Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone NOT like Blue Chip picks?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Anyone NOT like Blue Chip picks?

Quote Originally Posted by John Flynn View Post
    2) Picks don't make mandolins sound better, players do.
    John I beg to differ. In theory someone could make a pie chart and divide up how much a given better sound was due to a better player, a better pick, and a better instrument. Player would take the lion's share, and on the pick and instrument there would be some judgement calls as to taste, but there is no doubt all three make a difference. (And there is no doubt that 99.99% of us would see more improvement woodshedding more and yammering on about picks less.)

That being said, a better instrument sounds better. A better pick makes an instrument sound better, (and makes a better instrument sound even better). A better player makes an instrument sound better, (and makes a better instrument sound awesome).

There are four possible response to the 62 page thread on picks -

1 - these folks are fooling themselves. I haven't tried it, but come on.
    2 - I tried it and found no great advantage. These folks must be fooling themselves.
    3 - I tried it and found no great advantage. Perhaps it doesn't work for me and my picking style, or my tastes are different. But I can't speak to the experience of others. There may be some fools, but not 62 pages of fools.
    4 - I tried it and it makes a difference. I can hear it. Yee Ha!

One's response is one's response, but I think 3 and 4 above are the most reasonable.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

All I Ever Loved Was You
    You Broke A Heart That Cried For You
    I've Wasted All My Tears On You
    For All I Ever Loved Was You.

Danny Roberts led me to the idea of having a BlueChip. He got me a TD50 a couple of years ago. When I was in Galax last year at the Fiddler's convention, I was playing with Adam Steffey and we actually got the same pick that day, a STP 40. I like the STP for my Mandolin, and TD-50 a little more for the guitar. BlueChip's are by far the best. The Wegen BigCity comes as my second choice.
    Connor Hagwood

Quote Originally Posted by mandobassman View Post
    I really don't understand all of this fuss over the price. Many of us have $2K or $3K mandolins (or maybe even more), a $75 Tone Gard, a $55 Cumberland Acoustics bridge. All of these things can make a big difference in the sound of the music we make. But mention a $35 pick, which can make just as big of a difference, and everyone goes nuts about the cost. Is it just because it's small. I know several people who who easily fork over $75 - $100 for a tortoise shell pick, yet a Blue Chip doesn't harm any animals and lasts about 100 times longer. I, personally, think it is one of the best picks made. It's smoother than any pick I have ever used, it has a fantastic grip, and has a wonderful tone IMO. However, after using one for several months, I found I couldn't get the volume I needed from it and I found myself playing harder and sloppier, so I tried a few other things and discovered I like the Gravity Picks the most. But at least I tried it. I am not going to sit back and complain about a product I haven't tried. As far as the cost is concerned, if it makes my mandolin sing, than it's worth every penny.
    Amen!
    Malcolm Grundy from Montreal

The psychological relationship between pricing and perception of quality are well established. So you could be right that people are fooling themselves.

On the other hand, some things are actually better than others.
    Object to this post? Find out how to ignore me here!

Im new to mandolin. But my instructor has Blue Chip picks. They are awesome. Im using a Golden Gate gm12. The Golden Gates are pretty good but dont compare to the BC's in my ever-so-humble opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoedad View Post
    Now if someone could just show me how to make my left hand just as happy for another $35, I'd be very grateful.
    Here ya go!! Try This for the left hand!

Just kidding!!!!!!!!
    Kip...
    Blessings,
    Kip...

If you think you can or think you can't... you're likely right!

Eastman MD515, amid many guitars and a dulcimer.

Blog Entries

If good players think it makes a difference (and many good players use Blue Chip picks, ToneGards etc.), then there just might be something to it.

If you can play, and something makes you sound even better, it's probably good.

Registered User Justus True Waldron's Avatar

"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."
    Not sure who first said that, and I do think I know what they were trying to say. However, tools do make a difference. I know a man who builds high class furniture with only hand tools, and has made furniture for the white house. He's actually happy with moderately priced chisels, as long as the steel is good. Give him a cheap chisel made of Chinese steel that won't hold an edge, however, and suddenly things are just going to be an exercise in frustration. Having the right tool IS important.

