Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone NOT like Blue Chip picks?

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Default Re: Anyone NOT like Blue Chip picks?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Tichenor View Post
    You're charging $250 for a pennywhistle on your web site and out here busting chops because of a $35 pick? You're certainly the expert on all things pricing in my book.

(psssst. It's just a piece of wood and a bit of metal).

Carry on.
    Hey, since when does asking a simple question become busting chops???
    Second-- that piece of wood and metal takes me about 6-8 hours of my so called free time to make from scratch. That's a LOT of hand labor, and time that could be spent with my family. At $250, these are up in the pretty high end of the whistle world. Maybe not Dude high, but maybe Collings high, percentage wise.
    I'd be the last to tell people that they "need" a $250 whistle, and the point is well taken that you can make perfectly good music on a cheap one (although the comment that "all the pros play an $8 whistle" is a bit of a stretch-- some do, others play high end ones, including mine).
    Thanks to the relatively few people who actually answered my question, rather than just reacting with ruffled feathers.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Abuteugue's post mentioning $40 strings got me thinking of the plectrum pricing thing in a new way; If you change your strings say once a month, and your plectrum lasts a decade due to you being careful not to lose it, then getting a blue chip will cost less than getting strings that cost just 30 cents more, and will probably make more difference than 30 cents dearer strings, never mind $40 strings.

Blog Entries

The question inspired me to contact BC instead of just complaining about the mud-brown floor-camouflage color, but all the bluechippick.net addresses are not responding, including "contact" and "questions?".

Not that I'm a fan of the tone (tried one), actually liking Fender celluloid, but a pick that doesn't wear is appealing, if it were an easy-to see color. Almost any material can be electroplated now; red would be my choice.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

I like 'em a lot--just not as much as my Wegen's, which are also no particular bargain but worth every cent to me.

I'd take either over genuine tortoiseshell--karmic repercussions notwithstanding--any day, but if you like that real TS sound, the Bluechips come closest to my ear and hand. And they really do seem to be indestructable.

I certainly don't begrudge Bluechip their pound of flesh any more than do Paul's fees for his handmade, labor-intensive whistles.

Bluechip has a great product with an extremely limited market, and pricing them competively would probably result in one-way trip to bankruptcy court.

Same thing with handwound brass or handmade gut strings. They don't work for me, but I've heard them work wonders for others, and I'm happy that someone is out there making them. Selling a few thousand sets a year means the price is going to be high to keep the shop open.

It kind of reminds me of the argument over the price of CDs--remember them? Lots of folks would complain that $15 was ridiculous for a product that only cost a dollar and change to manufacture. But that equation never took into consideration the many thousands of dollars ($10K isn't that unusual for a small project) in recording costs, mastering, session fees, artwork, etc., not to mention the countless hours of coordinating it all. Couple that with realistic sales numbers (a few thousand would be a smash success for many acoustic acts), and that $15 price tag starts to make sense.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

Blog Entries

Once I tried one I knew I had to buy one. CT55 works for me. I like the way it sticks to my fingers and slides off the strings. It changes the tone of my mando so it's not so bright and combined with my string choice it sounds great. Personal preference is all that matters here. And as long as I don't lose it, $35 dollars for my BC will last me a long time and give me great pleasure so it's a lot of bang for my buck. I even refused to entertain an offer to trade for a tortoise shell pic. I like it that much.

And as a simple disclaimer, I was one of the folks that thought spending so much for a BC was ridiculous but that was before I tried it.
    Breedlove Quartz FF with K&K Twin - Weber Big Horn - Fender FM62SCE
    Wall Hangers - 1970's Stella A and 60's Kay Kraft

Whether you slow your roll or mash on it, enjoy the ride.

Blog Entries

I can easily see why the BC chip would not satisfy. For instance, in my terms, it's very bright compared to the fat, rounded tone one gets with a Dawg pick. If using the Dawg gives you the tone you hear from the mandolin in your head, you won't be happy with the BC. There are other similar comparisons that can be made, even with 35˘ picks. I lucked out because the BC falls right in with the tone of the syn tortoise I was using. The material is much faster off the strings and I can use the help.
    George Wilson
    Weber Bighorn Mandolin
    ca. 1900 Clifford Mandolinetto
    Martin Guitars

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kotapish View Post
    Bluechip has a great product with an extremely limited market, and pricing them competively would probably result in one-way trip to bankruptcy court...
    I do remember reading an article about Blue Chip when I first found out about them, and in an interview with Matthew Goins he said the reason for the price was because of the incredible cost of the material (a .062" thick sheet of 12x12 inch material costs $1355.63).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Meldin 7001 cost.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	81669

He said that although the price was high that his profit margin was not that great. He's not charging that price just because it's a premium pick and he thinks it should cost that much.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wright View Post
    The question inspired me to contact BC instead of just complaining about the mud-brown floor-camouflage color, but all the bluechippick.net addresses are not responding, including "contact" and "questions?".

