Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Survival Mandolin Chords for Beginners

Default Re: Survival Mandolin Chords for Beginners

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Booth View Post
    Organizing chords into keys can certainly be very useful, and I appreciate the effort out in to making the chart. I would like to point out that there is some questionable theory scattered amongst the thread. The thing that bothers me the most is labeling the vi chord as VI MINOR. My experience has been entirely that major chords are referred to by upper case roman numerals and minor chords by lower case.
    I have advocated this practice and was encouraged by concurrence from the late Prof. John McGann, but alas, it is not standardized. In fact, you do see VI minor (along with II minor and III minor) all the time.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

2. The following members say thank you to Jim Broyles for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Broyles View Post
    I have advocated this practice and was encouraged by concurrence from the late Prof. John McGann, but alas, it is not standardized. In fact, you do see VI minor (along with II minor and III minor) all the time.
    IIRC, all upper case is the way it was done in Ohmsen's Music Theory for Modern Mandolinists book, and the discussion was less clear than it could have been because of it, although it's still a great resource despite this. The upper/lower case convention for major/minor helps minimize confusion for me, and I hope it becomes more universally used.

4. The following members say thank you to pickloser for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RootsMusicVirginia View Post
    sing blue would work wonderfully for us, and presumably as well for those with "normal" color vision.
    But probably not for those who print it out in black and white.

Blog Entries

Hi phil thanks so much for this list!

Playing:
    Jbovier a5 2013;
    Crafter M70E acoustic mandolin
    Jbovier F5 mandola 2016

Thanks Phil for your efforts. Coming from a guitar background trying to learn new patterns is a bit intimidating. But your work here will make my learning a little less daunting.

Cheers from a newbie,

Steve

Thanks, very useful indeed! I prefer the first version, but both are there.

Blog Entries

Hi Styx and all - I have to praise Phil's efforts yet again. Have started using that list and it is really helpful. Started to use e minor and f sharp minor also e major. Wonderful.
    Along with the cross picking I have now mastered quite a few extra songs to jam along with.

My first jam is the 16th of March and I am a bit apprehensive - but sure all will come up roses - or should that read grace notes?

<big smile>

Happy strumming and picking to all

Vanilla

Playing:
    Jbovier a5 2013;
    Crafter M70E acoustic mandolin
    Jbovier F5 mandola 2016

MandoNewbie Misty Stanley-Jones's Avatar

Bumping this really useful thread, which I found via Google!
    --
    Playing since August 2013
    2014 Gibson Goldrush (David Harvey's photos)
    Greg Dunn A5 #1 (RayDoris)

11. The following members say thank you to Misty Stanley-Jones for this post:

Misty,
    A paperless way I used to quickly get the I, IV, V in the common circle jammer's keys, is to think of the thumb as the root, and alphabetically go to the fourth(ring) and fifth(pinky) finger. Disregarding flats & sharps, obviously.
    i.e. D=thumb, G=ring(finger), E=pinky.
    Or G= thumb, C=ring, D=pinky.
    (Remembering the last note letter is G, so it goes back to A)
    C=thumb, F=ring, G=pinky.

Thanks very much indeed Phil! I have one tip that you should share with the overwhelmed folks:

With any chord shape, moving it down (towards the body) one string makes the fourth, and moving it up makes the fifth! That has simplified things a lot for me.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marc Ferry For This Useful Post:

Thanks for this chart, it's a great help for duffers like me, with a guitar background. I have a question concerning the root of a chord, (I understand the root is #1). How is the root determined when making a chord, for instance G, if you note the -G- at 3rd fret, 1st string, and the 4th string is open -G-, (tuned to -G-)? Which -G- is the root?

Moderator: If this is not in the right section, please move it.

Thanks,

Joe

Professional Cat Herder Phil Vinyard's Avatar

You have to think of it more as the chord pattern (or "grip" as Don Stiernberg calls it) telling you where the root is. Looking at the grip for the basic G chord on the chart: the root is there in the middle as fifth fret on the D string. So that grip also works as far down the neck as you can go (works as a good E major by using the first two frets) and as far up the neck as sounds good (I rarely take it past the G major chord using the 4th & 5th frets). The grip I suggest for the A major chord has the root in the G string. So you can move that back a fret and get an A-flat major, and move it up the scale on the G string up to about at C major. And the root for the grip I use for the D major chord is on the D string. I typically use it up to an E major chord.

So the idea is to keep the chords all in about the same pitch range by switching between the three main grips (advice I first learned from our fearless leader, Mr. Tichenor). That's where the Bill Monroe universal chord fails us--one chord can lie fairly low in the mandolin's pitch range, the next quite high, and the overall sound is a little wonky.

And, as was pointed out earlier, in a pinch you can take any of the grips and move them over a string and get a chord that's a 5th higher. Thus, using the A major grip as shown, move it over to the D-A-E strings and you get an E major chord.

The roots of the chords are shown in red on the chart. If you know the notes on your fret board, you can work out the best grip for the chord you're trying for.

If that doesn't answer your question--PM me and I'll explain further! The chart is a culmination of things I've learned over the years (heavily influenced by Don Stiernberg and Radim Zenkl) and is meant to be a quick first reference for beginners.
    Phil Vinyard
    Gibson Jam Master F Standard #12 May 13, 2009
    Gibson Model A #67336 ca. 1921
    Harwood Bowlback ca. 1900
    Trinity College TM-325 Octave Mandolin
    Freshwater Mandocello
    Krutz 200 Upright Bass

17. The following members say thank you to Phil Vinyard for this post:

Thanks Phil! Always love a different view (especially when I'm stuck). Extra tools are always appreciated.

My daughter is struggling with her guitar playing and this might remove a stumbling stone or two.

thanks phil vinyard

on the road to find out.. bargemule's Avatar

I'll take all the help I can get. Thanks Phil.
    Are you gonna polish that thing or play it?

Eastman MD 315
    Larrivée OM-03R
    Simon & Patrick Pro Rosewood dread
    Fender Tele California Series w/b-bender

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Cox View Post
    Thanks Phil! Always love a different view (especially when I'm stuck). Extra tools are always appreciated.

My daughter is struggling with her guitar playing and this might remove a stumbling stone or two.
    Obviously I don't know what her sticking point is, but if it is chord related on the guitar I would suggest picking up a book or video that covers the CAGED system, I know that learning it de-mystified a lot of stuff for me.

To the OP, thanks for this great chart.

great! thank you very much!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vinyard View Post
    I appreciate all the good feedback! Here's what I've done:

1. The M convention for Major came from QwikChord3. I just edited that and spelled it out, and then redrew the chords (attached).

2. I stuck to the I, IV, V, minor VI and flat VII because that seemed to cover the VAST majority of the chords we play in the jams I frequent. Here in Central Missouri, we tend to play more old time rather than pure bluegrass, so these chords fit well. Because of space & simplicity reasons I considered leaving out the flat VII, but that is such an important idiom in bluegrass that shows up even in simple songs (Old Joe Clark comes to mind) I thought it worth including.

3. I learned about 3-string chords from Radim Zenkl one year at Kaufman Kamp and dropped using a Monroe 4-string pattern and switched to these myself. I can get a good, woody chop out of them just fine. And I think they sound better together since they tend to lie in the same tessitura.

4. And, again, these chords are for survival. As you get better, you need to learn to add more chords, inversions, sevenths, etc. But with this set you could hold your own in most jams.

Anyway, please try them out and send more feedback if you have any. I'm going to try them out with my beginning jam class on Wednesday & these folks may also give me a few suggestions.

MandoNewbie Misty Stanley-Jones's Avatar

If you play a major chord in the G chop chord shape (with or without pinky) if you slide your lowest finger (your index finger,) toward the headstock) one fret lower, you get the minor of the same letter name. That finger is playing the third of the chord.
    --
    Playing since August 2013
    2014 Gibson Goldrush (David Harvey's photos)
    Greg Dunn A5 #1 (RayDoris)

I like the chart, I think it is would be a great reference for students, and is better thought out than many similar charts I have seen. Some books seem to have chord charts where someone just randomly grabbed a bunch of mandolin chords and jumbled them together into a chart just to be able to say the book has a chord chart. There often seems to be little concern for how the chords would work together, or the what chords would be most useful to someone just starting out.

I have a slightly different approach than the OP that I like to use to with beginning mandolin players, or even intermediate players who are either having trouble with the standard chop chords, or are just having trouble playing in odd, less common, keys.

