Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many here are regular gigging players ? Who are we ?

Default How many here are regular gigging players ? Who are we ?

We have such a diverse group and as typical with many other forums, questions are asked and we have multiple responses...some based on opinion, some based on experience and of course some based on conjecture...

So in light of the many variables, where do we all stand ? I ask this because as is the case on other forums, folks ask questions looking for information or advise on various topics ( instrument related) and the responses vary from PRO's to people who don't even play !

So who are we ?... experience, no experience, novice , bandstand, no bandstand..bedroom..solo, duo, trio, band. etc..any instruments , everything's game...How long have we been playing music ?

I'll start.. +40 years on the bandstands , still active weekly gigs.. Guitars, Dobro,Steel Guitars. My serious Mandolin study began early last year. Could I gig on Mandolin ? Sure but it would not be on par with many of the players here, not novice but not intermediate either, somewhere in the "I can get by and hold my own " mode.
    t
    Last edited by tprior; Feb-03-2012 at 5:34am.

Default Re: How many here are regular gigging players ? Who are we ?

Gig regularly. Mostly mandolin, sometimes bass. Just bought a bass so will probably doing more of that. Played in a Django band, a klezmer band, tons of bluegrass and country bands, lots of singer/songwriters and one crazy multiple mandolin band called "Mandolirium". Sample of that posted on the Pink Panther thread.

Blog Entries

I've played in bluegrass and folky/singer songwriter bands and sat in with a reggae/ska type deal once upon a time with my 8 years of experience. I'd say I'm an experienced and serious beginner but maybe on the intermediate side.
    Breedlove Quartz FF with K&K Twin - Weber Big Horn - Fender FM62SCE
    Wall Hangers - 1970's Stella A and 60's Kay Kraft

Whether you slow your roll or mash on it, enjoy the ride.

I have been playing in local bands for the past 38 years, playing mandolin and bass. Currently playing in two bands, bass in one and mandolin in the other. Never work with a touring band or on a national level, but then I have never had a desire to. I enjoy working in local bands and keeping it a enjoyable hobby rather than my full time job. Playing 2 or 3 times a month is enough for me. Played bass in a top-40 Country band for about 5 years in the mid 80's, but other than that, it has been all Bluegrass.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Destroyer of Mandolins

I've been playing 100-150 shows a year for the last 15 years. Predominantly Irish folk (the pub songs, not the jigs and reels) in a duo with my guitarist partner. I play mandolin, whistle, flute, tenor banjo, and a few tunes on solo guitar when we need to stretch the set without a break. We play 95% of the time on the north NJ Irish pub/restaurant circuit.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

2 gigs every weekend - sometimes more
    I play ITM - bodhran and bones.

Mandolin addicted...So? Pete Counter's Avatar

My main gig is a southern gospel group, 11 years now, regular church, homecoming and other events. Regular tv appearances on unity broadcasting tv-18 here in south central tn. 5 members keyboard, guitar, bass, mandolin, lead guitar/pedal steel. Everybody sings. Im a closet bluegrass picker, former banjo player (switched 11 years ago) I play guitar and bass also. Just getting into bluegrass jams with much higher level pickers than me. Bluegrass bootcamp, lol.

Started giging when I was 13, still doing it on a regular basis 50-75 times anually 44 years later. Fiddle with a Bluegrass band, mandolin guitar and fiddle with a singer/songwriter and the same with my friends. I'm gonna do it till I can't!
    Last edited by stratman62; Feb-03-2012 at 9:56am. Reason: spelling
    dwight in NC

I play in local bluegrass bands, always mandolin, usually about 20 or 30 gigs a year.

Up until last August I was playing in a bluegrassy/americana band that was starting to tour regionally and we were doing 100-150 dates a year. I played mandolin in that band. I've played guitar and mandolin in previous local bands, all in all about 10 years of gig experience. With the addition of a third child I gave up the going on the road two to three weekends a month and now I gig very occasionally, just sitting in with folks. One day I may try to break back into a regular gigging band...

