Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tell me more about Giovanni Vicari

Default Re: Tell me more about Giovanni Vicari

Joe:LMK if and when you come around again to New York. I would love to connect. I have connections to Jethro, too. I will digitize those GV LPs soon, if that is any incentive.

Oh, and one more GV story, tho really second hand. Barry Mitterhoff told me this. He was performing in southern Westchester County and at some point in the concert he played Migliavacca. After the concert an elderly woman came over and told Barry that her husband played that tune. it was Mrs. Vicari. Barry did go out to visit with the family a few times.

------------
    Now who has first hand experience with Giovanni Giovale?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I never did meet Mrs. V, but I did talk to her briefly on the phone. When Mr. Vicari was in the hospital some one I still knew from New York let me know he was seriously ill and got me his room number there. I talked to her a bit then she put him on the phone. He was very emotional hearing from me after a few years and couldn't talk much. I spoke to her a little more, then we hung up. That was my last contact.

Giovale, sure. How about DePace? Any of the Italians. Any 1st hand stories left. Let's start a fan club. Friends of the Italian Mandolinists.

Also, not just the Italians. Any one left with any 1st hand stories with Apollon? My Dad talked about seeing him in Vaudeville. How about Howard Frye? I know Norman Levine was big on him. I used to have "Gypsy Mandolin" on cassette. I don't know if I have that anymore.

Howard Frye's wife was in the New York Mandolin Orchestra when I was there. She often played his customized A Jr. I think I have his LP and a CD version of it as well. "Gypsy Mandolin" is still available on CD and download.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I noticed on Mr. Tedesco's website this image of him playing a Mozzani harp guitar. The guy had style!

ph

º º º º º º º º º º º º º º º
    Paul Hostetter, luthier
    Santa Cruz, California
    www.lutherie.net

Jim, I went to 1 or 2 N.Y Mando Orch rehearsals, but I think I was moving and didn't stay with it. Maybe we met. I think Mitterhoff was at the rehearsal. Frye's wife? I dunno. That would have been cool.

Did Frye have more than one LP? I'll check for "Gypsy Mando' on ITunes, thanx for the tip.

I know I'll go back to New York again w/ my son living there. We should connect.

Wow, where's that pic from??

That's a classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Hostetter View Post
    I noticed on Mr. Tedesco's website this image of him playing a Mozzani harp guitar. The guy had style!

That is one of Michael Tedesco's pages (author of Mandolin of Gold)
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

That harp guitar photo is from another one of Michael Tedesco's pages on Vicari that I referenced earlier in this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Nice photos or Sr. Vicari on this page.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Big thanks for spinning these yarns, Joe. Very entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by mandopops View Post
    Did Frye have more than one LP? I'll check for "Gypsy Mando' on ITunes, thanx for the tip.
    Norman Levine put out an LP of live recordings of Fry "Classical Mandolin", I think was the title. I think it was in the 1980's, and has never been reissued. I should still have my copy in my LP collection, but much of it was water damaged at my last home, & I hope it wasn't. I'm intending to find it soon, I know which half it's NOT in.
    Elrod
    Gibson A2 1920(?)
    Breedlove Cascade
    Washburn 215(?) 1906-07(?)
    Victoria, B&J, New York(stolen 10/18/2011)
    Eastwood Airline Mandola

guitars:
    Guild D-25NT
    Vega 200 archtop, 1957?

Loved hearing your stories. I was a student from 84-85 and have one of his Carmelo Catania mandolins. Flat back, sweet sound and beautiful. Yes, he did indeed wear his jacket every time I was there. At times I would pick up pasteries from Daiuto's on 8th near Penn Station and bring them to him. When he became ill, I visited him at his home on LI. His lovely wife, Irene was there. We exchanged Christmas cards every year. She always wanted to keep in touch with "Giovanni's" students.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00486.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	84012

Nice to hear from a fellow student. You're were lucky to have met his wife. I never did, but I did have a chance to speak with her.

My Catania sure looks like a perfect match to yours. I love mine as well. It's a gem.

Bringing pastries? I wished I would have thought of that.

Glad to hear from you,

Joe

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Joe:LMK if and when you come around again to New York. I would love to connect. .... I will digitize those GV LPs soon, if that is any incentive.
    Joe, please go to NY and visit with Jim soon.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

You know, Mick, I think the time for subtlety has passed. It's time to call in Luca Brasi with the threat of "sleeping with the fishes".

Are you listening, Jim?

I am listening... glurg... glurg...

BTW: Joe and SunnynVA -- about those Carmelo Catania mandolins: when were they built. it looks like not all that long ago. Maybe 1960s or 70s?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Glad you asked , Jim

Mine is dated 7/31/1979, Model: 2/CT No. 102 (?)
    There is another number it says: Matricola 60417 (?)

The story is (here I go again), Mr. Vicari said he could get Cantania to make some if he got enough students to order. I think 5 or 6 of us ordered. It's been a while, but I think the price was $650 or $700. $100 more for a bowl-back. I got the flat back. Sometimes I wished I'd ordered a Bowl-back, they were awfully nice, but I'm glad I got mine.

There was some hassle at the airport with customs when they finally arrived, we had to pay some amount for duty. $25 or $50. being from Chicago, I assumed it was just somebodys palm needed greasing.

Name:  Catania Mandolin.jpg
Views: 913
Size:  4.5 KB

P.S. My wife has asked me what my Catania is now worth. (No, it's not for sale). I told her I honestly don't know. I have no way to gauge the market for one of these.

Anyone have a guess?

It had been my great fortune and pleasure to speak with and visit Mrs Vicari many times between the years 1998-2010.

Regarding the photos on my site: I went to visit her in early December (2008, if I remember correctly), and when I got there she had, at my earlier request, pulled out a bunch of photos for me to look at. I had my camera with me and I took pictures of the pictures. That's how the hand colored, Vicari harp-guitar, and several others ended up on my novel's website (www.amandolinofgold.com).

Although Mrs. Vicari contributed a tremendous amount of historical detail concerning her husband's career, she understood that I was researching and writing a novel, not a biography of Giovanni Vicari. Although I had written about her in the afterword, she preferred that I not include her in the acknowledgments. I removed them out of respect for her wishes.

I freely admit that the careers of Vicari, Gioviale, Calace, Apollon, etc, and the world of mandolin virtuosi circa 1880 to 1925 were my greatest inspirations. If not for Irene Vicari's encyclopedic memory and undying affection for her husband and his music, my novel would certainly have been something incalculably different.

Best,

Michael Tedesco

Michael:
    Thanks so much for checking in here. I have been meaning to read your book since I first heard about it. Now you remind me again.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Michael:
    Thanks so much for checking in here. I have been meaning to read your book since I first heard about it. Now you remind me again.
    Thanks, Jim,

Like I always say: If you don't like the novel, it also makes a fine doorstop, or booster seat.

Best,

Michael

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MF Tedesco View Post
    Thanks, Jim,

Like I always say: If you don't like the novel, it also makes a fine doorstop, or booster seat.

Best,

Michael
    On my summer reading list, now. Looking forward to it.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Hello Michael,

Glad you added to the ongoing thread. I'm also glad you were able to meet with Mrs. Vicari to find out more about Mr. Vicari.
    You're in Brooklyn, maybe the next time I'm in Brooklyn visiting my son we could meet.

Joe

If this is the Giovanni Vicari Who played mandolin in the wedding scene from "The Godfather" then yes I knew him. I studied classical guitar with him in the 70's his primary instrument was the mandolin. Let me know if this is the same Vicari and I will tell you more.

24. The following members say thank you to Collette for this post:

Does anyone seen or has the sheet music to Nostalgia, recorded by Vicari with mandola and guitar?
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Collette View Post
    Let me know if this is the same Vicari and I will tell you more.
    It's definitely him. Let it roll!
    ph

º º º º º º º º º º º º º º º
    Paul Hostetter, luthier
    Santa Cruz, California
    www.lutherie.net