I said that to say, if we use the tool analogy, picks are tools and in our craft they do make a difference. There was a time where I couldn't hear the difference and I'd play with any pick. Then as I started getting serious, I started to notice things more. Then a friend gave me a TS pick, and suddenly I found both my tone and playability vastly improving. I don't always use them, actually for the past year I've used Clayton Ravens ($4 for 12 I think?) almost exclusively. Lately I started using TS again. I've never had a chance to try a Blue Chip, but if I did and liked it I wouldn't balk at the price. I can make myself play with any pick, but I guarantee anybody could tell the difference between me playing with my favorite pick and me playing with a Fender Heavy. Tools do make a difference, and for those that can tell and care, there are options. For those that don't, there are 25 cent fenders. I wouldn't judge a player for using a $40 pick any more than I do someone using a cheapo... I just hate blanket statements!
    - 2004 Macica A
    - 1952 Selmer Centered Tone
    - Eastwood electric mandola
    (and lots more)

deleted by author - see below

JeffD

I would add a 5th possible response:

5 - I've tried the $35 pick, but I lost a lot in the last recession, perhaps my job, my house and my retirement. Yet I'm grateful, because I know there are people a lot worse off than me. No matter how much better the $35 pick sounds, a 35 cent pick is just fine for me. But others should do what they like. I have no problem with that. But the OP asked and I gave my opinion. No one should have any problem with that, either.

the 35 dollars is not a big deal and I truly wish I liked it I have tried to go to it Many times but it is too bright for my tastes. if I knew for certain a thicker one would suit me I would order it today.It is the best feeling pick ever but just brightI dont Like Collings mandos and guitars for the same reason. I cant like it just because everbody else does

We all have some point where a pick is just too expensive. I don't think any of us would pay a thousand dollars for a pick no matter how much we liked it. If the $35 is too much for whatever reason, it's too much. Fortunately as I mentioned earlier, an awful lot of great music has been made with picks that cost a few cents.

I'd add, likewise with mandolins. If someone looks at a $2,000 mandolin and says that's more than they would spend they're fortunate that it doesn't take $2,000 to get a great sounding instrument. But that doesn't mean the folks who do spend $2,000 or $20,000 or whatever are being stupid.

Nor does spending $35 on a pick say anything bad about a person, any more than spending 35 cents does.
    The first man who whistled
    thought he had a wren in his mouth.
    He went around all day
    with his lips puckered,
    afraid to swallow.

--"The First" by Wendell Berry

I'd like to try one some day, but although they may have a returns policy, by the time it gets shipped here and returned there, I'd end up $35 down even if i did return it probably. Certainly spending $35 on a pick would be a good incentive for me not to lose a pick like i normally do.

Quote Originally Posted by neil argonaut View Post
    Certainly spending $35 on a pick would be a good incentive for me not to lose a pick like i normally do.
    If I sold a pick that people felt justified paying $35 for and that pick lasted for a very, very long time, you know what color I'd make it??? Brown. Just sayin'. I momentariliy misplaced mine yesterday and felt a tinge of mild panic.

Blog Entries

but I lost a lot in the last recession, perhaps my job, my house and my retirement. .
    Oh I understand that. I don't want to go into how and why, but I do understand. And what happened is that $35 became more dear to you.

I can fully see that the response might be that I've tried 'em, and the pick makes a discernable difference, but that difference is not worth it to me right now. (Or maybe just not worth it period).

That is a reasonable response. What would not, in my mind be reasonable is to say the difference is not worth the price to me, and those that think it is worth it are deluding themselves.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by baptist mando55 View Post
    I cant like it just because everbody else does
    Nobody would want that. See, but you tried it and have an experienced based opinion about it, and are not trying to impune a herd mentality to those who like them.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."
    Yes, but I have known craftsmen, in various industries, and the good ones pick their tools with great care, not always going with the cheapest cost.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by John McGann View Post
    If good players think it makes a difference (and many good players use Blue Chip picks, ToneGards etc.), then there just might be something to it.

If you can play, and something makes you sound even better, it's probably good.
    Some thoughts on this:
    Many experts also use cheap picks.
    Experts are also subject to the "pricing effect".
    Experts might obtain their picks for free.
    Expert opinion creates an "expert effect" further inflating perceived quality among consumers.

