Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Samuel Seigel

Mandolin tragic Graham McDonald's Avatar

Default Re: Samuel Seigel

Samuel Siegel was a regular contributor to The Cadenza, the mandolin world bible early last century. I will check through tomorrow for whatever bio stuff might be there.

2. The following members say thank you to Graham McDonald for this post:

Mandolin tragic Graham McDonald's Avatar

A few bits from The Cadenza. It seemed that there was barely an issue published of either The Cadenza or The Cresendo (the rival publication from 1908) where Siegel was not mentioned in one way or the other. It was often no more than a composition credit in a concert program, but his name was always there.Sam Siegel was also a board member of the American Guild of Banjoists, Mandolinists and Guitarists for many years.

A Regal ad promoting a national tour in 1901.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seigel1901.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	130.6 KB 
ID:	149860

and a personal promotional ad from 1902

Name:	siegel1902.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	149861

From The Cadenza in 1903 promoting his new pick

Name:	siegel1903.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	149863

Reviews from a season in Nashville in January 1905

Name:	seigel1905.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	133.7 KB 
ID:	149862

Ans a Vega ad from The Cadenza in January 1911. Not actually saying Sam plays a Vega, but definitely not a Gibson 8-) Vega was using his name a couple of years earlier in the same way, promoting the idea of the bowlback mandolin generally. The same issue mentions that Mr Siegel was a "concert-mandolinist who retired to perfect the correspondence system of the Siegel-Myers School of Music".

Name:	siegel1.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	134.6 KB 
ID:	149864

By 1917 the Siegel-Myers School of Music in Chicago had opened the University Extension Conservatory which sold correspondence lessons by Siegel for mandolin William Foden for guitar and Fred Bacon for banjo as well as for other instruments such as Hawaiian guitar and ukulele.

The July 1924 issue of The Crescendo noted that Mr and Mrs Sanuel Siegel's daughter Dorothy had passed away shortly after her fourteenth birthday after a year's illness from heart trouble. That may have influenced the move to England.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Graham McDonald For This Useful Post:

I acquired a good handful of wax cylinders a decade or so ago mostly of Siegel's and donated them to the UCSB Cylinder archive. Some of mine are in this group of 17 records.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

I hear all the recordings in the library of the congress and the link of Jim, what a pleasure! This man was a great player, a virtuoso, really. A friend of mine says about this kind of players "they have no bones in the fingers or the instrument has no frets"!

8. The following members say thank you to Jairo Ramos for this post:

Michael Reichenbach

I have compiled some stuff from Music Trade review on my mandoisland website

You may note that even then the name has been changed to "Seigel" in one case...
    Homepage: www.mandoisland.de / Blog: www.mandoisland.com / Freiburg / Germany

10. The following members say thank you to mandoisland for this post:

Very cool, Jim, you had those recordings to donate & they are available to hear. I really love those introductions. They fit the Musical style & presentation. How I yearn to step back into the days of Vaudeville.
    Joe B

12. The following members say thank you to mandopops for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mandopops View Post
    How I yearn to step back into the days of Vaudeville.
    Joe B
    I might have had a better career!

This Kid Needs Practice Bill Clements's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    This may be the best website on the internet. What a cool set of convergences and stories.
    Jamie
    It IS the best website on the internet!
    "Music is the only noise for which one is obliged to pay." ~ Alexander Dumas

Just to keep our hero at the top of the discussions here is one of my favorites from the Todd Collection in the UCSB Cylinder Archives.

Hawthorne Club.

http://www.library.ucsb.edu/OBJID/Cylinder4671
    Mark Lynch

I thought you Siegel fans might enjoy this.

The Edison site posted this Siegel 1918 Diamond Disc test pressing.

Follow the link and select Ragtime Echoes.

Ragtime Echoes
    Performed by: Samuel Siegel - mandolin ; Marie Caveny - ukulele
    Composed by: Samuel Siegel
    Record format: Edison Diamond Disc test pressing
    Matrix number: 6599-B-1-1
    Recording date: 1918
    NPS object catalog number: EDIS 76220

https://www.nps.gov/edis/learn/photo...nd-ragtime.htm
    Mark Lynch

Quote Originally Posted by MarkELynch View Post
    I thought you Siegel fans might enjoy this.

The Edison site posted this Siegel 1918 Diamond Disc test pressing.
    Very cool Mark! That one might not have been on cylinder so would not be on the Cylinder archive. Another example of his stellar playing. That sounds like a tenor banjo or possibly a mandolin-banjo.

