Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grey Fox anyone?

Default Grey Fox anyone?

Grey Fox anyone? Who is going to be there? My Brother Tom and myself will be there with the Beard Guitar booth, under the same tent as D'Adarrio, and Caruso Music from New London Ct.. The guys from Caruso Music are great and Don Dawson from D'Adarrio is known to anyone who has come to the Meet and Greets at Grey Fox. Whether we have and official Meet and Greet, which I'll will be happy to help with, or just sit down and play at our camp site is ok with me.We hope to get fine tuned and do a little jamming. Drop me a line. I will be on the road for the next month, but I will have my computer with me. Stay in touch. Dick Wade
    dick wade

Default Re: Grey Fox anyone?

I'll be there with some of my students. My friend Match Atkinson will be there also.

Going for the first time this year and can't wait! Wonderful line up.

We have one-day tickets for Saturday; it's kind of become a tradition. We spend the week in East Durham doing Catskills Irish Arts Week and then go bluegrass for a breather on the one day.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

I'm a first-timer, too. Planning to pick with fellow Virginian and Grey Fox veteran Bob Sykes (fiddle).
    "Got time to breathe, got time for music" -- Briscoe Darling

oh yeah. I'll be there.

oh yeah, and I am planning on organizing another meet and greet. I think this will be the 5th year for the M & G. Maybe we will do it on Saturday this year so Randi can come...

I'll pass thanks...It's a crap shoot; the weather seems to be too hot or too wet. The last time I went, my wife and I
    had our feet in a cooler full of ice, lucky we had an awning on our camper van or we would have been roasted. Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by J Mangio View Post
    I'll pass thanks...It's a crap shoot; the weather seems to be too hot or too wet. The last time I went, my wife and I
    had our feet in a cooler full of ice, lucky we had an awning on our camper van or we would have been roasted. Have fun.
    You live in Florida and you thought it was too hot at Greyfox??? hahaha

It does get hot, especially if there is no place to cool off. Is there any water (streams or rivers) nearby? I am thinking about going, but I don't have a camper, just a tent, and with no shade I don't know how my instruments will hold up.

I'm a snowbird...6 in FL and 6 in MA.

Quote Originally Posted by mandopaul View Post
    It does get hot, especially if there is no place to cool off. Is there any water (streams or rivers) nearby? I am thinking about going, but I don't have a camper, just a tent, and with no shade I don't know how my instruments will hold up.
    Myself and lot's of others tent with fine instruments with no issues. I use a old ez up canopy to cover my car and store my instruments in there with the windows cracked. With the glass covered the car doesn't get nearly as hot. There is a stream nearby, you are not supposed to go in but a lot of folks do. There is a discount for a nearby water park, but I do miss the quarry at the old place.

I agree with Fred. I have been to Grey Fox with a truck load of fine instruments and never had any issues except finger prints from folks trying them. It does get hot at Grey Fox at times, but it is still worth the trip. As I write this it's about 100 degrees in the shade in Fort Collins Colorado and it was hotter in Denver yesterday, but I am not sorry to be here. I have my mandolin and guitar with me, with a Planet Waves humidipack in both cases. I use and ez up canopy at festivals and, like Fred, it works for me. As soon as Thile and Daves, or Hot Rise start playing I'll forget the weather anyway, hot, rainy, or cold. I am looking forward to a great time with friends and music. Hope to see you all there.
    dick wade

I was at a concert last night featuring Noam Pikelny and friends, and their opening band was String Finger (local guys, I was sitting next to the lead mando/fiddle player's sister who I know from an alternate universe) and both bands said they were going to be at Grey Fox and they asked who in the audience was going. Probably a dozen hands went up. There was a joke about which weekend it was, but that got straightened out pretty quickly. I was surprised, on listening to the gossip around me during the break between bands, to find that a good half of us seemed to be musicians of one stripe or another. There was a lot of excitement about the upcoming festival.
    Anyway, String Finger is playing Thursday in one of the side stages, I believe, and they're worth dropping by to listen to. They looked about 15 years old to me, but Sally assures me her brother (Dan Tressler) is actually 35 or so. They put on a good show. NFI since I won't be there on Thursday.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

This year Grey Fox will generously make the slow jam tent available for on-line forum groups to meetup and they will be putting the days and times on the printed schedule. There is no obligation or 'catch', just another service for the great patrons at Grey Fox. All internet type folks are welcome and it is not for any particular forum group. The schedule will be coming out today and my understanding is that they have added another day. I had originally requested just one day and time, but the management thought it was a neat idea and have expanded it to 3 days now, I think. We tired to pick times that would not conflict with workshops or main stage music, but the schedule is so tight, especially this year with the additional bands at the former Master's stage, that a conflict is inevitable. I hope some folks here can take advantage of this offer. If you like it, please let the Festival know so they can continue it. I'll post more when it comes out. Hope to see you there.
    Tom

Has there been any more thought on when the Mandolin Cafe meet & greet will be held at Greyfox? 13 more days until the gates open!
    1991 Apitius F5 (#1036)
    2017 Briar Road 3-point archtop
    2007 Kentucky KM-1000

OK, the Official schedule is out and here is the link: http://www.greyfoxbluegrass.com/ws/pages/schedule.php You will note that there has been Meet-up time allocated at the Slow Jam tent from noon to 2pm on Thursday and 10:00 to 11:30am on Friday. and Saturday. This is very generous of the Grey Fox team. I haven't seen much talk up about this on any of the forums, but I hope some folks will come on out and we'll have a nice time.

You will note that the terms "Hangout" is used in the schedule, please be assured this is open to all internet forum users as a place to meet-up and enjoy each other. I also understand that is traditional for the Mando Cafe to have a meet & Greet and this is in no way intended to interfere with that, just another option. Hope to see you all there. Please spread the word.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
    OK, the Official schedule is out and here is the link: http://www.greyfoxbluegrass.com/ws/pages/schedule.php You will note that there has been Meet-up time allocated at the Slow Jam tent from noon to 2pm on Thursday and 10:00 to 11:30am on Friday. and Saturday. This is very generous of the Grey Fox team. I haven't seen much talk up about this on any of the forums, but I hope some folks will come on out and we'll have a nice time.

You will note that the terms "Hangout" is used in the schedule, please be assured this is open to all internet forum users as a place to meet-up and enjoy each other. I also understand that is traditional for the Mando Cafe to have a meet & Greet and this is in no way intended to interfere with that, just another option. Hope to see you all there. Please spread the word.

Tom
    Hey Tom,
    Yeah I just noticed it on the schedule this morning. Last year they let us have lunch time at the kids academy tent. I neglected to hit them up early enough this year but maybe next we can get one of the days for our meet and greet. Thanks for the invite!
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Fred G View Post
    Hey Tom,
    Yeah I just noticed it on the schedule this morning. Last year they let us have lunch time at the kids academy tent. I neglected to hit them up early enough this year but maybe next we can get one of the days for our meet and greet. Thanks for the invite!
    Fred
    Fred, just to be clear, this includes EVERYBODY for ALL the internet forums. The use of the word "Hangout" was an oversight and my fault entirely. Mary was working on the final schedule in the wee hours and in my sleepy state when I gave her the 'words' I screwed it up. So, there is a place for everybody here. The significant part is that it will be on the printed schedule for those who may only be occasional users of the forums and find out when they read the schedule. The schedule has barely been up for 24 hours and I had 2 folks come up to me at a gig last night and discuss it. I will really miss the "Master's series" they used to have, but I will enjoy all the extra bands that are using those time slots.
    Hope to see you there.

I'd vote to include the Mandolin Cafe meet & greet as part of the online forums that are meeting on Thursday from noon-2pm in the Slow Jam tent. Just set up a table in a corner of the tent for MC, and people will come! Besides, it might be nice to see what other online forums there are in this wonderful world of music.
    1991 Apitius F5 (#1036)
    2007 Kentucky KM-1000

Tom, I got that it was for all internet forums. Two reasons I will probably have our meet up separately is that ours is more a mando tasting where we all pass around our instruments and let others play them and secondly we have been "sponsored" by our friends at D'Addario for the last 4 years and again this year. We have had some pretty stellar mandos there in past years that folks where willing to share.

That being said it would be great if you and joni24 come by (whenever I figure out where and when) and join us, it has been fun the last few years.
    Fred

OK, I get it now and this is great. I hope that I can make it. I am just a beginner on the Mando with about a year on the banjo so any opportunity to learn new stuff is a treasure to me. I am glad you guys are having something, if this other 'thing' works, and folks actually show up, perhaps for next year we could make so that everyone gets what they need but get it on the schedule so that folks know about it. Mary was wonderful about adding it on the schedule and I only presented it as a suggestion. Grey Fox, as you know is very open to suggestions and that is how they improve things from year to year. I work as a volunteer with the medical group and I love my job. So much so that I work almost twice the amount of time they require. You may frequently see me 'on patrol' walking all over the grounds from campsites to back stage. My 'mission' is to make sure everyone is safe, healthy and having a good time by advising them to drink water or identifying hazards that might cause someone harm. But honestly, I am walking around meeting people, chatting, catching music wherever it might be and just having a blast!
    I look forward to meeting many new friends AGAIN this year. Since I started playing, this event has taken on a lot of new meaning for me. I just left Bill Keith's house about an hour ago and we are both like little kids making plans for this year.
    10 days!
    Tom

Registered User Justus True Waldron's Avatar

Does anyone know yet when the MC meetup/mando tasting will be? I've never gone before but I should be there from Thursday night through Saturday and always like to share my mando/try others. If I somehow miss that, my luthier Marty Macica will be there with a booth and has asked me to help him out manning it, so stop by and say hi! I think he'll have 6 or so of his hand made mandolins there, ranging between $3-10k dollars, the most mandolins and widest price range I ever remember him having at a festival. I haven't even played the three newest ones yet, I'm looking forward to it! Hope to see everybody there picking and hearing some great music.
    - 2004 Macica A
    - 1952 Selmer Centered Tone
    - Eastwood electric mandola
    (and lots more)

Hey Justus, glad you're able to go, it's a great festival! Do you know where you'll be camping yet? We generally set up somewhere in the block at the corner of Monroe & Lilly streets. Plan to have low key mandolin/fiddle tune jams in the mornings before the main stage revs up... you and all are welcome if you see a jam going on.
    1991 Apitius F5 (#1036)
    2007 Kentucky KM-1000

Bought my ticket last night! 1st Grey Fox since 2009. It will be great to see everyone! I will be there All of Friday and most of Saturday.

Carleton