Thread: You owe it to your mandolin (and yourself)

Default You owe it to your mandolin (and yourself)

I was through Nashville last week and had called ahead and set up an appointment at Big Joe's to have my mandolin set up. I have played the thing everyday for 6 or 7 years and was having playability issues. They did some fret work, adjusted the truss rod, replaced the nut and made some bridge adjustments. I cannot overstate what a huge difference it has made in my mandolin. My mandolin now is so easy and enjoyable to play. I have also noticed a big tonal improvement. It was a very enjoyable experience to finally meet Big Joe in person and chat about mandolins and guitars! If your mandolin is not just right, then I recommend getting it to a luthier for a professional set up. It will amaze you how something so basic can be so important to the sound and playability of your instrument. You'll be so glad you did.
    It doesn't matter . . . I'm going to WINFIELD!!!!!

Default Re: You owe it to your mandolin (and yourself)

Goose is absolutely right. I gave Big Joe a call last summer and scheduled my instrument a visit at his mando-spa. He did an extension scoop with faux frets, fit the bridge completely to the top, dressed the frets and other set-up issues. It plays like a dream. He did all this in 24 hours with advance notice. On top of that I got the bonus of hearing some great stories from Joe. Highly recommended!

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

I'm looking forward to stopping in for a visit with Big Joe on our drive home to ATex this summer. My '16A just got the treatment from Elderly this winter, but thanks to you gents' recommendations, I'll find something to bring along to 'fix' even if it is just to help get those stories going.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Blog Entries

Big Joe was the first call I made when I got my Kettler. I knew it needed a few things but after a few emails back and forth I sent the mandolin away. Well when it got there it needed a little more than a bridge and set up, Joe went over everything and thought the mandolin was good enough to bring it back to life. He ended up doing a complete refinish and nailed the look and color just from what I described, he put new frets, radiused the fretboard new bridge, tailpiece and tuners. It took a little longer than i wanted but in hind sight I should have been more patient but the wait was worth it and it is still spectacular.

I would not hesitate to use joe again and will if and when the need arises.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Everyone who can do it should find a good mandolin luthier and get comfortable with his/her work. The difference in how an instrument plays, feels, sounds when set up by someone who knows how to do the job well is indeed remarkable.

I'd tell you who I use, but then he might get too busy to do my work for me.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Wow, I just talked to Joe today about doing a Stainless Steel re-fret on one of my Telecasters.

Destroyer of Mandolins

Big Joe's reputation is well deserved, but a good set up from a qualified tech who knows mandolins is a must have no matter where you live. It's important that they be experienced with more than just electric guitars.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

I struggled for a while taking it to local music shops and just continued to have problems.. and thanks to the cafe I got in contact with a luthier relatively close by and it was like getting a whole new mandolin.. I was giggling like a little school girl after the first chord.. she sounded great before but after his work, she was unbelievable. Can't express enough how much difference it really makes..
    "Perhaps imagination is only intelligence having fun."

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I love mandolins and I love making them work right and sound right.
    Goose 2... You got to see our prototype guitars. What did you think?
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Big Joe's shop is just now completing prototypes of acoustic guitars which they plan to build for sale in the near future. I had the chance to play an OM body style and a dreadnaught. I am also a guitar picker and have some mighty nice sounding guitars to go along with my mandolins. I will will say that I was VERY impressed by the tone of theses guitars. I was amazed that they were only completed a few days before I had the chance to play them. Forget that they were brand spanking new. These are just very good sounding hand made guitars. They both already have that dry resonant big voice that we all crave in a good guitar. Th OM was so comfortable to play and sings like a dreadnaught. Sounds like they are going to be priced very nicely and if I were looking for a new hand built guitar, I would certainly give these a try. Big Joe also has plans to get back into mandolin building after the guitar project is off and running. Cannot wait to hear those too! Big Joe is a very talented guy. Heck, if you need a good 8 1/2 foot, 4 weight trout slayer he could probably build that for you too! Congrats Joe to you, Josh and Rob!
    It doesn't matter . . . I'm going to WINFIELD!!!!!

There are pics of the guitars Goose played and a 12 fret slot head we just finished yesterday. A couple dreads will be ready early next week.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Question for Joe:

My cheapo Rover is the only mando I'll probably ever be able to afford (at least until the kids are grown) but I love it and, fortunately, I'm not at all tempted to replace it...it has and will continue to be all I need.

I've always wanted to have a good set-up and maybe a top quality bridge fitted, but felt like it might be sightly embarrassing (and a waste of money) to bring my mutt in for a show-dog haircut, so to speak.

Can one of your set-ups do it any good, and would you laugh me out of the shop if I brought it in?

I would not laugh at anyone's choice of instrument. Each has it's place. We can certainly improve your mandolin in many ways. We would be happy to work on it.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

If you're going to play a mandolin (or any fretted instrument really) you should get the best possible setup, regardless of the instrument's monetary value. The difference between playing it with a good setup versus the typical factory setup cannot be overstated. Even fairly small changes can make a huge difference. You'll swear you're playing a new mandolin.

Keeping with the theme of this thread, I've heard very good things about Joe's work and may have to pay him a visit on my next trip to Nashville in May. If you can't get your mandolin to him, try to find someone with a good reputation for working on acoustic instruments. Ask around and see who the musicians in your area use. The typical guitar shop tech may not be the best person to work on your acoustic instrument. Reputation is everything. You may find the best guy working in a well know shop or he/she may be working in their home based shop (basement). I'm more excited about finding a good repairman than finding my next instrument.

After me and my Collings have had a couple months to get used to each other and it settles in, I will be looking for a good setup tech, I dont know a thing about mandolins but the Collings setup dont seem bad to me, the Mando has good tone/volume and seems easy to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Levinbravo View Post
    Question for Joe:

My cheapo Rover is the only mando I'll probably ever be able to afford (at least until the kids are grown) but I love it and, fortunately, I'm not at all tempted to replace it...it has and will continue to be all I need.

Just so youy know, you can get a lot more for the kids if you sell them before they are fully grown!!

You could prolly afford a nice gibby or that Altman Torch n' Wire in the classifieds.

NFI as I have 2 kids of my own!!
    2005 Rigel G5 #2196
    2005 Phoenix Jazz #400
    1988 Jeff Traugott Acoustic #4
    2012 Eastman 905 Archtop Guitar, BLOND!

Remember to grin while you pick, it throws folks off!