Thread: Instrument Insurance

Default Instrument Insurance

I'm sure this has been covered many times, but I am going to ask anyway. I am not a pro player, but I do play out sometimes. I have my Mandolins scheduled on a homeowner's policy now. I'm thinking of changing to Heritage, Clairon, etc. I am looking for advice/opinions about this so I can choose a company. Thanks

Default Re: Instrument Insurance

There was a thread about this not long ago you'll find useful reading, but the short answer is: if you have instruments of any value at all, and you ever take them anywhere other than your home, get Heritage. They specialize in insuring musical instruments and equipment (that's all they do) and they cover it anywhere under any circumstances. Homeowner's generally won't cover you outside your home.

Heritage's basic deal is an annual premium of $1 per $100 of value with a $250 minimum premium. So even if you've got less than $25,000 worth of stuff, $250 a year for total coverage is a pretty good way to go, n'est-ce pas?

(Obviously I don't represent the company so check all this out with them in case I've got any of it wrong, and I'm sure there are additional details, but that's the basics as I remember it from my policy.)

Yeah Heritage is what I use

Thanks, Wolfboy. I read the thread that you directed me to and I'm going to pursue a policy with Heritage and cancel the rider on my homeowner's policy.

I have Heritage and they're a very fair deal

I used Heritage for years, my premium falls into line with what Robin said. Never had to make a serious claim with them so I can't speak on that but I have heard they are very good.

One time a sound guy dropped a microphone on my Stephen Owsley Smith Octave Mando resulting in a crack on the instrument's top. I brought it to Bryan Gallop in Big Rapids, MI who liked the instrument so much that he fixed for it free. That was much easier than coming back on the sound company. I was never concerned about the money part of that unfortunate situation because I believe Heritage would have covered that. Like I could get Steve to make me another Octave, ha.
    Bill

I know two people who have made claims with Heritage and they were very satisfied. One was a broken neck on a Huber banjo (it slipped on the stand and fell sideways). I've never had a claim but they let me move instruments on and off the policy from my sales or trades with no hassle.
    Rick in Memphis

I switched to Heritage yesterday.