I teach basically one shape

| | |
    I | |
    | | |
    | R |
    | | L
    | | |

It can be played with the little finger on the E string,

| | | |
    I I | |
    | | | |
    | | R |
    | | | L
    | | | |

or on the A string,

| | | x
    I | | |
    | | | |
    | R | |
    | | L |
    | | | |

but at it's core it is still the same shape.

The show them how to tweak it to make the 7th and minor variations,

Minor Variation

| | |
    I | |
    | M |
    | | |
    | | L
    | | |

7th Variation

| | |
    I | |
    | | M
    | R |
    | | |
    | | |

Then I show them two 1-4-5 grouping and how to move them up and down the neck.

Key of A

A (I) D (IV) E (V)

| | | |
    I I | | 2
    | | | |
    | | R | 4
    | | | L 5
    | | | |

| | | x
    I | | | 2
    | | | |
    | R | | 4
    | | L | 5
    | | | |

| | | x
    I | | | 4
    | | | |
    | R | | 6
    | | L | 7
    | | | |

So the 1-4-5 movement of the root note for this chord group would look like:

4 1
    | |
    5 |

(This bit make more sense when I can demonstrate on the mandolin the relationship between this group chords. I feel like I am doing a poor job explaining the relationship between the 1-4-5 chords here, which sucks because that is the part that makes this approach particularly useful. I may need to put together a proper chart and maybe even a video to explain this better.)

Key of E

E (I) A (IV) B (V)

| | | x
    I | | | 4
    | | | |
    | R | | 6
    | | L | 7
    | | | |

| | | |
    I I | | 2
    | | | |
    | | R | 4
    | | | L 5
    | | | |

| | | |
    I I | | 4
    | | | |
    | | R | 6
    | | | L 7
    | | | |

And the 1-4-5 movement of the root note for this chord group would look like:

| |
    1 5

Then as long as they either; have a chart similar to the one the OP has at the bottom right of the PDF, or memorize a few of the most common chords using this pattern and the chromatic scale, they can play any chord and in any key relatively easily.

This way they only have to remember basically one shape and two variations to that shape, and only two groupings of chords for any given key. As opposed to 5, by my count, different positions and 5 different groupings of chords for different keys in the OP's chart.

Now I do not include the 6m or the flat 7 chord usually when I introduce this stuff. At this point I am usually having the students stick to 1-4-5 songs. But adding in those chords to this approach does not really complicate things that much. There are no new chord shape to learn, the minor is just a slight variation of the base major chord shape. All you have to do is add the 6m two frets above the 5 chord and the flat 7 chord two frets below the 1 chord.

So now the root notes groupings look like this:

For the chord group based around the A

| |
    4 1
    | |
    5 |
    | |
    6m|

And then for the chord group based around the E

7 4
    | |
    1 5
    | |
    | 6m

I like doing it this way because it reduces the variety of chord shapes someone starting out need to learn, and it introduces the number system early and, I think at least, in a way that makes sense and makes the students life easier. It also keeps the root note of the chord in the same place for pretty much every chord.

Obviously this is a very limited system and it leaves out a ton of useful chord shapes. But the point of this is not to show all possible chords, but just to give the minimum necessary information to get someone going in a jam, or playing in new and different keys than they are used to.

Crikey, that would up way longer than intended. Hope somebody finds something in there useful.

I never thought I had that thin of fingers (and I'm a guy!), but I just picked up my mandolin (yay!) and I'm trying to get some of the basics down (GCDAE). With A and E, I can't seem to get my index finger to cover two pairs of strings. Any tips?

Sometimes for that A and E you can flatten the last bit of your finger(distal phalanges?), rather than fretting with the tip of the finger.

You can also focus on getting the inner 2 strings out the the G and D courses, rather than trying to get all 4 of the strings from the two courses. So, you would focus on getting the G string closer to D course and the D string closer to the G course to ring out clearly, and not worry too much if the outer strings are muted. It is not the ideal solution, but it might be a way to at least start getting those chords to work for you.

Thank you for sharing this with us! As a beginner I found it really useful.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Good job Phil....... that's what newbies need to "get started" . R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Registered User agirlandheryarn's Avatar

Thank you for this! I dropped by to get help with the 4-fingered G chord and I read every thread in this post. Thank you for the print out! It will help in my jamming class!