Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stores with mandolins in New England

Default stores with mandolins in New England

I've never played mandolin before getting one off Musician's Friend and it's a $50 mandolin so assume you know what it plays like with factory set up (I'm ok with it), I've checked a few music stores but haven't seen more than 2 mandolins combined at them so I'm wondering if someone in the MA/RI/CT area has any tips on shops to check out so I can get my hands on a decent mandolin to see what all the fuss is about
    --
    Fender FM-52E (2003)
    Rogue RM-100A (2009)
    The Loar LM-400 w/ Cumberland Acoustics Bridge (05/2010)
    unknown project fake resonator from the 30s-40s.

Default Re: stores with mandolins in New England

do a search here on the cafe and you will find a few. one of our sponsors is in Lexington. they have all types and price ranges. if you are in providence it is not that far. they are right on mass ave.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Music Emporium, Lexington Mass
    http://www.themusicemporium.com/

They're a great guitar+mando shop- big inventory of new+used instruments and in-depth repair capability + experience.
    They typically have mando's from $200 up thru $20,000
    I live in Ohio but bought my last one from them. I was out in Boston for work and they had what I wanted in stock + agreed to a decent deal.

But ... and this has been said before ... the BEST return-on-investment could well be a $60 setup on your current instrument. It will surely play a whole lot easier and be a lot more fun. A setup won't change the basic tone quality of the instrument in any huge way, but if the bridge is located wrong and/or the nut isn't right, leading to the intonation being off now ... well then in that case it'll sound a world better too, in addition to being a breeze + a joy to play. It's worth bringing it along if you go up there. You can compare side by side yours what you're playing there, and they can tell you in minutes what you can expect from a setup on yours.
    Last edited by chriss; Feb-28-2012 at 12:03pm.
    1976 Ibanez 511
    Weber Bighorn 2-pointer, and Sweet Pea traveller
    1960's Kay tenor banjo restrung to Irish tenor
    Trinity College octave
    ... and trombones, but that's different

Music Emporium is presumably the one to which Mary refers. Stu Cohen has a good selection, more toward the high end, and surely knows his stuff about instruments.

Don't know what there is in Providence; my kid was in school there for four years, but the only music shopping I did was buying a clip-on tuner at a store in the big downtown mall.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

The Music Emporium is in Lexington.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

That is really all there is in our area. You can find a Fender or an Epiphones at many guitar shops. (National in Woburn Ma. has one of each, I found the Epiphone very playable for the short $ they want)
    there is one mando in North Reading, an older used Kentucky I think, F-style with pickup if I recall, I kind of liked it, he wanted $450 or so. I liked the guy and his shop. I didn't like much of what The Emporium had in my price range (1k-1400$) and I didn't like any of the $500 range (I probably would have if that was my price range) but he has since recieved an Arches FT oval that I wish I could have tried before I bought my Breedlove. (not that I am unhappy with the Breedlove, I am very happy, just wish I had that option.) If you go to Lexington give youself several hours they have some amazing instruments. Stu is a nice guy and they are gracious about letting you play around with things.
    We are pretty lucky to have the Emporium so close though, comparatively speaking.

You could probably find a luthier to do a setup on the Rogue. I have one who lives down the street from me and he set up my Rogue for $60; it's another option if you're not up to a road trip or don't have the money for an upgrade right away.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Wakefield should have a few to look at. http://www.wakefieldmusic.com/Folk_Instruments.htm

AcousticMusic.org in Guilford, CT has a good selection of mandolins and they are quite knowledgeable. Not right near you but you did say New England.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Northampton and Amherst both have acoustic stores with a good instrument selection including mandos. Amherst's is Fretted Instrument Workshop; http://www.frettedinstrumentworkshop.com/mandolins.html

I can't remember the other in Northampton, but Birdhouse looks promising for lower-to-midrange (Loar-KY-Eastman).
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

Brentrup Evangelist Larry S Sherman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In Northampton you are probably referring to Downtown Sounds. I've never checked out their mandolins.

I used to spend a lot of hours in Amherst at Fretted. In the past I bought my first F-5 and a National mando there.