1924 Gibson A Jr. Snakehead
    2004 Elkhorn A-5, #3
    2016 White F-5, #6

Blog Entries

I am a non-gigging musician. I play at jams and in kitchens all over the country. I have the instrument out just about every day, and I jam or play about 15 hours a week, sometimes more, rarely less.

I enjoy music way too much to make it a profession.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Gigging in one form or another since 1982. Started in hardcore punk and have since played R&B, country, roots, singer/songwriter (four solo albums), hard rock, tons of folk, etc. These days mandolin is main instrument, but also play a bunch of other stuff (guitar, uke, dobro, jug, jaw harp, guitar, tenor banjo/guitar...) in two bands - Lost Radio Rounders and Ramblin Jug Stompers. Do a fair amount of sideman gigs, like this weekend (Saturday) playing mando and uke for Stephen Clair and M Shanghai String Band at Jalopy in Brooklyn. Featured Artist with National Reso-Phonic and endorsee of The Loar. Day job is as freelance music writer.
    2020 Custom Weber Yellowstone F-20-F octave mandolin
    2019 Weber Yellowstone F-17 mandola
    2019 Custom Weber Diamondback F14-F
    2018 Custom Weber Yellowstone F14-0
    2016 Weber Octar

www.webermandolins.com/mandolin-artists/michael-eck

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

I play 1-2 gigs per month. Started playing guitar when I was about 12 or 13, been in and out of bands for 33 years. First band was a country rock affair. Then I switched to bass, now mandolin for the last 4 years.
    Living’ in the Mitten

I build and repair full time, since 1988. I play mandolin in a bluegrass band, Red Dog Ash, at our monthly gig locally. During festival season we do 3-4 gigs a month. We won the Emerging Artist band competition at the Plymouth Bluegrass Festival this fall and are busier this year already. It will probably average out to 2-3 gigs a month until the fall.

i don't think you can draw too many conclusions re. the worth and value of folk's advice based of their gigging experience. i've been around musicians that have gigged forever and don't know which end is up....about music, about gear, sometimes maybe both.

and on the other side of the coin i've known some wonderfully talented musicians who really know their #*&@ but choose not to gig.

me i've been gigging regularly for around 37 yrs on bass, gtr, lap steel, vibraphone (that's why my handle is i-vibe), mandolin, and dobro.

currently gigging around mid-missouri playing:

bass w PLANET JAZZ http://vimeo.com/21818700

bass, mandolin, gtr w VAL & MAL http://www.viddler.com/v/9bbffa66

vibes w THE BVD's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfL5sEcp-w8

mandolin, dobro, doghouse w THE MERE MORTALS
    just groove, baby!

I still need your string labels!

Been gigging in one form or another since the mid seventies. Currently playing mandolin & occasional guitar/tenor guitar in Keeping Fire, a band that plays bluegrass California-style. Also mandolin, guitar, & tenor guitar with the Moreton Bay String Band. For about 10 years I've played guitar with a violin, cello, guitar trio we call the Pasadena Strings. I have to wear a tux with the P Strings, which isn't much fun, but it's also the one that pays good money, which can be charming.
    Steve

"They're approaching. That's very forward of them."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by i-vibe View Post
    i don't think you can draw too many conclusions re. the worth and value of folk's advice based of their gigging experience. i've been around musicians that have gigged forever and don't know which end is up....about music, about gear, sometimes maybe both.

and on the other side of the coin i've known some wonderfully talented musicians who really know their #*&@ but choose not to gig.
    Yea. That.
    Breedlove Quartz FF with K&K Twin - Weber Big Horn - Fender FM62SCE
    Wall Hangers - 1970's Stella A and 60's Kay Kraft

Whether you slow your roll or mash on it, enjoy the ride.

Lost my boots in transit terzinator's Avatar

Maybe 1-2 gigs a month... 3-4 jams or rehearsals a month... Totally a hobby, and the gigs are usually just for fun or warming up for more-established bands. Only playing mandolin for the past 2-1/2 years (after 35+ on guitar)...

http://www.facebook.com/tresmotomusic

My first gig as a lead singer and guitarist was in middle school...(been downhill ever since ). Played the club circuit (usually drums) most weekends the past several years--not as a pro, but at the standard pay rate. Recently gave it up entirely -- don't even have time to jam, so I'm playing for fun and family. I used to do some music thanatology work for hospice...when my kids get older I hope to return to ths work.

Have performed on: solo classical, flamenco and fingerstyle guitar; tenor banjo in dixie-style brass band; pedal steel in "classic country" band; and various strings and accordians in various folk bands.
    Last edited by catmandu2; Feb-03-2012 at 12:39pm.

Been "playing out" for 42 years. Currently playing 150± gigs/year, about half of them for seniors, the others a mix of libraries, schools, historical societies and museums, coffeehouses, regional festivals and private parties.

Member of three more-or-less regular bands: Innisfree, Celtic instrumental; Love & Knishes, Jewish-related plus originals; Flint Hill Folk, 19th-century historical music (costume, period instruments). Also lots of solo work and some ad hoc duets with various musical friends.

Most of my mandolin gigging is in bands and duets; as a solo, it's mostly guitar, banjo, ukulele, harmonica and concertina. I have been active for 40+ years in our local folk club, and also currently help run a small-potatoes concert series near Rochester.

Since retiring from local government, I've really been doing music "full time," as much as I can. Glad, however, that I don't have to rely on what I make performing, to support my family and me. Anyone interested in what I do musically can check my website, which I try to keep fairly current...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Love & Knishes, Jewish-related plus originals; [I]

Love & Knishes....love it! so would you guys be round ..... or square?
    just groove, baby!

I still need your string labels!

When it comes to the mandolin, I'm a complete novice. I'm learning to play on a 1993 Sigma A-style mandolin (not sure they even make them anymore), but am about 2 weeks from buying my own.

I regularly play acoustic guitar with a gospel group - every week with an occasional special event at a fair or community get-together.

I was fortunate enough to study music at Jacksonville State University from 1989 - 1993. Majored on the Euphonium, and got a degree in Music Theory. It definitely helps when it comes to understanding the "how and why" of the guitar and mando, but it certainly doesn't make it any easier to learn to play! Being able to break down the chords structure in your head, and knowing what the improv would be within the key/chord doesn't mean you can play it. Maybe I'll be there after a few more years of sitting in the woodshed earning my chops.

Damon

Practice once a week here in the UK with the Slippery Hill Boys, about 30 gigs in the book so far this year, more to come. We play a mixture of straight 'listening' gigs plus a fair number of dance gigs with a caller. Both fun, in different ways. We play a lot of informal sessions too, and we tend to be offered more paid gigs on the strength of that. I play in Church with a folky type band a couple of times a month as well. Add to that a number of gigs as a sound man; makes me wonder how I fit in the full-time job, but explains why I sometimes feel the need for a 12-hour sleep! Retirement and full-time music beckons...
    Tim Mundy
    www.slipperyhill.co.uk
    2002 Gibson F5 Fern
    1920 Gibson A2
    2005 Gibson A5L
    Rigel A+ Deluxe Custom
    1926 Gibson TB1 Tenor Banjo
    1963 Epiphone TF28 Tenor Guitar
    Ovation MM868 Mandocello
    1987 Rob Armstrong Mandolinetto

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

I play in a 4 man Irish/Scottish band a la The Irish Rovers. We don't gig too often except around St. Paddy's Day. I play mandolin and whistle about 50/50, sing backup.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DamonIRB View Post
    I was fortunate enough to study music at Jacksonville State University from 1989 - 1993. Majored on the Euphonium, and got a degree in Music Theory.
    Way to go. A music store near me has an old double belled euphonium hanging on the wall. I think it is the coolest thing. I have been tempted to buy it and learn to play.

I love lower brass. I played in a string band many years ago, (straw hats and vests and My Gal Sal), and we had 10 banjos, a guitar, and two mandolins and a tuba. More recently I was in a great jam, mandolin, two fiddles, auto harp, banjo, and a tuba. It was wild.

I quite understand the lure of the mandolin. (Its the groupies, right?) But don't lose your euphonium chops. That is one cool instrument.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....