None of this proves anything about the actual value of the pick--just food for thought.
    Object to this post? Find out how to ignore me here!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    3 - I tried it and found no great advantage. Perhaps it doesn't work for me and my picking style, or my tastes are different. But I can't speak to the experience of others.
    This is where I fall.

It's not my favorite pick, but it's one of two picks I keep with me for when I `want something different'.

I have no dislike of it, but for my mandolin/strings/technique/repertoire it's not what I'm looking for right now.

With only one mandolin it's hard to make some definitive statement - every so often it just sounds better to my ear and I use it, but I prefer the feel sound of my usual just a slight bit better.

Every few months I seem to have a day when I drop the pick regularly ... and the Blue Chip works great there. I'm not sure if it sticks to my fingers better or if it makes my fingers more miserly, but it conquers my droppy-days.
    Collings MT2
    Breedlove OF
    Ellie eMando
    Schmergl Devastator

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Tichenor View Post
    You're charging $250 for a pennywhistle on your web site and out here busting chops because of a $35 pick? You're certainly the expert on all things pricing in my book. . . .
    Hey, you can get a pennywhistle in the key of D+. Just like my high school report card!
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

I'm hesitant to say this but ... I play (at) the tin whistle a bit. You know what kind "the pros" play? $8 Generations or Feadógs. In fact, I ran over my Feadóg not long ago and completely flattened it. I didn't even mind all that much. I saw it as a sign. But I'd sure hate to run over my Blue Chip. I might mess up the bevel!

I'm in the capital district. I have some blue chip picks. I'm not on any personal mission to convert anyone or change anyone's mind about picks. If we happened to meet up, you could try one out. I happen to like them very much.

I can see where you are coming from. I can totally relate. Although I'm a blue chip player, I like the straight up $5 strings. There are people who play $40. I think they are nuts. I mean $40 for strings!!! But I haven't tried $40 strings, nor do I see myself putting down $40 for a set of strings in the near future... I'd like to try them out on someone else's dollar because I don't understand what the fuss is about. Coatings? Flatwound? Heavy gauge? Brands I've never tried. I'm just like you, only for me it is the strings and for you it is the picks.

I've chased after a pick that works for me and this is what I've found:

For some a pick is either you have one or you don't. For that person, $.35 is a good price for a pick and $35 is not. I was in this camp for many years.

For others, a pick of a particular variety enhances play when compared to another pick. For that person, they shop around and play what it takes to get the sound and experience they are looking for. Perhaps they are willing to go as far as $5 for a pick and no more, or maybe $35 is not out of the question. Depends.

If you don't experience a big difference between picks, then save your money and be glad. If you do, then maybe $35 is worth it.

I don't see any reason to argue much over it. People are different.

For me, I've tried different picks. I had a passage I just couldn't get right for ages despite months of trying. It was difficult. I had it memorized, but it would never come out right. My beloved dunlop got caught up every time and I'd miss a beat. My dawg had too much friction and my fingers would sweat and I'd drop it. I tried different things to help my grip to no avail. In 2 minutes of playing, if I still had the dawg in my hand it was sideways! The blue chip slid just right across the strings and I could play that passage every time. It stuck between my thumb and finger and gave me good control. I tried all the picks again and again on a variety of pieces. I noticed a real difference. Things that were too hard for me to play were now manageable. I decided that blue chip 40s work for me. The whole thing is that your mileage may vary. It has nothing to do with your ability, level, or your self worth.

Hey, I'll trade you a blue chip pick for a set of Thomastik-Infeld flat wounds!

Registered User Justus True Waldron's Avatar

nice post, abuteague. I am also in the capitol region, although I don't have any blue chips to offer to demo anyone. I'm hoping I'll get a chance to try some at Joe Val in a couple weeks...
    - 2004 Macica A
    - 1952 Selmer Centered Tone
    - Eastwood electric mandola
    (and lots more)

I use BC picks and I use others. It depends on what music I am playing on what instrument. I have posted this before, but just to justify the price -- a small sheet of this plastic (I can't recall the size but maybe 12X12 inches) goes for about $1300 BION.

As far as playing: I generally like the tone on mandolin and for my guitar playing it is essential for me. I play old time rhythm for dances and used to wear out my favorite tricorner picks very quickly -- I was using Ultem picks which are pretty hard plastic. The BC pick I use has barely worn out at all and I have had it for over and year.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1