Thread: any idea

Default any idea

thought i'd post this here,upcoming auction in my area,this is listed,as a L-50? anyone have a thought?
    Name:  gibson .jpg
Views: 314
Size:  8.0 KB
    "Enjoy every sandwich." Warren Zevon

Facebook
    Youtube

Default Re: any idea

You may want to post a larger photo if possible. Color looks like 1960s but truly hard to tell. I can't even tell if it is a 4 string or a 6 string.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

best pic i can put out there...i had to strain my eyes but,i only see 4 tuners..i'll post a link to the flyer/add for it.couple mandos here too
    http://www.auctionzip.com/Listings/1361519.html

Facebook
    Youtube

Blog Entries

That sure looks nice, whatever it is...
    And it appears to have one of those DeArmond pick-ups that everyone likes.
    (click for larger image)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gibson-L50-maybe.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	87577
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Big problem with the photo gallery is only one pic per item. It's obviously a tenor, obviously not an L-50 (no idea where they got that), but without any other photos hard for me to tell anything more ... well, I'll just leave it up to the experts ... Looks to be in good shape, though.

PS: What in tarnation is a Wander A Way Lee? Wild looking! But the extremely long neck negates one of the charms of a small-bodied instrument.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Ed, you are way too fast for me...

Most antiques folks just do a quick image search and find what they think looks like what they have. At least they have the correct maker. It still looks like 1960s TG-50 to me.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

well,as much as i'd like to go check this out,don't know if i will? i'm in the middle of house renovations,and not that my wife would kill me,but my wife might kill me...living room/bathroom come first...plus i hate wasting a whole day,trying to hopefully get something, only to watch the price fly away...if it's a drizzly day maybe..but it's out there if anyones looking for something..ed,you really put the itch on the tenors for me...some interesting things there..thank's guys..
    JB i don't think there's enough wander a way lee's in the keys..

Facebook
    Youtube

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    What in tarnation is a Wander A Way Lee? Wild looking! But the extremely long neck negates one of the charms of a small-bodied instrument.
    Made in the 1960s under a variety of names, it was some sort of novelty instrument. The long spiky neck IIRC was so that you could stick it in the sand while you were surfing. There were other variants made by the Swagerty Specialties Co., San Clemente, CA: The Singing Treholipee, Surfalele, Kookolelee, all equally bizarre.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately: