Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many here are regular gigging players ? Who are we ?

Default Re: How many here are regular gigging players ? Who are we ?

I've been gigging about eight years, but mostly Irish festivals (in the cultural tent -- we're the free musicians, not the ones on stage) and a bunch of private parties around St. Patrick's Day, the occasional wedding or birthday, and occasionally at a school or nursing home. We'll do town/village green programs, the Fourth of July fireworks show and welcoming Santa in the winter, too, and fund-raisers and wakes. It's not a band, per se; we're almost never the same people at any specific gig, or even the same number. So although we get paid for our time/musicianship, travel and use microphones (or go straight acoustic), it's a different experience than most bands have. We're more like a traveling intermediate session.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

I play mandolin live every week with a band and switch to violin on certain songs (Not every week). I practice both at least an hour per day and haven't missed a day for at least a year.

I also play guitar and keyboards. I'm good enough to play guitar in my band but we have extra guitar players waiting in the wings and I never have to sit out on mandolin. I took about a decade of piano lessons but would insist on several weeks of practice before I would play for an audience.

I also have a school band background playing clarinet, bass clarinet and ... get this... French horn.
    My band has a repertoire of about 120 songs and we try to add a new one once a month.

Oh... I've been playing mandolin since 1978. I can and do play several different styles. It's mostly contemporary Christian music for my band but I also really enjoy bluegrass and Irish music as well as classical on violin. It's mainly classic rock and blues for guitar with a few folk songs thrown in now and then.

Started in a bluegrass band in the '70's, then in country dance bands when we moved to the farm. That expanded into playing with singer-songwriters and then we had a band in the city for a while. One of the fun highlights was doing a tour of northern Europe with an original country band. Currently, I'm playing in a duo doing old time fiddle tunes whatever else we can make fit in and in a country band with a great singer/songwriter. (By country, I mean country, not nashpop )

Quote Originally Posted by i-vibe View Post
    Love & Knishes....love it! so would you guys be round ..... or square?
    Little of both, I guess...

Here's Bonnie Abrams' song Ruby's Knishes used to back up a vid of Ruby the Knish Man from the 1960-70's Catskills. She's our songwriter/lead singer; Glenna Chance plays fiddle, I'm on my 1910 Gibson F-2 mandolin:

Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I'm currently gigging with 3 bands, one is bluegrass/old timey, one is bluegrass/swing, and one is Celtic/Irish. I have been juggling the gig schedule to make sure I can meet each commitment. Two bands are splitting a bill coming up and another date has me playing an afternoon gig with one and an evening with another. I'm glad my day job doesn't conflict with playing out, one of my bosses is a bandmate.
    I started gigging with a bandmate in 1970, moved away from the area for 27 yrs., now back for 5 yrs. and playing with my bandmate from 1970 again, seems like I never left.
    I've just commited to fill in for another band for one gig, I enjoy pick up work too.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

I played my first gig at a coffee house in 1972 at the tender age of 15. I've spent my whole life playing, but have almost always had a day job too. I have been in bands that traveled to different parts of the country to play, and there was a time when being a full time, touring musician was my ambition, but the reality of what it takes to do that set in pretty quick. I currently play electric guitar, steel guitar, and mandolin in the best band that I've ever been in. We play around our area 2 - 4 times a month, and rehearse every other week. We work up new material at every rehearsal, and generally have a great time together. I also play mandolin in a jazz group that for the past year and a half has played every Friday. We just lost one of our every other Friday gigs, so now I have the early part of those nights off.
    So, I consider myself a part time musician that probably plays about 60 gigs a year.
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters

Well all I can say is I'm pretty impressed by this stellar group here !

I've been playing mando about 7 years. So, I guess I'm about 3 years away from being decent. I play with our family bluegrass band with my 3 sons (all teenagers). When we get organized we play 3-4 times a month, then we get busy with other things and will skip a whole month. We play nursing homes, coffee shops, and other local events. I figure as long as we play for free we'll never have the audience ask for their money back.

Former flute player who took 15 years off and then discovered the mandolin 6 years ago. I'm in an open band that does a gig about once a month or so--some paid, some freebies for nursing homes, local events, wedding receptions, and 2 barn dances per year. Mostly old time, but some Celtic and bluegrass. I'm trying as hard as I can to expand my chord repertoire so I can play electric mando in an open jazz jam. I hope someday that some group will ask me to be their mando player (therefore, I practice...).

