Thread: Chord Forms for Cross-Picking

Default Chord Forms for Cross-Picking

I've been doing a fair amount with the DUU roll and want to start working it into breaks. However I haven't been able to find any resources that talk about chord construction for this style of playing. What I have learned falls squarely outside the common chord forms I use for rhythm playing and is actually much closer to double stops but with an open string added to the mix. So what are the most common/useful forms to use when crosspicking?

Most of the threads that I've found in the Archives here are right hand-focused. Does anyone know where I can find out more on left hand arranging or have any tips from personal experience?
    Without music life would be a mistake. ~Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Blog Entries

Default Re: Chord Forms for Cross-Picking

I use a pdf entitled, "3 Note Chords," which I think I downloaded from the Cafe. it was written by a person I do not know, named Charlie Jones. I think it is quite a good resource, but since it is not mine, and I'm not positive I got it from a Cafe posting, I am hesitant to re-post it. Perhaps somebody has a link, or maybe Mr. Jones will stop by. I've tried doing a simple search, but my search skills are meagre. If you can't find it, send me a PM, I'll send you a pdf copy.

Here's a worksheet from my files, my favorite 1-4-5 positions in G, A, B, C, D, and E. These patterns all utilize an open E string, a la McReynolds.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cross-Picking Positions.pdf 
Views:	1142 
Size:	249.3 KB 
ID:	86219
    2016 Ellis F5
    2007 Gibson Sam Bush
    1924 Gibson A Jr.
    1913 R. Calace Brevettato 900
    Espresso
    Youtube

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jordan Ramsey For This Useful Post:

It might have been Phil Vinyard's Three Note Survival Chords posted here in Feb.

Rick
    Quote Originally Posted by pickloser View Post
    I use a pdf entitled, "3 Note Chords," which I think I downloaded from the Cafe. it was written by a person I do not know, named Charlie Jones. I think it is quite a good resource, but since it is not mine, and I'm not positive I got it from a Cafe posting, I am hesitant to re-post it. Perhaps somebody has a link, or maybe Mr. Jones will stop by. I've tried doing a simple search, but my search skills are meagre. If you can't find it, send me a PM, I'll send you a pdf copy.

Still a mandolin fighter Mandophyte's Avatar

John

Social Groups: FFcP, A Song-a-Week
    ABC. Notation for the tabophobic: ABC intro, ABCexplorer, Making Music with ABC Plus by Guido Gonzato.
    FFcP: Just do it! (Any genre, (Honest!) just ignore the jazz references.)
    Eastman 604, 2007 | Thomas Buchanan Octave Mandolin, 2010

Thanks for the input and the two charts; I think they will prove very helpful!
    Without music life would be a mistake. ~Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

My general all-purpose go-to one-size-fits-all crosspicking pattern is 4D 3D 2U 3U 1D 2D 3U 2U, in which 4 = G string, 3 = D string, etc. I don't recall how I came up with this, as it was quite some time ago. You can see this combines repetitive patterns in pick direction (DDUU DDUU) and string selection (4323 1232). I am well aware this is quite different from the standard McReynolds pattern,* but it works for me. The key element is hitting strings 4 and 1 on the 1 and 3 beats of a measure; the other strings are sort of filling in, in a jingle-jangle way.

But that's the right hand, and you were more concerned about left hand. I don't know how much I can help you there; I tend to just play regular chords that are pretty much in the same position, nothing too out of the ordinary. I will at times employ an 8-7b pull-off, usually on the E string, as in the key of G, say, with an E7 - A7 - D7 - G progression, something like
    A7 - D7 - G
    A G F# A G

I don't use crosspicking a whole lot, but there are generally a few simple reasons why I do.

1) I find this works nicely in circle of fifths tune, as there is a lot of harmonic activity built into the progression already.
    2) In simpler patterns this is a way to add a different texture or feel.
    3) Crosspicking can fill out a band's sound, especially in a small one.
    4) Sometimes I use this when I am just learning a song, because it sounds cool and as if I know what I'm doing, when in fact all I know is the chord progression.

*This subject was discussed at length a couple months ago, at which time I proposed that crosspicking is a technique and Reynolds-style is just one form of it, despite objections from some who contended that crosspicking IS Reynolds-style and anything else is - well, something else. My contention is that 3-3-2 rhythm, while cool, is a bit jarring, attention-diverting, and disrupts a smooth general 4/4 flow. And, again, is just one possibility of the crosspicking technique. IMHO.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    My general all-purpose go-to one-size-fits-all crosspicking pattern is 4D 3D 2U 3U 1D 2D 3U 2U, in which 4 = G string, 3 = D string, etc. I don't recall how I came up with this, as it was quite some time ago. You can see this combines repetitive patterns in pick direction (DDUU DDUU) and string selection (4323 1232). ......
    JB:
    I see the first 4 note pattern and how it works, but how did you come up with the second 4 note pattern? Stroking down on string 1 followed by down on string 2, and then up on 3 and up on 2, seems to be masochistic with the backwards string crossings. Is there some function this difficult pattern serves that I haven't yet discovered? Maybe I just need lots more practice.

Just looks like DUDU on 1232 would be Sooooo much easier!
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

10. The following members say thank you to Phil Goodson for this post: