Thread: Django

Blog Entries

Wondering if everyone has heard of this new book that's a true biography of Django. I'm about 3/4 the way through and have enjoyed it. Hope to finish it this weekend. More information from Oxford University Press, the publisher.

Thanks Scott, I've been immersing myself in all things Django lately and this will definitely be a little icing on the cake!
    mandollusional Mike

Thanks for the info, Scott. Mine is on the way from amazon. I too have been really getting into Django lately. I know little about the man so I'm looking foward to getting this book.

I've got this book on reserve at the local library, I hope to get it shortly. I heard about it originally on this PBS radio show, On Point, that had an interview/discussion with the author. The show is archived and can be heard at...

http://www.onpointradio.org/shows/20...119_b_main.asp

Also, one of the callers to the show happens to be a mandolin player in a somewhat local band #-- Harmonious Wail from Madison, WI (I'm in Milwaukee). If you've got an hour, give it a listen.

Jim

I just was made aware of this book. #My wife showed me a book review in the current New Yorker. #I sent for it this morning Amazon has it for $18.

Another interesting look into the life and times of Django is the Stephane Grappelli Film released on DVD availabe from Ifshin Violin:

http://www.ifshinviolins.com/store....hejazzc

The film is a bio of Stephane with interviews, films of he and django...and historic footage of the times and performers. #Some great Django footage...and
    lotsa Stephane.

Jeff

Blog Entries

I have this DVD. Bought it probably a year or two ago. Good stuff. Interested in recycling (selling cheap) it if anyone would like it. I'll sell my Django book on amazon.com as soon as I finish it unless someone would like to grab them both. Make me an offer offline. I'm someone that doesn't keep a shelf full or books around. I recycle them at the local used bookstore, eBay or Amazon. Fuels my reading habit and I don't have to store books I'm probably never going to read again. Plus I have another book due to arrive today or tomorrow in the mail so I need to get busy.

The Delaunay book on Django is also very good. Seems there are two versions of it. It was originally written in French. The first time I read it the translation was pretty awful. The second go round someone must have translated it again because it was much improved.

The new Django book was extensively reviewed in a recent New Yorker Magazine. FWIW, Daedalus books carries some good remaindered music biographies and histories for very little money. I recently bought the bio of Emmett Miller and one of Bing Crosby, both for about $10. Joel Eckhaus

Anyone seen Woody Allen's "Sweet and Lowdown" with Sean Penn playing the superfocused guitarist? Great movie... and "Django" even appears in the flick.

Yep......SECOND best guitar player in the world.

The Django Bibliog was in my stocking at Christmas- a very interesting read for Djangophiles...

Anybody close to Durham, NC that has interest in this book- give me a PM & see what reading material we can trade...