Thread: Advice for Buyers --

Default Advice for Buyers --

So I thought I'd post some advice to new (or older) buyers. Actually, it's a conversation with myself, between my sensible self and my silly, prideful self. Maybe this will strike a chord with others? So string along for a while. This is really PSYCHOLOGICAL advice --- sort of?

So I have a wonderful Gibson A-1, round hole from 1917 and I very, very strongly recommend this mandolin for anyone looking for a general mandolin. Great sound -- perhaps not quite suitable for bluegrass rhythm chops or fast jazz because the sustain is so rich and the sound might sound "muddy" in super-fast playing, especially on the bass strings, but for folk or slow bluegrass, blues, jazz it's great. It's also worth maybe 800-1200 depending....

So, so, I decided I "needed" something for bluegrass/maybe fast jazz and something cheaper so I don't have to play that Gibson in the rain around a campfire ever again....or risk someone breaking it. An F-hole. Like many others looking in this price point, I was moving towards either a Loar 520 or a Loar 400. I'm going to use "folkmusician.com" as a baseline, not because I do or don't recommend them (never dealt with them) but because their prices seem to be at the low end for a company that seems reliable and offers good set up. The 520 has "the scroll" and apparently, a somewhat "drier" sound good for bluegrass, among other styles, while the 400 has no scroll (sigh !) and a somewhat "richer" sound (all things being equal--we all know this can be modified) and still can carry a good bluegrass chop as well. As of this writing, the price for a 520 without setup is an insane $369 and for the 400, it is $549 with case, so to "standardize the price", with a case about $70, it would be about $480.

I leaned towards the 400 only because I suspect (others can correct me) that it is "easier" to make a 400 sound like a "drier" mando than to put the "richer" sound into a mando that doesn't quite have it. But I know there are a million variables and the sound isn't that terribly different between them and would grab a 520 if the price was right. So then the hunt for a used one started.

Good old ebay had a 400 for $299, and then it appeared at $249 plus $19 shipping. The seller said it had some "signs of use" and the photo looked like it had some "somethings" in the finish (hopefully not the wood) on the face-but the seller also said that it was "Near Mint" which generally means that there might be some scuffs, (nitro finish can be buffed up) but no "dings in the wood." Seller has, like 99% satisfactory? ... I bid and it stayed at $249 for day after day. I was quite happy, until, of course, the last day when others jumped in. So I thought I'd be willing to go to $287 (plus 19, no point in fooling myself about the price). It sat there at that price. Then I was at an AMAZING CONCERT (seriously gang -- BROWN BIRD -- no mandolin but what an incredible duo, and they probably could sweetly put some mando in, but anyhow, I was very surprised at what a great show they put on!) and unfortunately or not, I had my "internet capable" phone with me and at the last minute got compelled to bid 308 (plus 19) and won it.

Then the "second guessing" started -- gee, I could have gotten a NEW 520 for only forty bucks more. Or gotten a new 400 for only 150 more and it would have no scratches, or waited until one came up for 280 or 290 or......

And then I reminded myself. I wanted an inexpensive mandolin that had a good sound. I (hopefully) got an inexpensive mandolin that I wouldn't be afraid to take anywhere and could play bluegrass and apparently has excellent sound.

So, was I "agonizing" over the quality of the mando I got? (Well, of course I'd rather have a new LOAR 700 or Gibson F-9 or Nugget or Monteleone, but seriously...for what I was willing to spend? ) I got a good sounding mando at a good price. So was I agonizing over the mandolin or over TWENTY DOLLARS, since if I had gotten it for the $287, I'd probably be happy as can be! Now if it comes all scratched up badly or with some other problems that's a different story...but here's the moral of my story...

Am I agonizing over "missing out on a mando that I want" or that "I spent way too much on a crappy mandolin?" or am I really agonizing over TWENTY or THIRTY DOLLARS? (Besides since there were other bidders, if I really don't like it, I can probably resell it at not much of a loss....)

TOO MANY OF US (myself included) get our "desires" tangled up in our brains and the "great feeling" at getting something we want gets tangled up with wanting to think that we really got the best deal possible. Hey, it's about the MUSIC. Go figure out what you want and can afford (remember the ToneGard, and case will add about 150 to the cost and a CA bridge plus setup might add maybe another 70 or more...but you can get that stuff later and fool yourself into thinking that you got the mando itself at a good price!) ...seriously, no second guessing. If it's not playable, or has major structural problems or you really can't stand the sound and can't modify it with a different bridge or strings or pick or technique, then get rid of it. But if you are going to worry about it, just be clear in your own mind about whether you are really worrying about the mando, or worrying about a few dollars!

Save your fretting for your fingers! THERE -- now if I sound "self-righteous", I'm not because I'm really talking to myself! I will, however, let you all know if it comes with some minor scuffs or major scratches!

(And if you like new acoustic folk with a tinge of Eastern Europe and bluegrass and blues, seriously, BROWN BIRD, amazing high energy band...I think there's a 40 minute concert online-- try google and Youtube...it's the Rhode Island band, not the aboriginal band!....)
    Last edited by Brutus1999; Jun-03-2012 at 1:14pm.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Advice for Buyers --

Yes, we have all gone through something similar. I know I have.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Nice Gibson A --- looks JUST like mine.....

I'm at the point where I prefer not to have to buy anything.

I've found that I forget the price and remember the service and quality of dealer work.
    Stephen Perry

Have bought three mandolins unseen and never experienced any of this. Have got quite excited about them coming and have felt diasappointment when the postman walks by my gate. But you seem to have suffered more than most.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Perry View Post
    I'm at the point where I prefer not to have to buy anything.
    Me either, of course then I wouldn't have anything to play...
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'