Not that I'm a fan of the tone (tried one), actually liking Fender celluloid, but a pick that doesn't wear is appealing, if it were an easy-to see color. Almost any material can be electroplated now; red would be my choice.
    I believe the picks are brown because that is the color of the material they use to make them. In some cases it's not possible to add color to a material.

This is the material that has been mentioned that the picks are made from.

http://www.professionalplastics.com/MELDIN7001
    “Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.”

My Mandos:
    1981 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #6
    2001 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #57
    2006 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #106
    2017 Boeh F5 #27
    2020 Boeh 2-point #31
    2012 Grey Eagle 2-point #57V

Such passion! I just recently bought a TAD60-1R. As I worked my way through successively pricier picks (from 35 cent Fenders through $10 V-picks) I kept getting rewarded with better tone so I finally took the leap of faith and bought a BC for $38 (with shipping). It's extremely smooth, loud, and bright. That said, I use my JazzMando v-pick more often when practicing because I really love the feel and tone of that pick. But I will keep my BC and use it for jams when I want the added brightness and volume.

Quote Originally Posted by lukmanohnz View Post
    I use my JazzMando v-pick more often when practicing because I really love the feel and tone of that pick. But I will keep my BC and use it for jams when I want the added brightness and volume.
    Interesting! I had exactly the opposite experience. I found the JazzMando V-Pick to be louder and brighter than the BC, and I was using the XR60, which is very similar in shape and thickness to the JM V-Pick.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

That is curious. I suspect that the bevel plays a big role in brightness and volume. I have a Dawg pick that was my first foray into the mysterious world of picks designed specifically for mandolin, and found it to be very low volume at first. But after playing with it for a few days I started getting much more volume out of it, so clearly the way the pick is held and used to attack the strings also plays a big role in tone and volume. My v-picks don't have much of a bevel to speak of - just a rounded edge. But the BC has a very pronounced and sculpted bevel, and I think that is part of their magic. FYI - I hardly ever use that Dawg pick, but I'll hang on to it. Grisman is one of my all-time favorite players.

No pick on this earth wil make any of us 'better' players.What they will do is to make what you play ''sound different'' according to the thickness & shape of the picking point/bevel.Whether you like the difference or not, is your personal decision.I play as well as i can play with every pick i've tried out,some like the Wegens work on my instruments & some,like the Dawg & Golden Gate picks, don't.The1.0mm Wegen Bluegrass pick is my favourite,but,the Weber picks that came with my "Fern" sound just as good,but a tad more 'clicky' because they flex more. The Gibson 'Pure XH' picks also sound very similar indeed to the Wegens on my instruments.
    Ivan

Name:	Gibson XH pick.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	9.7 KB 
ID:	81690Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Weber pick..JPG 
Views:	184 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	81691
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Name:	4750.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	13.8 KB 
ID:	81696

I'm in the "I think a pick can make you a better player" camp.

I'm no professional, but for me, moving away from this dunlop pick made me a better player. I started with it because I liked its percussive and snappy sound. As much as I had grown to love it, other picks got me through musical phrases with better tone and fewer errors. I could also play faster with other picks. The old big stubby punished imprecision by getting hung up and not sliding well over strings. Too much friction made it difficult to play at speed with others. I started looking for new picks after 13 years because I recognized a problem. The pick was fine for playing slow by myself, but it was holding me back when I started playing out with others. Now I'm delighted that I took this journey. I wouldn't discourage anyone from trying something new to see if they get better performance.

Now if you are like my father-in-law and have a couple thousand fishing lures and I can catch just as many fish with a worm on a hook, well, that is a different kettle of fish altogether.