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post
    My first gig as a lead singer and guitarist was in middle school...(been downhill ever since ). Played the club circuit (usually drums) most weekends the past several years--not as a pro, but at the standard pay rate. Recently gave it up entirely -- don't even have time to jam, so I'm playing for fun and family. I used to do some music thanatology work for hospice...when my kids get older I hope to return to ths work.

Have performed on: solo classical, flamenco and fingerstyle guitar; tenor banjo in dixie-style brass band; pedal steel in "classic country" band; and various strings and accordians in various folk bands.
    Since I'm fairly new to the game, (6 months of gigging), what is the standard pay rate?

Quote Originally Posted by ajhayes View Post
    Since I'm fairly new to the game, (6 months of gigging), what is the standard pay rate?
    In my local scene: $100 per man/woman

... private functions such as weddings, parties and events where you're free to set your own rate, it can be much more

Started last week, every Monday at Austin, Texas's House of Prayer - the joy the first week was meeting the woman who played before me - she's homeless and a very good artist with clay - her guitar and voice needs some practice - but we talked and really connected - then I played to an empty room, though people said they could hear the music outside the room and they could worship to it - it was all in all a good experience - I'll be back there Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Mando View Post
    Former flute player who took 15 years off and then discovered the mandolin 6 years ago. I'm in an open band that does a gig about once a month or so--some paid, some freebies for nursing homes, local events, wedding receptions, and 2 barn dances per year. Mostly old time, but some Celtic and bluegrass. I'm trying as hard as I can to expand my chord repertoire so I can play electric mando in an open jazz jam. I hope someday that some group will ask me to be their mando player (therefore, I practice...).
    Oh, I thought you were addressing me. I'm a former flute player, took about 15 years off, then started mando 7 years ago. It's so nice to finally be able to improvise after all those years of reading my flute part exactly as written.

Quote Originally Posted by mommythrice View Post
    Oh, I thought you were addressing me. I'm a former flute player, took about 15 years off, then started mando 7 years ago. It's so nice to finally be able to improvise after all those years of reading my flute part exactly as written.
    I had an epiphanous experience with horns recently--like you all of my playing in the early years was from a score (the reason I went to guitar early on)...when I picked up my horns again 30 years later--my lifetime of playing with strings made it all completely different and they feel as natural as singing, and most inspiring for improvising

I've been gigging full time or part time (these days it's part time due mainly to the downturn) for 23 years in a variety of musical styles. I made a few small records and have traveled extensively, mostly touring the South East, but in recent years have gigged in the North West and Canada. I have also spent many years in related industries as a recording engineer, sound and lighting tech, theatre technical director, etc.

I played Country Western in the Denver area, mostly DAV , Legion, VFW dances ect. in the last half of the 70s, took the 80s off to raise small children, played Classic Rock and originals in a Band called Mister Meaner that catered to Biker Bars , Ralleys and what ever dive would take us through the 90s, Played with a number of singer songwriters through those years too, mostly lead and embelishments on guitar until I took up Mandolin in 95 and then added it to the mix. Worked as the soundman for The Canon Rose Acoustic society from 2001 through 2004, where I learned more about how to perform than in the previous 30 years. Had some really good players come through, Harvey Reid was a real pleasure to work with and the Cherryholmes were just starting out but you could tell they had something goin' on. Anyway other than a few open mics and a short time playing lead in a Blues Band I've been out of the performance side since 2004 ( did alot of recording in these years) , but a recent divorce has made me think I'll put it out there and I'm getting involved in a regular Friday night gig where I'll be able to sell my cd/downloads and show off the mandolin chops I've earned while woodshedding thes last 8 years.
    Last edited by Jim; Feb-05-2012 at 11:49am. Reason: sp
    Jim Richmond

I play in a Irish rock band doing original and traditional tunes. We are based out of Brooklyn, NY and play all over the NY\NJ area and beyond. We play pubs, bars, Irish festivals and events. I originally started on guitar and have been playing mandolin for about 10 years.

Gig with a full BG band and also with a trio on the side and play regularly backing up a solo singer/songwriter. Freelance out fairly much and have done some studio work would like to do more.

Also I teach beginners in my spare time have four students right now and go to every jam and open mic I can if I am not playing anywhere. Music is a big part of my life so I haven't had time for a day job in years. I'm poor but happy! LOL!