Thread: Group Notifications!!!

Default Group Notifications!!!

I think the group system in general on this board is flawed. Posts within threads on groups don't seem to yield notifications, even when you're subscribed to them (let me know if I'm doing something wrong), and members don't get notifications when someone starts a new thread within the group. This means that people often post something in a group and no one else will even see it for weeks or even months.

I think a better way of handling it would be to give a notification to all members of a group when any new thread is started within that group, and to have the normal board notifications for the group threads. It seems to make more sense to me anyway.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Group Notifications!!!

Is this the Social groups you're talking about? Are you subscribed by email or through your control panel? If by email, switch to by control panel. If you then start receiving notifications that tells us the email administrator on your end is blocking this forum mail as spam. We have over a thousand members subscribed, some to multiple groups and this is the first I've heard of no notifications sent. I looked at your email address and my hunch is that where these are being sent are likely being blocked as spam because I worked in this industry for close to 20 years doing IT work and have an idea how things work. Not taking shots at where you're getting your email, I've just seen this enough times to know some administrators take the easy way out.

As a network and e-mail administrator I always take the easy way out when filtering Spam.

The best part is when someone requests that I open up the filter for some non-work related e-mail. This is why they make Gmail.

Yes, the social groups. I'm subscribed through my control panel; I visit the forums far more than I do my email. I mainly use the Quick Links>Subscribed Threads for updates as that is the place I have found to be the most useful, but nothing from groups seems to show up there. Also, my assertion that group members should get a notification for every new thread started within the group stands, as I don't think things are currently set up this way.

How does one set up subscriptions in the Control Panel?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Sheehy View Post
    Yes, good question. I subscribe to several groups (and even maintain a few).
    I have never received any e-mail notifications regarding posting to groups, but I do get an e-mail whenever I receive a private message (a nice feature, BTW).
    I have grown use to just using the 'last activity' date/time that appears in the group description as a guideline as to whether or not I should check a group for new material since my last visit.
    I'd love to be notified about new activity is that's possible.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Sheehy View Post
    I just figured it out!

* Go to a group.
    * Click on the "group Tools" button in the top right corner of the group page.
    * Select 'subscribe to this group'
    * Choose notification type (through control panel, daily e-mail updates, weekly e-mail updates)
    * Click 'add subscription'

Now that I see how this works, I see how one can join a group without necessarily subscribing to it. That's actually a nice feature. I hadn't realized there was a differentiation. Thanks for the post above Scott.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachia View Post
    Yes, the social groups. I'm subscribed through my control panel; I visit the forums far more than I do my email. I mainly use the Quick Links>Subscribed Threads for updates as that is the place I have found to be the most useful, but nothing from groups seems to show up there. Also, my assertion that group members should get a notification for every new thread started within the group stands, as I don't think things are currently set up this way.
    To subscribe to a Social Group you do that through the individual group page and select how often you want to be emailed or notified. Believe Ed has described this correctly above. Not aware of any other way to subscribe to Social Groups. Screen shot here for one of the groups showing that selection process.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	subs.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	127.5 KB 
ID:	82613  
    Last edited by Scott Tichenor; Feb-17-2012 at 4:34pm.

Thanks, I missed that. Now to see how it works for me.

I'm still getting nothing. I have to go to the actual group page to see what threads have bean updated or created. Once again, I don't use email notifications; I subscribe through my control panel only. Is there a particular place where group notifications show up? It would be great if my subscribed group's threads showed up in the Quick Links>Subscribed Threads section (perhaps under another tab on that page), or had there own central place like this where I could see all of them at once, and not have to go to each page individually. Please let me know if I'm still missing something.

Blog Entries

Updates to your subscriptions should show up in your Settings link at the top right of every forum page. If you're not seeing anything that means you aren't subscribed (you have to Save your subscription choice). I just made a post in a group with a test user account in one of the groups and there was an immediate update notice available. What group/s are you subscribed to? I may need to login as you to see what's going on.

Ah yes, that's the place I was looking for. That area works for me, but why is it titled "Settings"? The section on that page entitled "General Settings" is what I would consider to be settings, but everything else on there I would not; that's why it never occurred to me to look there for this. A more apt name would be something like "Command Center", "At a Glance", or "Essentials"; it would make it a lot clearer that that page contains more than just settings — just a suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachia View Post
    …The section on that page entitled "General Settings"…
    Oops, I meant "My Settings", not "General Settings".