For convenience (or download of mp3):

Siegel - Ragtime Echoes
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

18. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Hi Jim, this performance was most likely dubbed from Diamond Disc to Blue Amberol 4523 (cylinder) and appears in the June 1922 Edison Blue Amberol catalog supplement with this description.

"Truly a novelty and a dashing, whirlwind one-step. Samuel Siegel plays the mandolin with the technique of a violin virtuoso. He also appears in the role of composer."

The instrumentation is mandolin and ukulele.

I am still researching if it was also issued in the Diamond Disc format. After the Diamond Disc format took over at the Edison Laboratories recordings were made solely onto disc and then dubbed to the cylinder format to supply material for the many customers that still had cylinder machines. Commercial music cylinders were available right up to the end of Edison's involvement with music records and phonographs in 1929. The business phonographs and blank cylinders for office use continued much longer.

Mark
    Mark Lynch

Quote Originally Posted by MarkELynch View Post
    The instrumentation is mandolin and ukulele.
    It still sounds like a some sort of banjo to me.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Quote Originally Posted by SamsNephew View Post
    Annette, my name is David Shiffman, but I was born David Siegel, in London, Oct. 1939. My father was Clarence Isaac Siegel, youngest brother and one-time protege of Samuel. I do NOT remember ever meeting any other member of the Siegel family, but my parents left London in 1940 for Los Angeles. Clarence died 12/28/47, when I was 8 and my brother Ed was 33 months. Samuel died just 17 days later. The ONLY members of the Siegel family I ever met were my father, Clarence, and Anita, daughter of Clarence and his first wife. Samuel and Donald left London in 1934, years before I was born.
    I am NOT musical, but Ed always was, and he eventually had the guitar (Washburn) and ukulele. I remember a banjo, but neither a mandolin or violin - but I might have seen a chin cushion, like violinists use. A few years ago, Ed did some ancestry research that you might want to see, so send me a note.
    I have made several corrections and additions to the text above.

22. The following members say thank you to SamsNephew for this post:

The "surviving Siegel" you mention was my younger brother, Dr. Edward Siegel, who is of course another nephew of Samuel. Our mother, Jeanette Nina Schremser Siegel, would answer direct questions, but would never discuss the Siegel family with me. Clarence Isaac Siegel died 12/28/1947, when I was 8, and our mother re-married a couple of years later. Ben Shiffman formally adopted both me and my brother a year or so later. I do have a few recollections of my father, including the Japanese surrender after Nagasaki, and a few instances of him playing a banjo, ukelele, and guitar (Washburn) that my brother learned to play.

On 02/13/2012, Annette Siegel posted 2 sentences;
    1. Samuel Siegel was my husbands grandfather!
    2. As far as we could tell he was a Washburn man.
    A day later, she added some details, including the first reference to Donald Siegel that I ever saw (but not until 04/2016):
    • As far as the the family links to Samuel Siegel, as I said he was my husband's grandfather and my husband's father was Don Siegel (director). Samuel had died some time before my husband was born...and Nowell's father is no longer with us. We did name our son after Samuel though...wanted to keep the name going. My husband and I call our music duo "The Seagulls" misspellings abound with "Siegel" just look at the thread title : )
    im Garber, Annette Siegel, and "Brunello97" each added a little more, but I would not find it for several more years.
    Robert A. Margo posted on 11/30/2010 that he wanted to contact Paul Sparks to put him in touch with my brother, Dr. Edward Siegel, to learn more about Samuel.# However, it appears that our cousin Donald was never mentioned, and when I asked Ed, he did not remember.

Paul and I have been in touch, thanks everyone.The context of this:
    I was contacted two weeks ago by Dr. Edward Siegel, the nephew of Samuel Siegel, the noted early twentieth century American mandolinist. Dr. Siegel was looking for information about his famous uncle. I provided him with some, as did Paul.#
    Robert A. Margo

This was mentioned again by Robert Margo on 02/24/2012, without my brother's name.#

I attended a Mensa meeting in April 2016.# Our guest speaker was a guitarist and a music teacher at University Of Memphis, and was very interested in ancient stringed instruments.# The mandolin was not initially mentioned, but another member asked about it.# He said that it had been around for at least 400 years, and certainly qualified, but he had not brought one to demonstrate.# But that mention woke up a dormant brain cell in my head, but without a first name.# I asked the speaker if he knew of a mandolinist from very early 1900's named "Siegel," but he did not know.# However, when I got home, Google showed me many pages of Samuel Siegel, including "Mandolin Cafe."
    This is truly Siegel family trivia, but since I never met either Uncle Samuel or Cousin Donald Siegel, but I have lived in Memphis (with a few breaks) since 1965, and Memphis was the home of Elvis Presley for most of his life. Elvis, in turn, has a connection to Donald based on his only dramatic film, "Flaming Star," directed by Donald. I was never much of an Elvis fan, but he loved Memphis as much as Memphis loved him.# Meanwhile, Annette's posted claim to Siegel family membership was the first time that I ever heard of Donald Siegel, but that did not happen until April of 2016, when I saw her post, and a few days later, when I became a member of Mandolin Cafe and posted an explanation of my interest.

My new connection to Elvis Presley actually came from IMDB instead of Mandolin Cafe, but would not have happened without your help.# IMDB includes interspersed bits of trivia, and one such tidbit tells us that during the filming of "Flaming Star," Elvis loaned a brand-new Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud to Donald for two weeks.# We had a visitor a couple of weeks ago who was visiting us, but was REALLY interested in Elvis, and particularly, to tour Graceland.# The tour was much more elaborate that it had been, and included his cars.# But it was complicated by the presence of 2 such cars, one white and one black.# Also, the Archive staff was not there on week-ends, and nobody else there could confirm the presence of that "loaner" OR its color.# So I Emailed my question, along with my explanation of why it mattered, which I have explained in this post.#

The reply arrived 3 or 4 days later, along with thanks for contacting him. And of course, the answer, which was the BLACK car.# And I have been invited to return, to revisit the ghost of my cousin Donald, now that I know where it might be found.#

I am NOT a musician, and therefor am not what the rest of you are.# I am merely an uninvited guest, and all of you seem to be a gathering of friends.#So I would like to thank all of you mentioned above, as well as everyone that has contributed pieces of the unknown Uncle and Cousin that are now part of my family heritage.#I will check back when I can, looking for anything else you find about MY Uncle Sam.
    --
    Dave Shiffman
    901-386-2251 home
    901-481-7295 cell

Quote Originally Posted by SamsNephew View Post
    I need to correct some earlier errors, and add some more details. Clarence Siegel died on 12/28/1947, when I was 8. He and my Mother had met several years earlier, and they did marry in London, earlier in 1939. He owned and operated Parker-Holladay company (advertising) with offices in Chicago, London, Paris, and Berlin. In 1928, Samuel had ended his touring career and become corporate secretary of the company in London. His son Donald (born 10/26/1912 in Chicago) attended and graduated from Cambridge. He had an uncle - Jack Saper, perhaps a brother of Samuel's wife #2, Anna Saperstein - working for a Hollywood studio that arranged an interview for him at Warner Bros. where he began his long and illustrious Hollywood career. Samuel returned to the USA about the same time, also to California. Samuel died in Los Angeles on January 14, 1948.

My parents remained in Europe through 1939, the year of their marriage and my birth, and returned to the USA in 1940, also to California. I have no memory whatsoever of meeting ANY member of the Siegel family other than my father, his daughter Anita from his first marriage, and my younger brother Edward. As mentioned above, Samuel worked in my father's business in London for several years after he stopped performing. Samuel died 17 days after Clarence, and I have no memory of him.

Samuel Siegel was the 4th child (and first son) of David and Rachel Siegel, both from Baden, Germany. Louis was the second son, followed by Ida and finally, my father, Clarence. Clarence was listed in records as a musician, but for only 2 years. He seems to have been very close to Samuel, and certainly learned his own musical skills from his older brother. The entire family seems to have been extremely industrious, and worked at various businesses, together and separately for most of their lives. Samuel married twice, and had 2 children with his second wife, Anna Saperstein of Chicago. A daughter I could not find, and Donald Siegel, who made quite a name for himself in Hollywood.

Donald Siegel married 3 times. He had a son, Christopher Donald Siegel, but after his mother divorced & remarried, he changed it to Kristoffer Tabori. Don and his second wife adopted 4 children - Nowell Siegel, Anney Mary Margaret Siegel, Katherine Dorothy Salvaderi, and Jack Siegel, then divorced. His third wife was Carol Rydall, who remained with him until his death. If I had done this research a few decades ago, I might have had a chance to meet him, because I lived in Los Angeles until 1962.

I'm new to this forum and especially this thread, having purchased a 121-year-old disk of "The Bonita Waltz" only yesterday at a rummage sale, and looking for information about Samuel Siegel. This forum has more information than any other site I so far found, the others mostly being only regurgitated Wiki content. But I am confused, in what appears to be an assimilated, but still traditional, Jewish family, a Christopher? Not that the family genealogy is my business, but even with intermarriage, strange, I find, to have a Christopher.