Thread: Sel-Mac Prototype

Thought I would share some pics of the prototype mando I have been working on. A take off on my ArchJazz mando (previously posted here some time ago....search ArchJazz from beginning if intrigued!) Actually, this mando involved a completely different construction technique. Even incorporates a novel (certainly to me, if not to all) bracing method....circular bracing! As I pondered your basic carved top....the mechanics of central mass moving up and down on a perimeter hinge prompted this approach. If you could support a thin top sufficiently, yet keep more mass centrally....well, seemed to make sense! Credit is due to Grant Goltz, a friend and guitar maker par excellance, who shared circular bracing in guitars. The light went on and we collaborated to apply it to mandos.
    One disclaimer: I could not stand the suspense any longer and had to substitute a standard tailpiece so I could string it up and have at it. Ultimately I will use a tailpiece more in keeping with the Selmer Maccaferi inspiration that I am making myself.

Mandomaniac

"....by the hand of one man."
    www.docsstringedinstruments.com

Here's a pic of the top.....(sorry for the crick in your neck, could not get it to rotate!)

and bottom.....

Mandomaniac

Here's the end result.......

Mandomaniac

Here's a couple more.....

Mandomaniac

The headstock was originally to be slotted. However, I could not locate a source of good gold horizonatal tuners. Wouldn't you know....I now have found a source. So subsequent SelMac mandos will have slotted heads. As you can see, I have not even trimmed the strings....Figured it would be easier to change them when I replace the tailpiece.
    Ahhhh, patience is not one of my virtues. Although, since the finish is a zillion hand rubbed coats, using no filler other than building up and cutting back time after time...I suppose I do have SOME patience.

Mandomaniac

Bravo! A classier style you could not have chosen. It looks vintage in just the right measure. Very impressive. How much will these sell for?

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oui! An instrumente tres belle...
    Very nice, Tom!
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

Merci beaucoups mes amis!
    I suppose I should comment on the voice of this fair fellow...
    To tell the truth, it shocked me. Astounding volume, rich ...across the board, nice sustain, yet clarity.
    Get the feeling I was pleased? # Subtle, eh?
    What I am really happy with is that the success of this method allows me to use a palette of exotic wood combinations. I have been wondering why the custom guitar boys should have all the fun! Just imagine!!!!!
    I appreciate the cost inquiry......would prefer you email me. #Obviously, I would be more than happy to discuss cost as well as tonewoods available. I have several enticing combinations in line for subsequent instruments, but hey....let's hear your ideas!
    Tom

Mandomaniac

Registered Person

Sweet! I like the headstock, too. (I do not like slotted headstocks, they're a pain)