Thread: Kentucky kh-dawg mandola

Default Kentucky kh-dawg mandola

Hey gang, we all heard that fewer than 50 DAWG mandolins were made, I'm curoius how many KH-DAWG mandolas may have been built?...They are the A style body with the Monte headstock.
    Michael Lettieri

Default Re: Kentucky kh-dawg mandola

I believe that a guitarist friend of mine who lives nearby has one -- at least I think it is a mandola but i recall that it was a Grand Artist style.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Less than 25 and more than 10. Pretty rare to find one. They sold more of the H5 replica.

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    Less than 25 and more than 10. Pretty rare to find one. They sold more of the H5 replica.
    Those are some pretty low numbers, Thanks
    Michael Lettieri

As usual when these questions come Up I called Sumi today to get the answer from the horses mouth. This question made him pause and think longer than most when asking about Kentucky history and Goldstar history. He gave it some good thought.

Here is his answer

KH Dawg mandolas made at the Maruko shop total of 5 or at the most 6

H5 mandola at the MOST 20

Its interesting the acrylic plexyglass outline templates for these instruments, both body and neck are hanging on the wall to this day, same nail they have been on for two decades ( g ), same with the hand carved top and back made by Monteleone with date and signature on it of the Dawg mandolin to give to the Maruko shop as a guide to carving and bracing the top and back. Hanging on the same nail that its been on since my first visit in 89.

Hope this helps

Scott

Desert Rose,
    5 or 6, that's some really low production. I had the opportunity to acquire one at what I thought was a very fair price. The thing is a monster. Its taking me a little bit of time to get used to the voicing and scale but with my limited mandola knowledge I think it sounds awesome. The workmanship is also very nice, if not excellent, oh and it sure looks happy sitting along side my KH-DAWG mandolin.
    Thanks all
    Michael Lettieri

Scott, did you happen to ask Sumi about the mandocellos while you were at it?
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I believe I already know the answer to the mandocello question but Ill call tomorrow to get it fresh. Sumi made a few mandocellos a few years ago and had one at IBMA. He also made an A Dawg mandola about three years ago, Turtlehill Banjo has it now for sale.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Rose View Post
    I believe I already know the answer to the mandocello question but Ill call tomorrow to get it fresh. Sumi made a few mandocellos a few years ago and had one at IBMA. He also made an A Dawg mandola about three years ago, Turtlehill Banjo has it now for sale.

Scott
    I was pleased to read this thread and learn of another Kentucky KH-DAWG instrument in the hands of a happy owner. I am priveleged to own two of these mandolas, and have become aquainted with one other KH-DAWG in addition to the instrument owned by Mandolinmyster.
    By my count, that's four of "5 or 6" now accounted for. The serial numbers of these instruments do not run consecutively, though two instruments may have been from the same "batch", as they share the same prefix. I suspect the KH-DAWG models were manufactured in 1983 and 1984. Any more out there in the hands of Cafe members?

After an exhaustive and enjoyable search, I was able to acquire a Kentucky KK-4 mandocello. I also found record of a KK-4 offered for sale by Players Vintage Instruments in September of 2001. Mine may be the same KK-4; I do not know.

I am informed there were three of the KK-4 mandocellos made in the Maruko shop at the request of Mr. Grisman, and perhaps with Mr. Monteleone's guidance.

Thanks in advance, Desert Rose, for corresponding with Mr. Sumi and giving clarity to this matter.

Interesting information. I had one of those KH-Dawgs until three years ago, but sold it to a friend over here in Germany. I wonder if he uses it much these days. This was a very fine instrument (with crackling tuner buttons, though), very good sounding and easy to play with a scale length in between Loars and Gils.

Over the last few years, I have been keeping notes on the instruments that have popped up from the Maruko plant. I have documented 5 KH-Dawgs and a sixth one that I don't have a serial number for (it came up for sale on ebay a couple of months ago).
    So, there are at least 6 out there, maybe 7 counting the one described in the previous post in Germany. Maybe I'm counting some of these twice but I do have 5 different serial numbers from 5 KH-Dawg's
    Hope this helps.
    Mike

Interesting posts

I just got back from a trip to Mandolin Bros where they have one of these for sale right now - if you're in the market for a mandola it's an absolute steal. It was hanging on the wall next to a Collings 'dola and a Weber 'dola, both priced considerably higher, and I think the Kentucky was the nicest of the three.

I was there a few weeks ago and I must have missed that KH-Dawg.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	39246.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	196.1 KB 
ID:	95102   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	39267.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	190.6 KB 
ID:	95103  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Hi. I just found this thread yesterday after digging out the Kentucky KH-Dawg Mandola that I bought new in 1985. S/N 84.2.xx

The wood on mine is not even close to being as nice as the one in the previous posts (@ Mandolin Bros.)

So maybe there are more out there than previously thought.

BTW, there is a Dawg mandolin currently for sale in Europe.www.tfoa.eu/the_store/index.php?target=categories&category...‎
    Last edited by Hendrik Ahrend; Jan-17-2014 at 2:32am.

Known KH-Dawg:
    305 04
    305 05
    305 10
    305 08
    305 15
    305 20
    84.2.xx

Blog Entries

#305 08 for posterity. In the Classifieds for sale at the moment. Not adding a link because those usually expire or the ad is deleted after a few weeks. A *lot* of replies to the ad, lots of interest. Doubt it'll be around long.

Name:  199848.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  308.4 KB

19. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

I have 305 09. Bought it in the mid-90's.