Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone converted an old violin into mandolin?

Default Anyone converted an old violin into mandolin?

Though it will look a bit silly it would make a nice little mando wouldn't it? There are plently of antique inexpensive violins around. The woods are great, all solid and carved. Anyone tried?

Default Re: Anyone converted an old violin into mandolin?

I do recall seeing one, on Ebay a few years ago. But I would guess there is a reason why a violin is different in body shape compared to a mandolin. It would certainly be an interesting experiment, and well worth doing.

I suppose you could also do the opposite... Turn an old mandolin into a violin... They can often be found cheap too.
    Bart McNeil

Going from 4 nylon/gut strings to 8 steel strings? 4 times the tension?

Trying to cut fret slots into that radius?

I dunno.............
    Malcolm Grundy from Montreal

I was thinking of is using an old mando neck and violin body. I once came across a fretted violin, it looked a bit odd.

Bad idea.

It will sound like garbage unless you remove the soundpost, and if you do remove the soundpost, the top will collapse ... unless maybe you rebrace it. Which is a lot of work.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Narrow nut. Would need at least a second bar. A way to reduce down force. Maybe a 4 string mando would be fair. Violins are a bit small. Might well do better with a viola, unless you prefer to stick to musical instruments.
    Stephen Perry

Not on purpose . They are not the same instrument and would likely not hold together all that well. Violins are much lighter built and designed to do what they do. Mandolins are built quite a bit heavier and are designed to do what they do. Similar (though not much) certainly is not the same as identical.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Look Here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAhQn...7&feature=plcp
    There was also a thread which contained a better video on his first attempt.

Found it YAY!

Been there, done that -- even earlier: Violaline from the JTL shop (France)
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

Cool! Both instruments in the videos (or is it only one instrument?) seem to have 4 strings so they are not really mandolins by definition at least? I'd be inclined to call them fretted fiddles.

The sound is certainly interesting but it seemed a little "thin" to my ear (of course its a YouTube video) so I wonder if anything is gained by it -- in an instrument sense that is?

One thing is that violins produce a lot of volume compared to mandolins -- I wonder if that is the case with these instruments too. Hard to tell on a video but maybe this is that banjo killer everyone is looking for!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Howdy Vic,
    Search for fidolin in the post a pic forum on this site. They're 4 stringers with a replaced fingerboard.

benny

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    Cool! Both instruments in the videos (or is it only one instrument?) seem to have 4 strings so they are not really mandolins by definition at least? I'd be inclined to call them fretted fiddles.
    Sorry, Bernie... there are many other mandolins with less strings and also ones with different tuning that do fall into the definition. Check out this one. And what about 4 string electrics?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I doubt that a fiddle-based mandolin would be louder than a normal one. Fiddles are loud only when bowed, when you play them with a plectrum they are a tad lower than a mandolin.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Sorry, Bernie... there are many other mandolins with less strings and also ones with different tuning that do fall into the definition. Check out this one. And what about 4 string electrics?

Oh I agree people call all kinds of things "mandolin" including vegetable slicers!

But in my opinion mandolins (from the lute family originally?) should at least have courses of strings -- how many courses or how many strings per course varies.

Electric mandolins? Hey the Gibson ES-150 is clearly a mandolin -- but my Kentucky 300E? I'm really not sure what to call that (I do call it a mandolin most of the time because I don't have another name handy I suppose) but it seems to me more of an electric alto guitar (as in tenor guitar tuned up a 5th?).

Anyway, its not something I am overly concerned about I guess -- call'em what you wish and pick away.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Thank you guys

In Illinois, halfway between here and there.

Then again you can just flat pick the fiddle as it is, no modifications necessary. Great plunky sound. Benny Martin was a master at this.
    Peace

Infrequently Smelt Gregory Tidwell's Avatar

This thread reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask the board. Does anyone know what that thing Chris Thile was playing in the video for Here and Heaven? It looked like. Cross between a guitar and a violin. I think someone else was playing one as well in that video.

I'm thinking, viola da gamba.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg T. View Post
    Does anyone know what that thing Chris Thile was playing in the video for Here and Heaven? It looked like. Cross between a guitar and a violin.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    Electric mandolins? Hey the Gibson ES-150 is clearly a mandolin
    Sorry, Bernie... I think you mean EM-150.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Quote Originally Posted by BradKlein View Post
    I'm thinking, viola da gamba.
    Close but I think it may be a smaller member of the viol family maybe tenor, small tenor or alto.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thile_viol.jpg 
Views:	360 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	83605  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Sorry, Bernie... I think you mean EM-150.
    I do mean that -- but I'm really not "sorry"about a typo!
    Bernie
    ____

I think the "thinness" in sound comes more from the pick being used in that video I would think. It's sounds really nice though. I would say it would probably have more volume than a mandolin strung up with 4 strings unless the mandolin was carved to be a 4 string mandolin. It think it would fit in nicely in a classical setting or even jazz...and definitely if you are doing solo material.

And some lutes, though not the entire set of strings, do have single courses. I believe it is typically the last two? So I think that a mandolin can still be called a mandolin if it only has 4 strings......a 12 string guitar is still called a guitar right?

How I would do conversion:

1. Start with viola of roughly the same scale length as a mandolin.
    2. Remove the pegs and fit Perfection Pegs, with internal gearing
    3. Remove the top and fit twin matched tone bars or maybe some other system, reassemble.
    4. Fit a somewhat stronger bridge, possibly maple with an ebony or ivory top.
    5. Fit a bone or ivory nut, or at least put a slice of bone or ivory at the front
    6. If I felt like a weenie, stoop to putting frets in. Probably on a 12" radius, rather than the 42 mm violin radius

Not that big a deal, I don't think, but I'm probably a bad example because ripping the top off a fiddle and fitting bars isn't a big deal in my shop.
    Stephen Perry

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dfyngravity View Post
    I think the "thinness" in sound comes more from the pick being used in that video I would think. It's sounds really nice though. I would say it would probably have more volume than a mandolin strung up with 4 strings unless the mandolin was carved to be a 4 string mandolin. .....
    Nope. I bought that 'fiddolin' from Jake on a whim. Thin sound with any pick. And sadly, the instrument didn't hold up well. Top sinking has indeed made the instrument all but unplayable without the sound post. I have the post but haven't gotten around to putting it in to see what happens.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”