Thread: Cushman Mandolins

Default Cushman Mandolins

Who's got one or has experience playing one? I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on one but am looking for some feedback.

Unhappy Re: Cushman Mandolins

I purchased a Cushman from his 2011 batch last June. It really played and sounded good, but the neck was just too chunky. The fit and finish were acceptable. I returned it for a refund, and paid for shipping both ways.
    Mr. Cushman said he would build another mandolin with a slimmer neck for me at the same price ($1200 + $25 shipping), and would contact me during the neck carving stage, probably January or February of 2012. I finally heard from him on May 12, and he let me know this batch of mandolins would be ready at the end of the month. I sent him an email stating that, after I had not heard back from him, I had used the money I was saving for the mandolin for another purpose. I told him I was still interested, and would try to raise the money for the mandolin by the end of the month, perhaps by selling 2 or 3 other instruments.
    Before the end of May I informed Mr. Cushman that I was able to purchase the mandolin, as I had sold a couple of my instruments, and was able to cover the rest of the cost. I have not heard back from him since May 12.
    After doing a search, I found the mandolin with the slimmer neck on Ebay for $1349 (posted before the end of May), and another one on the Cafe for $1500.
    The Cushman I had played well and sounded great, but now, after waiting a year for one of his mandolins, I am down one Pac-rim mandolin and one acoustic/electric guitar, with no Cushman to show for it, and no reply from Mr. Cushman. I do not know why he has not responded, either before or after they were posted for sale.
    I just wanted to share my experience with you.
    Last edited by Luzianaman; Jun-08-2012 at 1:27pm.

Default Re: Cushman Mandolins

Mr. Cushman has contacted me, and the problem may soon be resolved. I wanted to remove or edit the post, pending resolution in this matter, but have not seen how I can do that on this site.
    Thank you, everyone. I will keep you posted.

PM sent your way Luzianaman

Apparently, some emails were lost in cyberspace, and that was why I had not received a response from Mr. Cushman. Things sure can get messed up easily. Thanks to the Mandolin Cafe Forum, we were able to re-establish communication.
    A new Cushman mandolin should be making its way to my door very soon. I will post again soon after I receive it.
    Stay tuned!

Smile Re: Cushman Mandolins

I received my new Cushman mandolin a week ago. It was shipped quickly after payment was received.
    The fit and finish are very good, better than the one I returned last year (because of the thicker neck). It is a beautiful brown sunburst that highlights more of the wood grain than the darker sunbursts used on many mandos.
    Matt made this one with a slimmer neck for me, which is more comfortable to my hands. This neck is still not quite as slim as I am accustomed to, but I am getting used to it. The string separation is greater than I have seen on most mandos. I did not know if it I would like it at first, but I really do. The action is very good, and would be hard to improve upon.
    The tone is very pleasing to the ear, with somewhat of a throaty sound and a good amount of sweetness mixed in. The volume is good for a new mandolin, but it could use a little more horsepower, which should come as it begins to open up from playing.
    Overall, I am very pleased with the Cushman mandolin. I received very good compliments on it at the two jams I brought it to, on both appearance and sound. If you think the standard neck will work for you, there is a lot of value in these mandolins.
    Please keep in mind that these opinions are my own.

Thanks for the report

Since I could not find this maker in the database, here is the link to his web site.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I've seen some very favorable reviews of his archtop guitars.

How can he make them so inexpensively. Do you think he's starting with a kit?

No, I am sure he is not. That would be more expensive but less work probably. I think it's just that he's not that well established in selling mandolins and is willing to sell them for a reasonable price. He first made one for his brother and decided to build a few more, that's how he got started with it. I think he has made around ten of them so far. He was already pretty well established with his archtop guitars, which are really nice as I understand it. I remember someone selling a used F5 of his for $1100 and a Flatiron Festival F5, I think, at the same time. They said they liked the Cushman better and just wanted to sell one, whichever sold first. I think his mandolins, at least the earlier ones, are a little rough around the edges cosmetically. Here is his website http://www.cushmanguitars.com/services.html.

I must be just old enough to wonder why a scooter company would branch into mandolins?

They sound like they are fine instruments, but I have never seen or heard one. The name just grabs my imagination every time.
    Brian T. Walker
    Down beside the Alamo
    In the Lone Star State

"Ignorance is when you don't know something and somebody finds it out."
    -- Kenneth "Jethro" Burns

Quote Originally Posted by B. T. Walker View Post
    I must be just old enough to wonder why a scooter company would branch into mandolins?
    Glad its not just me.........Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by ampig View Post
    How can he make them so inexpensively. Do you think he's starting with a kit?
    If he was it would probably cost him more to build them. That doesn't mean he isn't.

I guess I should chime in on this thread. First off, thanks Luzianaman, I'm glad you like your mandolin.
    I used a stew mac kit to build my first instrument back in 1999. After that, I was hooked so I wanted to try an archtop guitar but there are no kits for guitar so I had to scratch build everything ( I already had a pretty good shop set up ). I had been repairing stringed instuments for a few years before I built anything. I followed Bob Benedetto's book and plans as closely as possible. I made 3 archtops at the same time because as we all know 3 are better than 1 and I wanted to compare them to each other. All 3 were parallel braced and came out great. My brother still has one. So I've always scatched built since that 1st kit. A kit would only slow me down and add considerably to my costs. I have a carving machine I converted for carving plates. And I use a pin router and pin alignment system for carving, cutting, and assembling with accuracy and for time saving. I also have a mini-mill for routing the inlay cavities. I speed things along and cut costs with the use of fiber binding, a popular choice among guitar builders. It is very similar to wood binding for sound. It is a very hard vulcanized cellulose that doesn't breakdown with time. Binding the scroll of an f style is time consuming and glueing plastic to wood takes time , skill ,and toxic glues. The fiber bends easily and bonds securely to wood with liquid hide glue. I make almost all the parts from scratch from the lining to the truss rod and it's cover. Kits are a great way to start building but they might lead you on to trying the harder stuff. As to my pricing $1700 for an F-Style mando- I don't think you can find a better value in a hand crafted mando anywhere. I've sold about 34 guitars and mandos to date and as far as I know they are all still getting played.
    Matt

Thanks Matt. I play in a band with Dave Merrill, the original other brother in Merrill Bros Guitars. He is still building guitars on his own and was amazed that you could offer a hand built F-style for that price. I'm interested in buying an F style for my wife for Christmas. If funding allows, you may be hearing from me. Do you typically have mandolins on hand or would I need to place an advance order?

I have a couple now but I figure they'll be sold long before Christmas. If you want to put a lock on one, I'd need a down payment
    in advance. You can always contact me thru my website- www.cushmanguitars.com

OK thanks

Last night, I had the opportunity to play a newer Cushman F5 style at the Missouri SPBGMA awards show. It had a wider string spacing and non-polished finish. Fit and feel were fantastic, and there were lots of positive comments from the crowd (other pickers) as to the sound of the instrument. I'm impressed with this builder's work.