Thread: Clark Mandolins

Default Clark Mandolins

Who plays a Clark? What can you tell me? What have you heard?
    RB - (Wolfman Bob)
    Lawrence Smart - 2 Point
    Flatiron - F5 - Artist
    Gibson - F12
    Gibson - A-50
    Flatiron - Pancake
    Fender FM 60 E

Default Re: Clark Mandolins

I love my Clark two point. Austin is a complete pleasure to work with. Mine is on the older side and I can only beleive the ones after it only got better.

If you've got specific questions fire away. I'd be glad to answer.

I met Austin and played a few Clark's at Weiser a couple of years ago...I think Clark mandolins are good, responsive instruments...

I worked with Austin as an apprentice for a few months in 2009, an opportunity I still feel very lucky to have had. I've been able to play a lot of his instruments and I love every one of them, particularly the octave mandolins.
    I built a mandolin with him and play it all the time and everywhere. Its not exactly a Clark (though it says so on the headstock), but it sounds fantastic and loud, and while it isn't up to par with the ones he makes on his own, I've gotten many compliments on it at bluegrass jams across the country.
    When I'm ready to get an octave mandolin or a guitar I'll go right to Austin. He has such a fine eye for detail and is extremely knowledgeable about what he's doing, so much so he was able to teach an amateur such as myself.
    I'm also happy to answer any specific questions you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmanbob View Post
    I happen to be a very happy owner of 3 Clarks. An F-5 Mandolin, an Octave Mandolin, and a Cutaway Jazz Guitar. All three instruments are exquisite in terms of their sound, choice of woods, construction, and appearance! Working through the building of 3 instruments with Austin was a pleasure. He has a great sense of what a customers wants and has always delivered more than expected. Opening up the case of one's Clark for the first time is a mind altering experience. This is then followed by the pure joys of getting to a play Clark everyday. Sorry if I sound a little over the top, but Austin really does deserve this praise! As Austin would say. Cheers, Ken
    Ken

I am the owner of a Clark F5 (#27) that Austin built for me almost 4 years ago. The tone was phenomenal right out of the box, and has gotten even better over time. I play mostly old-time music, so Austin voiced it for that purpose. However, it still packs plenty of punch in a bluegrass setting. Fit and finish are superb.

This was my first (and so far, only) custom-built mandolin. Working with Austin through the building process was a very enjoyable and painless experience. He sent me tons of photos throughout the building process, and sought my input on many details. When I wasn't sure which way to go, I relied on his professional judgment and was not disappointed with any of his advice.

I've never played one but I'm seeing some good recommendations. They are visually striking as well. The thing is, without playing one it's hard to make a decision. I play bluegrass as well as swing. I need a loud instrument with a chop and good overall tone. Do you think he can supply that?
    RB - (Wolfman Bob)
    Lawrence Smart - 2 Point
    Flatiron - F5 - Artist
    Gibson - F12
    Gibson - A-50
    Flatiron - Pancake
    Fender FM 60 E

This is the only video that I found online of a Clark F-5. The lighting is awful but the audio is clear.

RB, what do you play now? It might help the group (and Austin for that matter) to understand your current instrument(s) and what you like and dislike about them?

I understand your concern about getting an instrument that you haven't played. I'm sure that Austin will work with you to to get the sound your looking for.
    Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

I have a 2 point and an Octave mandolin build by Austin. I had never played one prior to ordering, and have no regrets whatsoever. I liked the 2 point so much, I ordered the octave a year or so later. The tone is incredible and the workmanship is top notch (I spin bowls on a lathe, so know a bit about wood finish).

As stated previously, Austin is a complete joy to work with. He gave me more choices than I can remember, including choosing the maple back. I was nervous when I ordered the two point. Every step of the way, Austin presented options, pros and cons, and provided many photo updates of the build. When the mandolin arrived, my only regret was that I hadn't taken the whole day off of work. I played for a half hour or so, then went through major withdrawal that afternoon at work. It is a joy to play a Clark mandolin, and a pleasure to work with Austin.

FWIW, I play mainly blues, ragtime, folk and occasional bluegrass. Any flaws in the tone are entirely my own. If I can answer any questions regarding Austins mandolins, please let me know.

Stephen

I have been playing a Clark F5 Mandolin for about 2 years. I love playing it. It not only sounds great but is a very beautiful instrument. Everyone who has played it loves the tone and the burst of sound that fills the room. I took it to a mandolin camp last year and everyone who played it loved it. Play a Clark if you get the chance and you will see what I mean.

I have been working with Austin for a few years now. I have four in stock. In my opinion there are fantastic, very open and full tone, kind of feel like they've been played in already.

On the one occasion when there was a problem with with a customer's mandolin Austin was amazing. In nearly four decades in small business I have found I don't really know how good someone is until there's been a problem and I see how well its resolved. Austin was 110%.
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

Whatever combination of skill, know-how, experience, luck, connections, materials, and whatever that it takes to make a good sounding mandolin, it seems like Clark has gotten it together, in my experience.

I have played his stuff at Wintergrass a few times, and his mandos are always very decent. This year there were a few other builders in his room, and some elsewhere in the building, and it was clear that there was a wide range of instruments--from professional quality to wooden mandolin-shaped objects. Clark was and is at the pro-quality end of the continuum.

I was impressed enough to place an order for a blonde A. Finally.

I've met Austin a couple of times now at Wintergrass and if I didn't have my Gil I would have bought one of his...still might someday. I'll probably end up with one of Octaves as I really liked the one he had this year in Bellevue. Great guy to do business with.

Does anyone in the NY area have a Clark? I would like to play one.
    RB - (Wolfman Bob)
    Lawrence Smart - 2 Point
    Flatiron - F5 - Artist
    Gibson - F12
    Gibson - A-50
    Flatiron - Pancake
    Fender FM 60 E

Does anyone in the NY area have a Clark? I would like to play one.
    Ask Austin. He would know.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

2006 Clark F5 on eBay right now.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Ebay Mandolin not made by Austin Clark!
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    2006 Clark F5 on eBay right now.
    Ahyes, the old BRUCE Clark confusion with Austin Clark. B ruce now puts a different name on his vert fine mandos. I briefly owned one of the early ones. Not bad at all.
    2005 Rigel G5 #2196
    2005 Phoenix Jazz #400
    1988 Jeff Traugott Acoustic #4
    2012 Eastman 905 Archtop Guitar, BLOND!

Remember to grin while you pick, it throws folks off!

Sorry... I should never have listened to Newsfetcher without reading more carefully!!

Then again, the OP never distinguished either or specified Austin so I suppose it was a valid answer to the original post.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

have had my new two point for about 5 months now. I was first attracted to Clark instruments after hearing one of his early fine sounding archtop guitars. I almost ordered a guitar, but having recently taken up mandolin in a big way I decided to order one of those instead. I'm a bit of a “special needs musician” (lefty), so I don't actually get to play that many instruments but I've been around fine instruments for a long time and have tried my hand at building so I know something of sound and workmanship when I see it.

The sound of mine is still evolving as the wood gets used to its new life as part of a musical instrument. Hearing it next to other mandolins, the sound is in another league from any mass produced mandolins I have seen and as good to my uneducated ears as any I have encountered (including one of those fancy old F5 Gibsons .

I originally wanted a more durable lacquer finish, but Austin overruled me. I now realize that this would have been insane. The french varnish finish on the Clark gives it a richer sound, a beautiful visual depth, a more organic feel and even a pleasant smell which is now associated in the depths of my reptile brain with the pleasure of sitting down to play. Haven't tried tasting it yet, so I can't say if it works for all 5 senses. Probably not.

Aesthetically, I really like the simple, well proportioned and understated elegance of Austins designs. I wasn't looking for a near copy of an old Gibson, and though I really like some of the more unusual designs out there I suspect the charm would wear off ofter many years/decades of familiarity.

If spending the kind of money it takes to get a fine hand made instrument is even conceivable for you (it was hard for me) you should do it. Clark's stuff is worth making sacrifices for.

21. The following members say thank you to Slow Twitch for this post: