Thread: 'Tis the season

Without much preface, and with mando-content in mind, what do you hope to accomplish, mando-wise, these holidays? Perhaps one's wishes may become another's inspiration.

To take the plunge first: Still by momentum from Carlo A's workshop, I hope to get together with at least two mando-colleagues, one at a time. Reality (yes, The Nasty Thing) happens to be that one is self-employed (and therefore self-enslaved), and the other a contractor to arguably New York's most popular holiday show. *sigh* Yet hope springs eternal...

I plan to finish a little mando-something I promised a German publisher last fall; I also hope to get back to my research-made-sounding-music project of last year, the Sinfonie-Overture of Mántzaros. Not to mention that, gosh, I'd like to actually start something new, as opposed to always running behind some long-belated, perpetually incomplete project.

And, oh... I also plan to reduce the (still enormous) ignorance-quotient in my playing.
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Yes, I have similar aspirations, certainly in terms of playing some duets. In fact Victor and I may actually fulfill at least one mutual aspiration soon (fingers crossed).

I want to get up to playing speed some of these Calace and Pettine solo pieces that I have been working on. One is Christmas Song by Pettine, which i would like to have ready for performance by next Christmas.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

from a newb I would like to improve my left hand stretch and posture and left and right hand accuracy and technique. I would also like to be able to read the music being played in time with the performers. Any suggestions how to do that? MERRY CHRISTMAS!! John
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

I need to start working on new MO music and woodshed technique on mandocello. I just got a Trinity College mandola to play fiddle tunes on and a friend is going to teach me tunes by ear--I've been reading music for 30+ years--I'm scared!
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life--music and cats" Albert Schweitzer

I plan to edit a recording session of 2 years ago (!) for my alleged CD of contemporary American mandolin music. And maybe do some composing. Am also updating my website and have already posted a new exhibit of Mandobabes.

You better watch out, Neil (sung to the familiar tune)... The FCC's decency laws can't be too far behind you. Sports Illustrated just published an article of a man who, while going through his video log rather belatedly, was gravely incensed by the opening Olympic ceremony, wherein a man's bare torso was in plain view.

I sure hope the alleged CD materializes— if, that is, you are not already incarcerated for above infractions against public morals.

For Xmas, I'm making slight alterations to my rh technique (basically a little more arch to the wrist) + refine my sight-reading of alto clef on mandola + learn some new solo pieces suitable for next year's CMSA competition, among which possibilities include one or more movements of Neil Gladd's sonata. Of course this assumes I can tear myself away from "Mandobabes" long enough.
    Robert A. Margo

Quote Originally Posted by (ngladd @ Dec. 14 2004, 12:04)
    I plan to edit a recording session of 2 years ago (!) for my alleged CD of contemporary American mandolin music.
    Might this include Mr. Gladd's fine Sonata II?

I must say, Neil, that your taste in antique Turkoman carpets is the equal of your persuasiveness in cajoling your young women into displaying their mandolins and other resources. An enviable avocation indeed.

As for me, it's back to Bach, et al, in hopes of eventually approaching a level of (in)competence that will excuse and begin to justify my assemblage of fine mandolins, all of which play better than I do.

Is it just me or does the mandobabe in the pink dress look like Gene Wilder? My goal for the new year is to explore some of the new music I've recently acquired, focus in on a few pieces to learn and polish, and find/make opportunities to perform--all that AND acquaint myself with alto clef.
    -Linda
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Ha, ha... indeed! Actually, many of the ladies depicted seem to have had a few drops of belladonna dropped in their eyes, hence the glazed, "poetic" gaze into nowhere. Ah, the price of beauty...

Alto clef, eh? Does that —I might reasonably surmise—#imply that a mandola has come into your life?

As for me, I am one step closer to realizing some of the above goals: A. had a good day cleaning up an incomplete score yesterday, B. it seems that Brother James and I may in fact be getting together soon.

Onwards!

My favorite of the "babes" is the one who is seemingly wearing a 12-string mandolin on her head.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

--and here I thought it was a challenge to hold it in my lap. I'm assuming she has a little shelf-liner underneath it...
    Yes, I have a mandola now too because I could still see parts of the floor between the instrument cases. In truth, I sought out a Vega cylinderback mandola for quite awhile after borrowing one "for fun" and enjoying it so much. After playing some Bach cello suites I was hooked. After some instrument counseling sessions with Dr.Jim I bought one last June. My new bowlback is getting all the attention right now as I get to know it but I can hear that C string rumbling "don't forget me". A stack of my daughter's viola music is sitting right next to it. I just need to put the two together... I think I just talked myself into turning off the computer.
    -L.

Ah, Linda... MY daughter has made sure not one square millimeter of floor-space is visible through her toys and sundry artifacts.

Add to this a bass, a 7-ft. grand and several plucked creatures, and the real estate gets reeeeeeeeeeeeeally tight.

Victor, if I don't get arrested for the mandobabes, I'll probably get arrested for my current composition project: A post-election song cycle to texts by Bertold Brecht. I can't discuss it here, though, as there are no mandolins involved and politics are verboten at the cafe.

Eugene: Yes, I recorded my Sonata II early last year, but there are so many takes I am intimidated at having to listen to them all. #And I'm not sure I'll be happy with the outcome. #I may have a VERY expensive demo, and have to record it again for the CD. #I also recorded my Campion Songs and Elizabeth Vercoe's Herstory IV. That's a half hour of music, so far.

Linda, now that you mention it, she could be Gene Wilder's sister. #She had reminded me of a certain Seinfeld episode, because of the puffy sleeves.

Robert, nice to see that you're studying my Sonata! #It's been played by other soloists around the world, but as far as I know, I'm still the only American to have performed it. That's another piece on my lost LP master, but I was unhappy with that performance, anyway, and wanted to redo it. In the 3rd movement, don't fall into the trap of stretching the 11/16 measures into 3/4! Everyone does that! It should sound like 3/4 with a sixteenth note missing!

hello all........mmmmmm.....mandolin aspirations across Christmas....to finish learning Bach's Sonata in Am, to finish learning 11th prelude (Calace) and get to end at decent speed without arm falling off, to finish about 17 publishing projects and to finish memorising Calace's 2nd Concerto (1st mvt).......but then again I might just eat and drink alot......

Now that the semester is over, it is time for me to turn my focus from teaching theory and composition to conservatory students to practicing what I teach. I may first spend a few days achieving a Zen-like meditative state.

In addition to other non-mando related compositions, I'll be working on another large scale solo mandolin piece for a performance this coming April and fulfilling a commission for a trio for bass clarinet, trumpet and mandolin.

I'll also be rehearsing for the April performance I mentioned above.

Then, in my copious free time...