In Easthampton there's a cool store called the Luthier's Co-op. They have some vintage Gibsons, a newer National RM-1, and more mandolins and funky archtop and vintage guitars. They do my repairs. They have some nice old Gretches there like the Beatles played.

It's worth a road trip to Brattleboro VT to Maple Leaf Music if you're interested in new instruments, especially Collings and Eastman. I bought my first new mandolin there.

I have NFI in any of the above.

Larry

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    AcousticMusic.org in Guilford, CT has a good selection of mandolins and they are quite knowledgeable. Not right near you but you did say New England.
    What I was gonna say. Also, they are on Route 1 right off I-95 in Guilford, CT, between exits 57 & 58. They might be more inclined toward the high end, but they do get instruments on consignment. Which is how I got my mandola. Make friends with them, tell them what you want, they will keep an eye out for you.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

I'd second Maple Leaf Music and Music Emporium as well. Also, slightly out of New England, is the Mandolin Brothers, in Staten Island, NY. An entire room of mandolins, and is where I got my Collings MT. Worth the pilgrimage.

I am beside myself. I have had an awful journey. I live in CT (yes the guys in Guilford really are very nice and helpful.) I bought one from a luthier in N. CA and it arrived with neck sheered off the body. I never got my money back from that "maker." But I will. Stay tuned on that. Then I blindly bought something on Reverb and it had a very odd little nub under the nut to accommodate the truss rod and it pressed into my hand such that I couldn't play. So I decided, let's get to a store and play a bunch.

I was visiting Arlington, MA for other reasons and did a quick search. I saw the name Music Emporium and thought it was the old mail order catalog out of Maryland that was popular in the 80s-90s. So I ignored it.

I was staying a couple of blocks up the hill off Mass Ave!

Of course now I am 2.5-3 hrs away and didn't put this together until after we realized they don't keep Sunday hours. But I drove by 3-4 times.

I grew up in NY. I miss 48th St. And the loss of Mandolin Bros kills. There is no where in the tri-state. I foolishly mentioned this to a guy at Sam Ash in Midtown who told me to go to Nashville and shop. It wasn't the suggestion but man the 'tude.

Quote Originally Posted by chriss View Post
    Music Emporium, Lexington Mass
    http://www.themusicemporium.com/

They're a great guitar+mando shop- big inventory of new+used instruments and in-depth repair capability + experience.
    They typically have mando's from $200 up thru $20,000
    I live in Ohio but bought my last one from them. I was out in Boston for work and they had what I wanted in stock + agreed to a decent deal.

But ... and this has been said before ... the BEST return-on-investment could well be a $60 setup on your current instrument. It will surely play a whole lot easier and be a lot more fun. A setup won't change the basic tone quality of the instrument in any huge way, but if the bridge is located wrong and/or the nut isn't right, leading to the intonation being off now ... well then in that case it'll sound a world better too, in addition to being a breeze + a joy to play. It's worth bringing it along if you go up there. You can compare side by side yours what you're playing there, and they can tell you in minutes what you can expect from a setup on yours.

Fiddler & Mandolin Player Dave Reiner's Avatar

I live 5 minutes away from the Music Emporium and can check out mandolins there if you need. It's a great store with very knowledgeable staff. However, they're closed for renovations through the end of the month (still open online, though).

Dave
    '04 Gibson F3, '04 Gibson A4, '06 Gibson F4, '26 Gibson F5, '27 Gibson F4, '87 Givens A6, 2017 Kimble A5

Author, Anthology of Fiddle Styles; Co-author, Oldtime Fiddling Across America
    Genial host, Fiddle Hell Online (coming up on April 11-14, 2024, with 220 concerts, jams, & workshops (incl many for mandolin) and free replays for 4 months)
    Join www.facebook.com/groups/fiddlehellmassachusetts
    Free jams on our YouTube channel YouTube.com/FiddleHell
    More info at fiddlehell.org

Quote Originally Posted by nightjars View Post
    I am beside myself. I have had an awful journey. I live in CT (yes the guys in Guilford really are very nice and helpful.) I bought one from a luthier in N. CA and it arrived with neck sheered off the body. I never got my money back from that "maker." But I will. Stay tuned on that. Then I blindly bought something on Reverb and it had a very odd little nub under the nut to accommodate the truss rod and it pressed into my hand such that I couldn't play. So I decided, let's get to a store and play a bunch.

I was visiting Arlington, MA for other reasons and did a quick search. I saw the name Music Emporium and thought it was the old mail order catalog out of Maryland that was popular in the 80s-90s. So I ignored it.

I was staying a couple of blocks up the hill off Mass Ave!

Of course now I am 2.5-3 hrs away and didn't put this together until after we realized they don't keep Sunday hours. But I drove by 3-4 times.

I grew up in NY. I miss 48th St. And the loss of Mandolin Bros kills. There is no where in the tri-state. I foolishly mentioned this to a guy at Sam Ash in Midtown who told me to go to Nashville and shop. It wasn't the suggestion but man the 'tude.
    I don’t understand what your comment means about Acoustic Music in Guilford. Did you go there?

RetroFret in Brooklyn is like Mandolin Brothers at least on the vintage side. Rudy’s Music in Scarsdale has and excellent selection of fretted instruments but the caveat is always that mandolins will always be the minority instrument compared to guitars. There is also Lark Street Music in Teaneck, NJ.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Strings & Things in Concord NH is an Eastman dealer, and usually stocks a few 300 & 500 series mandos.

Johnson Strings in Newton Upper Falls, MA is an Eastman dealer, and usually has some 300 & 500 series mandos.

And Music Emporium stocks mandolins that I can't afford.
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Yep, Music Emporium is New England's go-to.

And I just tried Googling vintage guitar stores new england. There are several visit-worthy shops. For instance, I like the look of this place: Fretted Instrument Workshop. If you scroll down, there are some tasty offerings.

And even though it's not in New England, here are some USA-made all-solid-wood mandos that sound great, look cool, and come in at well under a grand: www.bigmuddymandolin.com. They're not a bluegrasser choice, but if that doesn't matter to you, check 'em out.

Last but far from least, it can pay handsomely to browse the Mandolin Cafe classifieds regularly. Lots of good instruments come through here.
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    What I was gonna say. Also, they are on Route 1 right off I-95 in Guilford, CT, between exits 57 & 58. They might be more inclined toward the high end, but they do get instruments on consignment. Which is how I got my mandola. Make friends with them, tell them what you want, they will keep an eye out for you.
    The shop has relocated to Chester, CT.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Whoa! Wonder when that happened? Perhaps it was inevitable, as the shop side of the operation kind of diverged from the restoration side some time ago, and then George had some serious health issues, which put him way behind. (I hope he's OK, as he has not been responding to emails, and has had a few instruments in his shop which I've been hoping he's been able to repair.) Well, thanks for the heads-up.

Well, here's what they've got. Not a whole lot to choose from at the moment. I guess keep checking in now and then.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

The retail shop part of the business belongs to Tryp Wyeth, who moved the instrument sales to Chester, to a building he owns and also houses his architectural practice. George is still going the work for the shop, but Brain Wolfe is now retired.

Brian retired last December. The shop moved to Chester only recently.

Diamond Cove Music in Gloucester, Ma. has a decent selection of Eastman mandolins.
    Steve

23. The following members say thank you to Steve L for this post:

Blog Entries

11 years between post 13 and post 14. I missed that.

Just another thought that may help folks reading all of this. An additional option. Often a good music store with which you have had a good relationship is able to acquire mandolins not on display. What I mean is that if you have a jones for a particular mandolin but its not there in the store, it may be possible for them to get it for your perusal. Of course you have to be serious, no casual tire kicking. It never hurts to ask.

I have a place I like to go to, they have always been helpful, and twice now they have been able to acquire specific instruments for my in store test drive, with no requirement that I purchase. In both cases, yea I purchased. They know my addiction. (FYI the first one was a National resonator, and the second one was a Weber Gallatin Sopranino.)
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

25. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    11 years between post 13 and post 14. I missed that.
    Yikes!

Seems you're not the only one. How does an 11 year old thread get resurected?
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

How does an 11 year old thread get resurected?
    I don't know - seems to be happening a lot lately - especially in the "Looking For Information About Mandolins" Forum.
    Not sure if something changed on the IT side of things or if a lot of people simply aren't paying attention...

Kirk