Thread: Practice idea for those not-a-band bands

Registered User Justus True Waldron's Avatar

Default Practice idea for those not-a-band bands

This is probably kind of obvious to some of you, but I was thinking about the thread that was on here a while back about private jams/groups that practice but don't call themselves a band. I said that I had a similar situation with the group of guys I play with, and I still do. However, we were starting to grow kind of tired playing the same songs we knew... then it happened. I found one of those old 1950's Sure "Elvis Mics" in my attic... hooked it up to a tape player and some big old speakers for listening back... Then when we got together to jam I let it roll and we played a song, doing the one mic thing. Listened back. Did I really sound like that?? Worked on the arrangement, did it again... suddenly, the whole jam became more of a game to see if we could one up the last take. At the end of the night, we only did a couple songs, but we had them TIGHT, and could repeat it at the drop of the hat. And the whole thing was so simple it wasn't frustrating like recording can be, no setup time, and the whole thing felt like a game. We're hooked now and suddenly all the fun is coming back into our get together. I think this is a really neat exercise for any group of people looking for a more easy going jam type thing but with the opportunity to grow and learn. Doing this thing has forced us to listen better, play with dynamics, work on mic placement, and nail down arrangements. I'm loving it! Maybe this could be of aid to those looking for a similar situation
    - 2004 Macica A
    - 1952 Selmer Centered Tone
    - Eastwood electric mandola
    (and lots more)

Default Re: Practice idea for those not-a-band bands

Works for solo practicing, too, I find. I feel that my practicing has become a lot more focussed since I started recording myself and trying to get each piece up to something I can put on my Youtube channel without being embarrassed (well, not too much, anyway) by the end of the practice. Lately, I've switched to recording multi-track, and that helps a lot with timing. Trying to work up a specific piece during practice means that I don't become stale and pick listlessly at the same few tunes over and over again.

Martin

Sounds like you guys are having fun + making some nice gains - good for you!

I bought a lil Tascam DR-05 digital recorder a while back and use it for that sort of this as well, tho looks like you've figured out a nice homegrown solution that kept $100 in your pocket- nice. It IS great to be able to "sit in the audience of your own playing." You wonder how people got past these sticky spots before that. I guess that's one reason why there were fewer good musicians- I find really "hearing what it sounds like" while playing to be a REALLY elusive skill.

It's a recurring comment, that when somebody is feeling "plateau'd" in some way, and they find a way to listen to it, they pretty much always hear + find new things that are both productive + real rewarding.

do it!
    1976 Ibanez 511
    Weber Bighorn 2-pointer, and Sweet Pea traveller
    1960's Kay tenor banjo restrung to Irish tenor
    Trinity College octave
    ... and trombones, but that's different

garded

That's great you guys have found something to rekick start your group. I've found different things work for different jams. One jam was at one members house that was an incredible std. notation reader. So he would find these compelling new tunes that he could read through and give us the gist of. Normally we would have been intimidated, but because of his unassuming demeanor and being a natural teacher, (plus the fact that without the notation he was lost), made us feel like we all had our place at the jam. It soon became everybody's favorite jam. The best situation is where nobody wants to be left behind, as opposed to straight out competition. For the jams that become bands, it's all the sudden having a gig.

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Yeah, recording is the secret to improvement for any musical endeavor! The only drawback I found to this was the time it took to listen to playback and make a decision on what to do. You'll likely hear the standard timing and pitch (if vocal) things, but it's the arrangement piece that may take time away from actually playing.

When I was doing this I would listen to the recording at a later time and then send out my suggestions in a email with the file attached (MP3 works pretty) good.
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Justus True Waldron View Post
    I found one of those old 1950's Sure "Elvis Mics" in my attic...
    Shure 55SH per chance?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ev726_1.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	83155   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shure Mic.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	8.9 KB 
ID:	83156  
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

Registered User Justus True Waldron's Avatar

55s, yup. The one on the right.... it has an ancient chrome mic stand as well. Not the ribbon mic version that now commands some money (unfortunately), but it definitely has that "vintage" band in a can tone. :p It's worth more for the fun of singing into it than the sound that comes out of it!
    - 2004 Macica A
    - 1952 Selmer Centered Tone
    - Eastwood electric mandola
    (and lots more)

Blog Entries

If you have a multi-track set-up another take on this is to get the first version down focussing on melody, then play-back to everyone wearing cans and record the back-up. Then listen to the back-up without the melody. What does it sound like? Ok do it again and watch the improvement when you know you'll be listening to just the back-up. It really sharpens your back-up playing.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin