Thread: pavane basse-danse sheet music

Default pavane basse-danse sheet music

can anyone recommend a collection of pavane basse-danse sheet music, suitable for mandolin?

Default Re: pavane basse-danse sheet music

There are 12 basse-danses by Tielman Susato at the Icking Archive site, all arranged for viols as well as recorders. The recorder treble voices are fine for mandolin, especially if you can throw in some notes from the other parts. The six rondes are very good, too.

Link

Martin

thank you martin - perfect!

Bill, there are a number of pavanes in the works of Anthony Holborne for cittern as I recall. There was a collection made and published by Harvard in the 1970s that you might keep an eye out for. Here is one of them.

Barry

Barry/Bill: the Holborne pavanes are also at Icking, I think complete, but I'm not sure how easily these multi-part scores are adapted to mandolin.

Link

Another part of Icking that may be useful is the separate archive of viol music -- this has a lot of 16th and 17th century music (and some later ones) originally published for viol ensembles. Most of this plays just fine on mandolin. This viol archive also has one Holborne pavan, the treble part of which sits nicely in the mandolin range:

Viol music archive

Holborne pavane for viols

Martin

thanks to you both - i have allan alexander's "renaissance music for guitar" - with cd - which is ok to play along with but i would have thought a basse-danse collection for mandolin would also be available. i arrived at the imslp site via here - http://en.scorser.com/S/Sheet+music/Basse/-1/1.html

I've just made a multitrack recording of one of the Tielman Susato basse danses linked earlier in this thread. This is Basse Danse No. 1 (Dont vient cela), played from the four-part recorder arrangement at the Icking site, with mandolin on the two treble recorder voices and tenor guitar for the tenor voice -- I'm leaving the bass voice out. Recorded by overdubbing the voices using Audacity, played on Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin and Ozark tenor guitar.

If I understand these right, the "Nachtanz" (or coda) is meant to be a lively contrast to the stately basse danse, so I've upped the tempo for the Nachtanz.

Martin