Thread: Wedding repertoire

Default Wedding repertoire

Does anyone play wedding ceremonies? What pieces do you play. I would imagine Cannon in D, but what else? I have done this a couple of times and have the opportunity to do some more, and want to offer the best possible product! Thank you for any insight!

Default Re: Wedding repertoire

I have a friend, a flautist, who I played church music with for many years. She now makes her living playing weddings and putting together wedding music ensembles. What I learned from her is that no matter what your repertoire, the best tunes for any wedding are what the bride and her mother happen to want and that is a totally unpredictable variable. The key is to be able learn ANYTHING they throw at you quickly and play it well.

Carpe Mandolinium

Stock up on fake books.

== John ==
    == JOHN ==

Music washes away from the soul the dust of every day life.

--Berthold Auerbach

Avoid "Who's Sorry Now?", "D-I-V-O-R-C-E" and "Your Cheating' Heart" if you want to get further bookings.

We played at a friend's wedding and they waltzed down the aisle to Lover's Waltz: http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/...-Waltz/1737239

Truly one of my funnest playing memories.
    Bobby Bill

Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring, various waltzes, O'Carolan Tunes, Movie Themes, etc.

Thanks, Eddie. O'carolan and jesu are great ideas!

Movie Themes I had in mind are: The Lonely Shepherd (Kill Bill), Speak Softly Love (the Godfather), Somewhere My Love (Dr. Zhivago), The Gael (Last of the Mohicans)

From the Ducks Deluxe "Musician Jokes" website:

Dear Bandleader thank you for your letter. I really do think you have an attitude problem, and do want a few requests played if you don't mind. What me and my wife were thinking was:

-Any Keith Jarrett composition from his solo series. Please arrange for full ensemble and nothing in 4/4 please.

-Mahavishnu Orchestra,
    Dance of the Maya and please have the guitar player play John McLaughlin's solo from the live performance Nov. 16, 1972 at Chrysler Arena. My wife and I were at that show and particularly liked his use of polyrhythmics. If you find it too difficult you can leave out the feedback. Your choice.

-John Coltrane's duets with Pharaoh Sanders. I understand that their use of atonality is not everyone's cup of tea, but my guests are usually fond of high register tenor saxes.

-We thought a little Stravinsky would be nice. We particularly like the
    Rite of Spring. If you want to use the sheet music it's OK. My husband likes it about 1/4 note = 93 beats per minute.

-Then for the candle lighting ceremony, please learn Frank Zappa's
    The Great Wazoo. If you want to play it in the original B flat, that would be OK. And yes, cousin Jeannie does want to sing the baritone sax solo. Please don't say no, it would hurt her feelings so.

-Finally, we have built our own musical instruments (It's kind of a hobby with us) and we would appreciate if you would use our instruments. None of them are based upon a 12 tone scale or on common harmonics, but our 5-year-old son tells us it's not really that hard to transpose once you understand the physics.

We would be happy to pay each member an extra $25 for any inconvenience. Thank you and don't be late!

Does that help?
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM