Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: some personal questions for you!

Blog Entries

Default Re: some personal questions for you!

Quote Originally Posted by stenallan View Post
    Here's the questions:

How many instruments do you play? If you play guitar or another stringinstrument apart from the mandolin like for example guitar, for how long time have you played that instrument?
    When I started mandolin, I played three woodwinds, for seven years or so. Since I started mandolin I haven't touched a woodwind.

I recently started playing fiddle. Its coming along.

I also play tenor banjo, and a little ukulele.

Why do you like the mandolin?
    I picked it because it was not a guitar. (At the time everyone played guitar.) I love it because it makes so much sense musically, because it rewards effort, and because it is still a minority instrument.

Did it take a long time to learn to play mandolin?
    A lifetime. But, that is what a lifetime is for?

How often do you play mandolin?
    I play about 15 hours a week, usually some every day.

Was it a big difference to learn to play the mandolin compared to
    the other string-instrument (guitar if you play that) you play?
    Fiddle takes a lot out of you. It doesn't reward effort right away. Its hard.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stenallan View Post

Here's the questions:

How many instruments do you play? If you play guitar or another stringinstrument apart from the mandolin like for example guitar, for how long time have you played that instrument?

Was it a big difference to learn to play the mandolin compared to
    the other string-instrument (guitar if you play that) you play?

Sorry for my bad english! It would be lovely if some of you guys would like to answer! // Joakim G
    My main instrument is the guitar which I've been playing since 1957 or 1958. That's where I learned what I know about music in general.

I picked up the mandolin in 1966 or 1967. I was attracted to it because I wanted to be able to play some of the fiddle tunes that I'd transcribed. Playing them on the guitar involved a lot of awkward string crossings. Over the years I've found that
    the mandolin is superior when it comes to stating song-like melodies.

I never really learned to play the mandolin. I just started playing, being helped by my general knowledge of music. My command of the mandolin is not nearly as complete as my command of the guitar.

There are lots of differences, e.g., chromatic fingering on guitar, diatonic on mandolin, but that's automatic - 7 frets are more than 5. Chords have a different role, left hand devices (pull-offs, hammer-ons) don't work quite the same. Tremolo is an essential technique on mandolin, but a cheap trick on guitar.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ralph johansson View Post
    Tremolo is an essential technique on mandolin, but a cheap trick on guitar.
    I like that.

I have a guitar friend who irritates me by playing some tremolo. "Mandolin envy" I call it.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

We really need to discuss "what kind of guitar" ... tremolo is essential stylistic element to so many idioms -- classical and flamenco ... also comprises "duo style" in plectrum/tenor banjo playing

I think what Jeff is referring to is the classic "three chord wonders" ... speaks to how effective the guitar is as an accompaniment instrument ... simple open ("cowboy") chording guitar can make a lot of music with just a few chords (or less, if you wanna go modal a la Son House, Skip James, et al.) -- what, 90% of popular music is essentailly just that be it rock, country, folk forms... Elvis, Gene Autry, Bob Dylan, Chuck Berry...Woody Guthrie et al created an iconic institution with a few chords

But aside from the jazz and nylon string guitar ouvres througout the world ... its versatility is immense ... like a miniature piano ... no need to relegate guitar to the aforementioned cohort

Hi Joakim,

It's nice to hear from you all the way over there. (Isn't that the amazing thing about this Internet stuff?)

> How many instruments do you play? If you play guitar or another stringinstrument apart from the mandolin like for example guitar, for how long time have you played that instrument?

I play:

Piano/keyboard, over 40 years

Guitar, mandolin and banjo, around 30 years

Accordion (sorry about that), around 15 years

> Why do you like the mandolin?

Because it's so small and personal. Because it sounds unique, and because you can express so many moods with it. And because mandolins look so pretty. (For example, have you ever seen anything more beautiful than a Gibson F-4? I don't own one, but every time I see a photo of one I sigh in delight... It's a good thing my wife doesn't know how they make me feel—she'd be jealous!)

> Did it take a long time to learn to play mandolin?

It's like any instrument: That depends on what you want to play on it. Most people can learn some simple songs on it very quickly. If you want to play like Carlo Aonzo or Chris Thile, it takes a bit longer. :?)

> How often do you play mandolin?
    With my business and family, not nearly as much as I'd like to. But that's another good thing about the mandolin: It's so small, it's easy to grab when you have a few minutes of extra time.

> Was it a big difference to learn to play the mandolin compared to the other string-instrument (guitar if you play that) you play?

Some people may see the mando's double strings and think, "Those must be hard to play!" But I didn't find it harder than playing single-string instruments. Also, I imagine that people with smaller hands find the mandolin's shorter scale (fret spacing) easier to play than long-neck instruments like guitar or banjo.

For me, the only thing that took extra time on the mandolin was learning to do a good tremolo. Fortunately, many styles—like bluegrass, folk, Celtic*—don't usually require that. But I wanted to play some classical and jazz and other stuff. Developing a good tremolo takes time. Mostly you just have to learn to relax, trust yourself, and not force it. That kind of learning is fun for me, and it's very satisfying when you start to get good at it.

> Sorry for my bad english!

Dude, you are too modest. Your English is about 1 million times better than any Swedish I'll ever be able to speak. Cheers, A.

* (Feel free to correct me on any of this, guys!)

Hi Joakim,
    I play guitar as well as mandolin
    Playing guitar about 40 years ....mandolin about 20 years...play mandolin a few times a week....still learning
    Started playing mandolin because we needed one in our band...traded a nice guitar for my first mando
    What I know on guitar and mandolin I have learned by ear ...listening...trial and error...still listening ...so still learning
    I'm not a great player....but I enjoy playing....

Here is a link to me enjoying the mandolin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ldt5pkYgdk&hd=1
    "The Flatiron" '83 A5-2 Steve Carlsons
    "wires an wood...man that's good!"

I started to sing and play guitar 37 years ago, mandolin 35, fiddle 32, bass 30, dobro 26, banjo 25. Banjo and dobro I feel least comfortable on, but I believe I could save my life picking both. I like mandolin the most, because of it's friendly sound and drive. Bottom line: I love bluegrass, leaning towards traditional, but I build and voice pipe organs for a living. I still play every day, mostly mandolin. No big difference between the instruments, a bit more so on fiddle. Listenig to music has helped a lot.
    Kind regards, Hendrik
    Last edited by Hendrik Ahrend; Feb-02-2012 at 5:10pm.

Euphonium & Trombone 28 years, Guitar 1 year, Mandolin < 1 year.

First and foremost, the sound. There is just something relaxing about a mandolin that de-stresses me. Also because I travel for work quite a bit, so I can easily pop the mando in my soft case and take it on the plane with me.

I'll have to get back to you on that one... I don't think what I do with a mandolin could be considered "playing". At least not yet.

Every day, at least 30 minutes. Fortunately my wife enjoys the sound of the mandolin, so I frequently have it on the couch with me while watching a ball game, which can easily bump into the 2-3 hour range of practice time.

Was it a big difference to learn to play the mandolin compared to the other string-instrument (guitar if you play that) you play?

Getting used the small freatboard was the biggest thing - I'm still overshooting the fret I need to be on. Getting my fingers used to working with dual strings was the next hurdle. As a brass insturment player, my left hand was pretty much a paper-weight when I started playing guitar. It's getting better, but I still find that my right hand is miles ahead of the left.

I might only be speaking for myself, but I'd love to see/read your project when you're finished. If you're willing, please come back and post it for us! Good luck.

Damon

Guitar, more than 50 yr; Mandolin, more than 20 yr; Octave mando & bouzouki, less than 1 yr; Doublebass, going on 2 years. Viola da gamba (tenor and bass) for about 30 yr; flute and recorders; oboe and saxophone; piano; harmonica; fiddle

Took up mandolin initially to play bluegrass; also like other music playable on the instrument. Easy to play.

No. But picking up instruments isn't hard for me. I play no instrument expertly, however.

Almost every day, although at the moment I am also playing guitar and doublebass a lot. Hours a day.

Was it a big difference to learn to play the mandolin compared to the other string-instrument (guitar if you play that) you play?

No, not at all. Probably because of my experience with guitar and gamba, mandolin was not difficult.

Good luck with your project.

John