Thread: Modern Mandolin Quartet

Just got my copy, after seeing it featured on the Mandolin Cafe home page. Every mando home should have one, especially for the holidays, with the newly recorded version of the Nutcracker by Tchaikovsky on there......Mine arrived in a few days.......Matt Flinner has worked out incredibly well in the ensemble....I didn't know he studied composition in college, I just knew him from his New Acoustic CD's......as has Gyan Riley (Terry Riley's son)on mandocello & guitar. Original veteran members, Paul Binkley on dola as well as guitar & Dana Rath on mandolin, both contribute great playing as well as having arranging credits. Most of the arrangements are by Binkley.
    I was blown away by a version of Faure's Pavanne...the arrangement includes solos by Flinner and Riley.....making a modern update to the classic piece. If you love the sound of mando family instruments & guitars & even if you don't think you like classical music..... Buy this CD!!!!...... Bravo..... the MMQ lives on!!!!

YEA! I just got my copy too, and I wholeheartedly agree with Art's articulate review. It's great to see the MMQ still recording. A happy holiday CD for sure.
    Fiddles
    Arches F4 / Newson F5
    Crump B1 / Old Wave GOM

Faure's Pavane is probably my favorite piece EVER, and now MMQ's version is my favorite arrangement of it. You MUST get this CD!!!!!!!!!
    (Even if it makes you ill that you can't play that way....sniff, sniff!)
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life--music and cats" Albert Schweitzer