That was my problem with the BC pick. My right hand played so much faster with it, that the right hand would finish the tune before the left hand finished. (LOL) It has finally caught up but it took awile.
    I love my TPR50 for mando and TPR 40 for guitar.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mandobassman View Post
    He said that although the price was high that his profit margin was not that great. He's not charging that price just because it's a premium pick and he thinks it should cost that much.
    I don't care. Let him make a good buck. His product is well liked and apparently sells well at the price he charges. The market can bear it. He would be a fool to charge less, even if he could make a profit at a lower price.

That being said, when I am asked why I charge so much for what I do for a living I usually say the same types of things. Customers like to hear that.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Everything I do on the mandolin that sounds great is my raw talent. Everything that sucks is because of the pick, or the mandolin, or the strings, or the sound man, or the change in humidity, or the magnetic field, or the end of the Mayan Calendar. (Why didn't they just buy a new calendar by the way - they have quite a selection at Barnes and Noble.)

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Why didn't they just buy a new calendar by the way
    From what I've heard it was a Friday afternoon and had been a long week. They had Finished up on the future Mayan year and opted to cut out for an early weekend before proceeding with the following year on Monday. As he was walking home there was a solar eclipse and he fell off a cliff and broke his neck. All the other stone cutters took this as a bad omen and ran off to join the Mayan military and were consequently executed when they tried to fight with their chisels. If only they would have used their hammers the world might be going past this year!

At least.. that's what I heard...
    Kip...
    Blessings,
    Kip...

If you think you can or think you can't... you're likely right!

Eastman MD515, amid many guitars and a dulcimer.

[QUOTE=JeffD;1016788]Everything I do on the mandolin that sounds great is my raw talent. Everything that sucks is because of the pick, or the mandolin, or the strings, or the sound man, or the change in humidity, or the magnetic field, or the end of the Mayan Calendar. . . QUOTE]

Me, too!
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

Doubt the Mayans were on Julius Caesar or Pope Gregory's calendar.. what year is it really ?
    say on the Pagan calendar of 13 lunar cycles, rather than numbers according to a nemonic,
    30 days hath september, april june and.. , etc..

by the way I can play the same notes on my instrument with what pick I have in my hand..
    never was into 64th notes anyhow..
    Last edited by mandroid; Jan-31-2012 at 2:48pm.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

As I mentioned in my post above, the raw materials alone to make these are incredibly expensive, so I can believe that the profit margin may not be very high. AFAIK the plastic is some formula of Meldin. You can see on this web page that a 1/16" X 12" X12" sheet cost over $1300. I would also imagine that it is not that easy to form and cut this stuff. It is pretty tough material.

So for those who want to try their had at making their own...
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Jan-31-2012 at 2:54pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

I tried the DAWG picks and I was not able to get much volume with them. They did enable me to pick a little faster, but I found it harder to pull a good loud tone with them. That shape is just not pointy enough for me.

The entire staff
    funny....

Yeah, when I first started mandolin lessons I showed the teacher a couple different picks and said I found the "Dawg" style pretty easy to play. My teacher's comment was "Might be easy to play but you're not getting any sound out it". So I went back to the picks with a bit of a point.
    The first man who whistled
    thought he had a wren in his mouth.
    He went around all day
    with his lips puckered,
    afraid to swallow.

--"The First" by Wendell Berry

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I would also imagine that it is not that easy to form and cut this stuff. It is pretty tough material.
    I don't know about cutting a piece up, but I can say that I managed to ruin one of the picks quite easily with just a handful of well-placed strokes from a common emery board when I tried to change the bevel. I had assumed that the pick would be more resistant to me than it was, and the results were much more than I expected.

Ignatius

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    the end of the Mayan Calendar. (Why didn't they just buy a new calendar by the way - they have quite a selection at Barnes and Noble.)
    They did. I believe this is the end of the 12th cycle of the `Mayan' calendar.

It's those north of the border who seem unaware that it's prophesizing a trip to Barnes and Noble, not fiery doom. You don't hear stories out of the Mayan regions of Mexico of bunkers and the like ... I'm betting it's party horns, extra food, and having people over.
    Collings MT2
    Breedlove OF
    Ellie eMando
    Schmergl Devastator

I have one (TAD60) that I ordered unfinished, as in with just a blunt edge, and then beveled to (my sense of) perfection. However, it is collecting dust for the most part these days. The main reason is that I seldom use that shape of pick anymore, preferring the elongated Roman plectrum shape, which I have to make from scratch due to their rarity. But even when I do go for the triangle, the Blue Chip is just too bright for my taste.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel