View Poll Results: Do you own or plan to buy an iPad?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I own an iPad

85 65.38%
  • No, but I plan to buy one in the next 6 months

6 4.62%
  • No, but I plan to buy one in the next 12 months

7 5.38%
  • No, I do not own or plan to buy an iPad

32 24.62%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Members with iPads...

Default Re: Members with iPads...

There was a request for mando related apps. First for me is probably GuitarToolkit. This finally came out of the iPad about a month ago. Second is TabToolkit from the same company. This app plays GuitarPro files on the iPad, bouncing ball style. I use GuitarPro on my laptop for creating all my notation. IMHO it's better than TableEdit in almost every aspect and it reads TablEdit files.

If the iPad 3 gets a double resolution screen that will go a long way towards my using it to replacing sheet music. It's just a little too low res for my eyes.
    Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What isn't widely known by the general public yet is how rapidly education is advancing to electronic media for school textbooks, and I mean blindingly fast. US Secretary of Education Arne Duncan just announced a national initiative to convert classrooms to electronic textbooks by 2017. As the parent of a 13 year-old we hope college bound, this is very good news. You think a $400 iPad is expensive? That's two college textbooks. If you have Middle or High School kids hauling 25 pounds of books in their back packs, this is even more attractive.

Like it or not, this is the future. It's going to be hard on us old guys embracing the new technology, but we might as well start now.
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

3. The following members say thank you to Ted Eschliman for this post:

hank 

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Eschliman View Post
    Like it or not, this is the future. It's going to be hard on us old guys embracing the new technology, but we might as well start now.
    I just don't think the future is going to have an Apple logo on it hence my resistance to picking up what I think is a really cool device for my own use. If I had to pick a long term winner in this market it would be the first manufacture that comes up with a 10.4" Android 4 (or greater) based tablet under the $200 price point. Due to the open nature of the platform (Android) and less constrictive licensing.

The Kindle Fire is getting really close to this mark only needs to be produced at the same price point with a larger screen and Ice Cream Sandwich.
    Kip...
    Blessings,
    Kip...

If you think you can or think you can't... you're likely right!

Eastman MD515, amid many guitars and a dulcimer.

If that's the case, Android is going to be a very long term winner. With over 55 million iPads sold, Apple has a significant head start. Add to that Apple's ties to education and their involvement with the platform as a whole and I think Android has a tuff row to hoe.

Apple's advantage is that they are making investments on the OS, hardware and the supporting ecosystem. Google is only directly managing one of those fronts, the OS. They are relying on third parties to fill in the gaps. If a player enters the Android world that has Apple's vision and financial resources that will change the game. Until then, I'll place my bet on the worlds most profitable (and largest depending on the day) company.
    Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

My dad uses his everyday - I just can't get used to the keyboard - I think it was a good invention though - lots of applications and not just a toy.

Received and iPad for Xmas, and I use mine daily as well. (ironically, I can't see your poll via my iPad's Safari browser)
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kip Carter View Post
    I just don't think the future is going to have an Apple logo on it hence my resistance to picking up what I think is a really cool device for my own use. If I had to pick a long term winner in this market it would be ...
    My brother says this kind of thing, and frankly I am not sure what you mean. What ever you buy will be obsolete by the time the future sorts itself out, so you will be buying another one anyway. If you get something you can live with now, it will be relevant for long enough to really benefit from it and enjoy it. By the time the market coelesces on something (if it does, but that is a separate discussion, lets go with your premise), you are going to need a new one anyway.

Reminds me of Ralph Cramden not buying a color television until they come out with 3D.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

ah yes the bus analogy in regard to technology.... I've explained that to many many folks being deeply involved in IT for many many years now. But see the tablet technology is emerging. Investing early in an emerging technology is the most expensive part of the curve most of the time. I'm waiting for what will be indeed a bigger faster more comfortable bus however, unlike some that sit and with every new bus that comes along sees another one coming down the road that is even bigger and even fast and even better choose to wait for the next one (and consequently not being able to get on their trip till later).

No I have some fairly solid ideas of what I'm waiting for. I like a fairly open platform... Yeah I run windows 7 but I have more systems in my home and office running a linux flavor than I do windows. I have a price point. And last I have a small set of specifications and features that I want to see in that device (most notably screen size and resolution minimums).

If you're going to take that trip you're gonna need to pick a bus and get on. If you don't choose what bus you want to ride you are either going to just get on the next one or the first one you happen upon, or you're going to be doomed to keep looking up to see yet neater bus coming down the road as the bus you was considering jumping on pulls up.

It's all good. The Ipad is a great product an I really like it, I just want something that it can't give me and I'm willing to wait till one does.
    Kip...
    Blessings,
    Kip...

Blog Entries

It took me awhile to warm up to mine but now I take it to work instead of my Mac Book Pro, which has now become part of my mobile recording setup. It's light. It's portable. The battery lasts a goodly while -- and a lot longer than a laptop. I'm using Scorcerer to keep all my music organized. I've used it some on gigs but plan to get one of those Blue Tooth page-turner foot switches to make it more convenient. I also use a Blue Tooth keyboard if I want type more than a URL or brief email. (I'm using one now.)

If I need to do anything heavy duty -- mixing a song, writing a long memo, dealing with lots of spread sheet data -- I revert to a computer. If you need to look at stuff, iPads are usually just fine. If you need to do stuff, I go to the computer.

One frustration is there are things, like the Cafe tune of the Day, that the iPad won't handle. I'm guessing those are Flash apps? But increasinly if a website has a video, it'll play on the iPad. Maybe somebody who understands HTML5 or whatever it is can 'splain that.
    '20 Ellis A5 Tradition, '09 Gilchrist Model 1, “July 9” Red Diamond F-5, '12 Duff F-5, '19 Collings MT2, ’24 A2-Z, ’24 F-2, '13 Collings mandola, '82 D-35, Gibson Keb Mo. http://www.bucktownrevue.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Romkey View Post
    One frustration is there are things, like the Cafe tune of the Day, that the iPad won't handle. I'm guessing those are Flash apps? But increasinly if a website has a video, it'll play on the iPad. Maybe somebody who understands HTML5 or whatever it is can 'splain that.
    I've just finished (to the extent that any web site is finished) a site where we wanted to make sure music samples were available on both computers and iPads (and phones).

There's still some incompatibility issues as things evolve. Apple doesn't want to support Flash due to old conflicts with Adobe. Firefox can't directly support MP3 files due to licensing issues, because it's open source and MP3 is a proprietary format (still). So Firefox has to fall back on Flash, or a second set of files in Ogg Vorbis format. HTML 5 is the way forward, but you can't just rely on that alone, yet, because there are so many legacy browser versions out there. The good news is that current "mobile devices" including the iPad mostly seem to support HTML 5 media.

If this is all Greek to you, rest assured that it's still about 70% Greek to me too, and I'm just good at pulling and pushing on the levers until something works.

For any web devs out there looking to support cross-platform, check out Jplayer, the open source Jquery plugin we settled on for music playback.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim MacDaniel View Post
    Received and iPad for Xmas, and I use mine daily as well. (ironically, I can't see your poll via my iPad's Safari browser)
    That's odd. I am looking at the poll with my iPad2 and Safari right now.

Kip, it does sound like an Android tablet would be perfect for you. I don't think it will be too long before the manufacturer's catchup to the current iPad in terms of build quality. I think it really comes down to manufacturing costs. Apple runs such a tight manufacturing operation they are able to pull off minor miracles compared to the other tablet makers. As prices drop for the components, the build quality will improve and the prices will drop.
    Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

I agree Charlie. The Fire is almost there and has the price point. Shouldn't be much longer and I can dive into the tablet pool.
    Kip...
    Blessings,
    Kip...

I am not sure if others have already shared these links, but I just discovered a couple of nice podcasts about Bill Monroe from Murray State University:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...=97229073&mt=2

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...=97229067&mt=2

(Scroll down the list to entries 35 and 36.)

These are free downloads on iTunes U. You probably don't need an iPad. An iPhone or any computer running iTunes should be able to access them.
    Last edited by lukmanohnz; Dec-01-2012 at 6:48pm. Reason: more details

Blog Entries

I have one on the way. After reading this thread I have serious doubts whether this was a wise decision.

Blog Entries

I should explain. The serious doubts are because of my own lack of knowledge about computers.

My daughter is a huge Apple user, but she got an iPad 2 for Christmas last year and just never got into it. So she gave it to me and I don't get it at all. I have two iPhones, a 4S for personal use and a 5 for work and I am really into iPhone apps, but the iPad just doesn't seem to fill any void between a laptop and a phone. It's not capable enough to be my computer, but it's too big to be my phone and it doesn't really let me do anything I can't do on either my laptop or my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by John Flynn View Post
    My daughter is a huge Apple user, but she got an iPad 2 for Christmas last year and just never got into it. So she gave it to me and I don't get it at all. I have two iPhones, a 4S for personal use and a 5 for work and I am really into iPhone apps, but the iPad just doesn't seem to fill any void between a laptop and a phone. It's not capable enough to be my computer, but it's too big to be my phone and it doesn't really let me do anything I can't do on either my laptop or my phone.
    To each his or her own, of course. My iPad is a constant companion and integral part of my mandolin practice routine. I use it to view tef files.(tefview), as a tool for learning tunes and a backing track player for play along practice with slow down and looping (capo), an electronic tuner (iStroboSoft), and of course to check for new information and forum posts at the cafe. It's more portable than a laptop and much easier for reading tab than an iPhone. There are many other uses I have discovered for it that have nothing to do with mandolin.

No iPad, no cell phone, no TV... Just a computer in my office. Like I NEED any more distractions?

I have 2 laptops and an iPad.i only use the iPad .Haven't used the laptops since I bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by Laird View Post
    No iPad, no cell phone, no TV... Just a computer in my office. Like I NEED any more distractions?
    Ditto almost; No TV; I have only a prepaid anonymous cellphone and a secondhand laptop, both 90% used only when traveling. I hate distractions, seldom have background sounds of any type on, and don't like technology that uses touchscreens.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

Well I have two android devices a tablet and a smart phone 3 work computers, one personal laptop and about 4 old cast offs. Course I'm in the technology business so... it's a natural. I do love using my Android 4 tablet for my music. It is a great why to haul around lots of music in a lightweight package.

Kip...
    Blessings,
    Kip...

I just sold my iPad 2 to a friend this week and picked up a new iPad 4 a few minutes later. I am what many refer to as an Apple Fanboy(and I'm proud) because Apple did it right when the laid the Gui on top of a unix/linix OS many years ago. I write apps for the App store and currently have two apps in the store. I love the device integration Apple has accomplished and so far they are to top game in town. The iBooks will only enhance Apple by spreading it deeper into corporate America—other countries also—where Windows has traditionally been the top-dog.