about them on this site. Then I started looking under the fingerboard extension, inside the scroll, and other minor places where the finish was not quite right. And you know what, it really did not matter. It was still by far the best sounding mandolin in that price range! The only reason that I moved on (other than MAS) was that the neck was very thin (1 inch at the nut) and had a pronounced V-shape that I found uncomfortable after long periods of time.
    Bottom line - if tone is your top criteria go with the F-9. (some might say go with the A-9!)
    Kirk

You know, it's a funny thing; I've heard so much on the cafe here that's been negative about the fit and finish of the Gibsons. When I finally got a chance to play one, I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was very well made and finished. The only issue with mine( F-9 ) is that the nut is a bit sharp, and the bridge is not fitted very well to the top. Other than that, my scroll looks fine--even on the inside. I see no signs of a sloppy neck joint; you'd think something that major would not make it out of the factory. Are you sure that the things you're seeing are objective and not too subjective? At any rate, I'm happy with mine; I'm most pleased with the tone and playability.
    --Prof PT

Don't hate me because I know how to spell and punctuate!

I saw one A9 in person, and that one looked and played great. It didn't have any of the issues I'm reading about regarding fit and finish any more than any of the other Gibsons I've seen have. I can't comment on any others besides that one though, since I haven't seen them...
    Mandofiddle

Looked mine over real careful & didn't find anything wrong either, but then I'm not a builder, just a player who may not know what to look for but can sure appreciate what I hear.
    mandollusional Mike

I have a 2002 F9 and a 2003 F9, and they are very different in fit & finish, color, neck shape and playability. The 2002 has better cosmetics and lighter color, almost shiny,and a rounder neck at the top.

The 2003 is very dark, has the killer tone,a sharper v on the neck, but several finish issues.

Still working on tweaking the set ups to get them where I want them.

Personally, I am after to tone and playability, and don't worry so much on the looks of this model, because it was not designed as a looker....

I own an F9 and an A9. #

The A is 2002, the F a 2004.

The A9 is very dark in finish, has opened to a very nice warm tone, plays real well (after some set-up work). The finish is ragged in spots, but the fit and construction are top notch.

The F9 is wonderful. The finish is lighter, shows off the wood much better, the fit and finish are A-1, and even the set-up on this one isn't too bad. (the bridge needed to be fitted better to the top, I've corrected it some, and will take it in next year for a full set-up.) The F9's tone is nicer than the A's, bassier and rings more on the higher notes.

What I see is the newer ones seem like they're nicer, at least in general. (I know some folks have older ones that are perfect, but mine wasn't). I just think the tone of these mandos are great, they get better with time, and are fun to play! But, that's just me.

The A9 I'm getting (T minus 2 days, woohoo!) is finished very well and it's an '04. #The finish is pretty light, and I don't notice anything at all sloppy or poor. #I'm sure I'll take it to my luthier after a little while and have him set it up a little for me but other than that it looks and sounds beautiful. #And it's nice to be able to get a Gibson for less than I paid for my motorcycle #

My original IV mandolin kit blog- http://makingamandolin.blogspot.com/

kinda on subject. Sound is very important. Quality of construction is very important.

Now.
    Today I played several imports. one was 1000 but sounded worse than the 300. If you like the sound and can live with the looks that's important. Keep what's important important.

I've owned both an A9 and F9 and I am totally convinced they are the best value in their class. When you consider sound, playability and workmanship, I think Gibson really has a pair of winners with the 9 series. If it's bluegrass you play, they definately have that woody, growly pop that many bluegrassers look for.

Jim

While I don't own an A9 or an F9, the ones I have seen and played were nice without any major issues, and most everyone I have talked to like the ones they have. I do have a couple of F5s, and even at twice the price of an F9, I didn't get a finish under the scroll, but they both sound and play great! Besides, who the heck cares what it looks under there?

I think there is a lot of variability in them. Most of the F9s I've seen had at least a few minor flaws, similar to the ones my F5G had...rough unfished wood around the scroll and under the extension, minor binding flaws, uneven color etc.

I saw one F9 that was so bad I couldn't beleive they actually allowed it out of the shop. It had actual globs of dried finish on the neck and the finish on the neck had a strange tacky feel to it and the finish overall just looked really horrible, but that was the only one I remember seeing with major flaws.

Tone is definitely the most important thing to me, which is why I didn't have a problem paying a little less for a used instrument that had some significant finish issues vs more for a perfect one, however I still do kinda have a higher expecation for quality of finish on a new instrument costing as much as the F9 does...particularly with the price hike.

Thumbs up

Well, the F9 I picked up at Guitar Center about a month ago had setup issues, but I haven't noticed anything that I would call a fit, finish, or QC problem. It doesn't have the prettiest maple in the back, but the carving, sanding, and finish look good. The spruce top is beautiful... cut perfectly on the quarter as far as I can see, the scroll is nicely shaped and finished. I've seen F model mandos (including some MKs I played a few weeks ago) that I really don't like the scroll work. It's often either heavy or the peak of the scroll doesn't flow well with the curve, or in the case of these MKs the peak was just really rounded over. I'm not seeing a problem with the finish or neck joint... this F9 looks good to me.

I had to fit the bridge, and I still want to cut the nut slots deeper and smooth the nut off. I consider those to be setup issues as opposed to flaws or defects. I still believe that the compensation isn't cut quite right, although it's not grossly out of whack, but I want to get a professional opinion on that. I might not know what to expect because it's my second new mandolin and the first one in the $1000+ price range. All in all, I am happy with my new mando.

Paul Doubek
    "... beauty is not found in the excessive but what is lean and spare and subtle" - Terry Tempest Williams

Cosmetic factory fit and finish concerns on one side and factory distressed models in great demand on the other.
    It goes to show that we here on the Cafe have a wide range of points of view on lots of things.
    I think we all want tone though.
    Fit and finish used to be a huge thing with me but I think I am at the point in all of this that I am willing to overlook a lot of cosmetics if the sound is good. Gibson has the Gibson sound pretty much nailed I think.
    I have an A5L that sounds just like a Gibson.

I've played quite a few x9 mandos and have found cosmetic flaws in most but most of them sounded very good compared to the more expensive, gloss finished Gibsons or any other manufacturers instruments. I think people forget that these are relativly inexpensive instruments and they allow players who can't afford the more expensive models to get an instrument that will compare faverably with most others.

I know players who insist that their instrumets are shiny and polished, with fancy inlay and I have no problem with that but for people who don't mind (or even prefer)the flat finish and some inperfections these are a good choice and with the right setup won't prevent any player from progressing as a musician.

PS. Even though I liked the F9 and A9 I ended up playing a Collings that really spoke to me but I'm glad Gibson offered their products in this price range.

I was super happy with the A9 and F9 I owned until recently. The A is owned now by another cafe member, who is just as happy with it as I was. I bought these two instruments with Dale Cater's complaints in mind, knowing I would have to make some minor adjustments, and he was right on the money. I ended up replacing both nuts, taking the sharp edge off the top binding, knocking down the sharp corners on the new nuts (the old ones were so sharp I was developing blisters) and putting fossilized ivory bridge saddles on both. The last update was optional, as the bridges had no issues whatsoever. After all that was done, I had two absolutely killer bluegrass mandolins, and for less than the price of a mid-level Weber, or an F5G. The tone and volume of those two mandolins was worth every minor picky complaint I had, and those issues were cheaply and easily addressed. I still miss them both. Frank
    FJ Russell

Es mejor morir de pie que vivir de rodillas. E. Zapata

Wow! I'm really impressed. Here a new member with zero info in his profile makes his first post a Gibson basher and nobody rises to the bait. Instead we get a series of posts that point out what is good about F9's. Great!

Wayne
    Smile Anyway

I think that horse has been beat to death too many times. The 9 series mandos are what they are. If you want to compare them to something else, go ahead, but many owners (esp. new ones who took advantage of the GC blowout sale) are perfectly happy with them.

I think the GC sale got these instruments into the hands of a lot of people that would not have considered x9s before. And a lot of those people bought the mandolins, me included. That should tell Gibson something, eh?

I think I read a post from Big Jim that the 9 series is their biggist seller.

Exactly what I mean. I cringed when I read the first post. Then the F9 owners jump in. You're right delsbrother, they are what they are. And they do a very nice job of it too. I considered an F9 for a while then ended up with my Pomeroy. But I still spent $50 on raffle tickets for an F9 - and would have been happy to win it. Oh well the money went to a good cause.

Wayne
    Smile Anyway

Quote Originally Posted by
    Wow! I'm really impressed. Here a new member with zero info in his profile makes his first post a Gibson basher and nobody rises to the bait. Instead we get a series of posts that point out what is good about F9's. Great!
    Wow! I'm really impressed. Here a new member asks an honest question based on unbiased observation about a product he's still interested in buying, and no jack*ss shows up to accuse him of being a troll and insulting everyone's mothers. Instead he gets a warm "hello and welcome." Great!

For what it's worth, the simplistic and unrefined looks were what first attracted me to try an F-9, then the sound and feel sold me. I'd be happy to play a cigar box if it suited my ear and played the same way, the F-9 just happened to be "the one" for my tastes.
    mandollusional Mike

FYI rmbnxs.
    There have been issues in the past with folks registering a new member profile and starting a thread such as this in a pure effort to start a Gibson bashing thread. I don't see how you were called a troll in that post. I see a pat on the back to other Cafe members for actually NOT turning this into a Gibson bashing thread, of which we've all seen enough of.
    Mandofiddle

Shucks, I read the first post, poured a couple fingers of sour mash, settled back down and....nothing. I wonder which store is sitting on a half-dozen F9's?
    Wye Knot

Sorry rmbnxs, I didn't mean to bash you. As mandofiddle points out these threads have usually degenerated into some pretty ugly stuff. I've usually kept my mouth shut during these wars and was just expressing thanks to people for focusing on info about the F9. I hope you're getting the info you need from those who have some experience with the instrument. Welcome!

Wayne
    Smile Anyway