Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Diferencias

Thank you kindly, good Sir.

I must say, however, that I am quite baffled by your allusion to either Beethoven or the Milanese mandolin. Please bear with me: I am an ignorant man, you know... # You mean... ?

P.S. Good Heavens! Counting this one, 100 replies on this thread! And I thought I would only get half a dozen direct e-mails with names and addresses... What can I say? I cannot get over what a supportive community this is!

It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Well, that has more to do with myself you see, I am devoting all my free time on the four mandolin compositions by Ludwig van Beethoven and practising them on this three finger-plucked six single gut-strung Milanese type of a mandoline (of which we wrote about in the other thread). A lot of fun of course, but getting a new piece - your Suite for guitar and mandola - is just wonderful and a welcome change!

Greetings,

Alex

Well, dear friends, it has come to pass: After laying dormant for an entire decade, my little (Spanish) Suite will be premiered in its viola & guitar version this coming Saturday, March 6. The baby walks!

The usual heartbreak: Due to my (*&$&%^#&^$)@&*% schedule as a performer, I will not be able to attend the Suite's maiden voyage

I am posting this here —knowing full well that I am in essence hijacking my own thread— only to verify that none of you have already performed this in public since I sent out numerous copies. The performers naturally want to know whether they can call this a world premiere.

Victor!
    Where is this premier? And who is performing it?

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

The performance is this coming Saturday evening, 7:30 p.m.. The performers are violist Brett Deubner and guitarist Chris Kenniff— both excellent, EXCELLENT players! The venue is in New Jersey but, distraught as I was to realize that I will not be able to make it, I "blanked out" when Brett told me. I could find out...

I, on the other hand, have a major performance of works by Valentin Bibik and Leonid Hrabovsky with Continuum, a group I have been with since 1989, one of this country's premier new music groups, by Lincoln Center. And, with my luck, same day, same time...

Still Picking and Sawing Jack Roberts's Avatar

Thank you, Victor, for sending me Diferencias. It is perfect for the timbre of the mandolin. I love the piece already.

Jack
    Ha, ha! keep time: how sour sweet music is,
    When time is broke and no proportion kept!
    --William Shakespeare

You are welcome; and, thank you, Jack!

I realize that, as per the "trills" thread, you are taking this up after The Great J.S. *gulp* Tough act to follow, for ANY composer! But I console myself with the usual "apples vs. oranges" analogy.

Enjoy!

Victor

Hello all interested,

We had to change - due to the fact that last month the data transfer limit at the CONSORT Website was almost exceeded - the link to the recording of Victor´s Diferencias, as played by Sebastiaan.

Click here to hear the Diferencias

and

here to view the old film where Sebastiaan is playing the 2nd Prelude by Calace.

Greetings,

Alex.