Thread: Electrics for under $500.00 ?

Default Electrics for under $500.00 ?

What are the best options for acoustic/ electrics on a budget of $500.00 or less?
    Weber Sweet Pea
    Morgan Monroe MMS5W
    Gibson 1914 F4
    Gibson 1921 H2
    Saga AM-10 Work In Progress

I try to play every day.
    http://iversmandolinorchestra.blogspot.com/

Default Re: Electrics for under $500.00 ?

I have an Epiphone mandobird 4, works fine for me. I think they go for around $200.00. Came with a padded gig bag.

For solidbody electrics, agree with either the Mandobird or Goldtone's offering. For A/E I'd recommend a used Godin A-8. They sound great plugged in, and surprisingly good unplugged, though not quite as good as a typical carved top F-hole. They're also really pretty well made. Otherwise, look at Michael Kelley and Fender's offerings (FM 62-sce). Neither are spectacular mandolins in and of themselves, but are very servicable A/E mandos. There are also a couple of Morgan Monroe models under 500 that work well. Depending on your setup, though, all of these may require some pre-amping...
    Chuck

Destroyer of Mandolins

That pretty much lists the current options with the addition of the Celebrity version of the Ovation. There's also an Applause version, but the Celebrity is a lot more instrument while still in that price range.

As you hunt around you're bound to see an A style mandolin that usually sells for around $150-$200 with a magnetic pickup and volume/tone knobs sticking out of the top. It comes in a bunch of colors and is made by either Saga or Samick (or both) and can bear any number of labels including Fender and Epiphone. You'll know it as soon as you see it; it's everywhere. That one is not highly recommended. Here's an example that happens to say Ibanez on the headstock:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-...ctric-mandolin
    Last edited by Tim2723; Feb-22-2012 at 8:57am.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Solid body you could include the Eastwood mandocaster.
    If you want AE I would save a couple more pennies (or see what's around 2nd hand) for an Epiphone mm50-E, or if that is beyond your budget, condsider a new Fender Rob Schmidt sig. model mandolin. Kind of depends on whether you're after something to DI and sound like a mandolin, or to plug into an amp for the magnetic pickup tone.
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

I'd look for the solid top ovation over the lam top celebrity or applause

Destroyer of Mandolins

So would I, but getting one for the budget is going to be tough. Even now they go for $600-$800 used and keep going up. The new model is an import and the US product is just going to get more and more costly.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

An IV kit and a shadow piezo bridge for $250 unassembled. You could put a quality magnetic pickup on for another $70.

Here you go... within your budget second hand or there's this new one.
    probably one of your best options.
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

I have a Kentucky KM300E that I like pretty much it's my only electric now. I had a Flatiron F5 that I had installed a pickup on but never was satisfied with the sound...always needed a pre-amp and effects just to be playable. Anyway I got the KM300E from MandoWorks, but I've also seen em around online and locally in shops http://www.mandoworks.com/electric-mandolins.html

I just got one of these : www.fender.com/news/index.php?display_article=844[/URL and have been surprisingly happy with it. Also, it has a "cool" factor that I like

I have another suggestion which may or may not work for you: StewMac has electric bridges and they're easy to install yourself. The only problem is there's no tone/volume control on the instrument, but that's easily handled with a preamp...

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electron..._Mandolin.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Milne View Post
    Here you go... within your budget second hand or there's this new one.
    probably one of your best options.
    Yes! thanks I was watching this one.
    Weber Sweet Pea
    Morgan Monroe MMS5W
    Gibson 1914 F4
    Gibson 1921 H2

I try to play every day.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I've settled on a MORGAN MONROE MM-100 SB/E ELECTRIC. Yes...It's Chinese, but I have had good playing time on other Morgan Monroe models, and think I can set this one up and tweek it a bit to play well. It's a gift for my Father who needs to play through an amp, and has been playing a very inexpensive Fender I bought him a few years ago when I talked him out of installing a pick up on a 1914 F4. So this will be a step up from the Fender, and will keep the F4 acoustic only. Thanks again for the suggestions.
    Weber Sweet Pea
    Morgan Monroe MMS5W
    Gibson 1914 F4
    Gibson 1921 H2

I try to play every day.

The MM-100 SBE will be real close in playability to your MMS-5. The MMS-5 will have better tone acoustically (all solid vs laminated), but the MM-100 SBE does fine amped up. You may run into an extra step with the setup. Usually the bridges do not have enough adjustment range on the MM-100SBE, and need some wood removed. Take this off the foot portion. The bridge saddle is two pieces with the pickup in a router channel. This makes it more prone to sagging and if you thin the saddle any more, it can weaken it further.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Quote Originally Posted by Folkmusician.com View Post
    The MM-100 SBE will be real close in playability to your MMS-5. The MMS-5 will have better tone acoustically (all solid vs laminated), but the MM-100 SBE does fine amped up. You may run into an extra step with the setup. Usually the bridges do not have enough adjustment range on the MM-100SBE, and need some wood removed. Take this off the foot portion. The bridge saddle is two pieces with the pickup in a router channel. This makes it more prone to sagging and if you thin the saddle any more, it can weaken it further.
    Hey thanks very much. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Weber Sweet Pea
    Morgan Monroe MMS5W
    Gibson 1914 F4
    Gibson 1921 H2

I try to play every day.