Thread: Loar 700 or Loar 600

Default Loar 700 or Loar 600

O.K. here is the deal, I fianaly come to the point where iam going with the Loar....Now can any one tell me what the difference is between the 700 & 600...is the 700 worth paying the extra cash...I have the cash to buy the 700 model but if its the same as the 600 I would like to save some cash.....I played the 600 and like it but have not played the 700 model.
    Ray Cantu

Default Re: Loar 700 or Loar 600

There is not a substantial difference. The 700 has no braces where the 600 has tone bars. The 700 has gold plated hardware and a Fern headstock inlay. The 600 has nickel hardware and a flowerpot inlay. They share the same case. The 700 may have a little bit prettier wood, but that does not make it play or sound better. Just be sure that whatever you chose you have it set up properly and I suggest the CA bridge installation. Either mandolin will be great and you will enjoy it!
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

What does the CA bridge to it.
    Ray Cantu

I looked at a loar 400 with a Cumberland bridge upgrade and instead got a Kentucky km900 with a nice case for not much more.

Can somebody explain the logic of not putting braces (at all?) on the higher-level model? Are these things going to hold up without them in the long term?
    PJ Doland
    1923 Gibson Snakehead A

Lots of post discussing these issues already.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Doland View Post
    Can somebody explain the logic of not putting braces (at all?) on the higher-level model? Are these things going to hold up without them in the long term?
    They are not braces, they are tone bars.

So with that being said "Tone Bars" I having the cash for the 700 or the 600 is the 700 worth $ the extra $300.00 to spend on it?
    Ray Cantu

Yes...and no. Both are good mandolins,but the answer can only be answered by you. They are equal quality, but will have a different appearance and a slightly different tone. If you like the gold and a bit more fancy then the 700 would be for you. If the nickel and a bit less fancy is ok, then get the 600. The 600 will have a bit more focused mid range tone for bluegrass. The 700 may have a bit broader tonal range with less mid range focus.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest