Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Nugget Ajr

Default Re: Nugget Ajr

Quote Originally Posted by Glassweb View Post
    for way less money than y'all are thinking of spending on a "stripped down" master-made mando you could get a full blown bells and whistle model made by any number of stellar makers
    Glassweb, is that Paul Glass? Anyway, you are right. There are probably more choices now than ever, and that is a perfectly rational opinion. I have personally supported many of these up and comers. My own opinion is that Gil, Nugget, and Dude are only going to make so many mandolins. These are the top tier makers. My decision is based on a love and respect for their work, music in general, and an investment basis. I look forward to the day when I have all three! Monteleone does not seem to be in this "niche" market. Wish he was!

This one was you, right Dave? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Coombe #76 003.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	87927

[QUOTE=sgrexa;1061342]This one was you, right Dave?

Yep, that's the one. Who bought it ? It's nice to keep track of em'. Hope she's served you well. I'm still amazed at Mikes craftmanship to this day. It was fun trying a few of his inlays but I don't think I'll ever have the patience much less the ability to build at that level. It's fun to try though. I'm certainly a little better than I was back then. Enjoy the new investments & keep on pickin' !!

Quote Originally Posted by sgrexa View Post
    Jim, if you have a link to any pics or threads I would be interested to see what you are talking about. What is IIRC Nugget? Also, if you are looking for a really good oval hole, you should consider Peter Coombe. That is his bag, and I deeply regret selling two of his instruments years back. I think the wait time is reasonable too these days.
    IIRC = if I recall correctly

I was inquiring around about the ultimate oval hole by a contemporary maker and Mr. Coombe was in that group for sure. After that I was able to purchase a really nice A4 by Hans Brentrup so I am pretty well satisfied -- at least for the moment.

As for Nugget, I did check my emails from last fall: he does make an oval but it would not be an AJr but either as a deluxe or standard A. Std A oval as of last fall would be $11k. BTW I think it is public knowledge, but the price for an AJr is listed on Sandy Munro's site as $7,500.

I did also check on my past emails with Stephen Gilchrist. He calls the one that is patterned after the AJr a 1Jr. The one that I was interested in was called a Model 1 and is patterned after an A2Z and last time I checked would run about $1000 more than the AJr. See pics below (not mine BTW).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MandoIns 011.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	87930   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MandoIns 015.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	87931  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

[QUOTE=Jim Garber;1061358]IIRC = if I recall correctly

I was inquiring around about the ultimate oval hole by a contemporary maker and Mr. Coombe was in that group for sure.QUOTE]

As he should be. Sorry for not being up on the latest internet jargen! It is hard to keep up! Peter will be next on my list, once finaces allow. I do not post regularly in this forum, but I remember you from the old comando days. I play a Girouard now. Max is a builder who is up and coming and I actually own two now, but the Garcia is now, very sadly up for sale, as I need funds for this little project. I have one of his F jrs (if you will) and it is right up there with all the others I have owned over the years. Reminds me of my Kimble F and J. Tonewise, for sure, but still improving on all the little anal things that mando geeks squable over lol. I am proud to have this F5 as the start of my JR collection and will post pics tomorrow at work. It is killer. Anyway, didn't Jimmy D'Aquisto start this all when he basically said "no plastic on my guitars"? Or something like that. He probably used wood bindings, but I do not really see the porpuse of bindings? Other than to make the details on an F5 "pop", which is kind of important. Less so on an A5, but what do I know? I am just trying to get by and enjoy the music! That is what is all about.

Sean

Dave, if you had that ability almost a decade ago, I am sure you are on the right path! I can't remember who I sold it to, sorry.

I like the junior idea too. The Dude and Nugget have it right though.......if I'm paying that much $$$ for a mandolin I want the name inlaid in the headstock!

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    I like the junior idea too. The Dude and Nugget have it right though.......if I'm paying that much $$$ for a mandolin I want the name inlaid in the headstock!

Very good point! I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    I think I might talk Steve into a DIY kit, to drop in to the laser etched headstock. Hell, with some crazy glue, this might become my greatest contribution to modern luthery!

Wow - at $6-7K for a Nugget A jr my Gibson A Jr was quite a bargain for $500. It sounds great and is a nice alternative to my Collings MT2V.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dude 2.jpg 
Views:	576 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	87913Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dude 5.jpg 
Views:	668 
Size:	119.0 KB 
ID:	87914
    Even with the camera angle, do the treble side tuner keys on this Dude look to extrude further than the bass side keys, or do my eyes deceive me by way of an optical illusion?
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

Yow! That makes my eyes hurt!
    Mike Snyder

Ben, I think that is the camera angle.

I believe the nut material Mike is now using is Delrin.

Sean, enjoy your Nugget. Mike builds some really wonderful mandolins and is a really special guy, too. There are four Nuggets (that I know of) currently residing and being played here in Lawrence, Kansas...three F5's and an A5. Combined with this being Mandolin Cafe world headquarters, a gifted luthier named Leo Posch, great builders Mike Black and Jim Triggs this is a wonderful place to call home!

Thanks Jim. I might retire in Lawrence! Delrin? I have never heard of this material, but sounds like a super hard, friction free polymer of sorts that should work as nut material. Mike is at some big violin makers convention in OH and he was nice enough to call me and tell me he was having email difficulties. I forgot to ask about the nut, but I am sure he will get back to me soon enough.

I do not really see the porpuse of bindings?
    The main purpose of bindings is structural as they secure the exposed end grain of the top and back woods that would otherwise take in and release moisture and ultimately cause cracks. The aesthetics of binding is secondary and a bonus. Binding is not as necessary on hardwoods so that's why you see it left off of backs sometimes, and all Mahogany Martin 17 guitar models didn't have any bindings (although they are commonly cracked). Binding is necessary on the common top woods such as spruce.

Here's my Dude 1A Lynn built for me last year with a Carpathian spruce top. It's one of the best sounding mandolins I have ever played and I feel very fortunate to own it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3037 (Large).JPG 
Views:	281 
Size:	251.5 KB 
ID:	87953Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3038 (Large).JPG 
Views:	266 
Size:	209.1 KB 
ID:	87954Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3045 (Large).JPG 
Views:	265 
Size:	237.8 KB 
ID:	87955Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3046 (Large).JPG 
Views:	268 
Size:	210.0 KB 
ID:	87956Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3051 (Large).JPG 
Views:	268 
Size:	171.1 KB 
ID:	87957Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3052 (Large).jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	182.8 KB 
ID:	87958

Interesting points, but I would think 10 or more coats of finish would help protect against moisture. I see a lot of bound guitars with cracks too! If a mandolin is exposed to severe changes in temperature or humidity, I don't think binding is going to do much to protect it. I think it serves more of an aesthetic and protection purpose. Beautiful, beautiful Dudenbostel! Thank you for posting!

Here are a few shots of my Girouard Fjr . At least that is what I call it. Max can correct me if I am wrong. One of the best playing mandolins I have ever owned, and has a really, really nice tone. Strong and balanced like my Kimble F. A keeper!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6747.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	87960Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6755.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	87961Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6762.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	87962

Quote Originally Posted by Goodin View Post
    The main purpose of bindings is structural as they secure the exposed end grain of the top and back woods that would otherwise take in and release moisture and ultimately cause cracks. The aesthetics of binding is secondary and a bonus. Binding is not as necessary on hardwoods so that's why you see it left off of backs sometimes, and all Mahogany Martin 17 guitar models didn't have any bindings (although they are commonly cracked). Binding is necessary on the common top woods such as spruce.
    That is the first time I have ever heard that. I have only built a handful of instruments and none with an eye on selling them. I have been a member of this forum and the Musical Instrument Makers Forum for 8 1/2 years and I have literally read thousands of threads. Several of them have addressed one or more aspects of binding and I am pretty sure that NONE of them have given moisture control as a reason for binding. The two common reasons given are aesthetics and to protect the edge (especially the softer top wood) from dings which could lead to cracks.
    Read something new every day.

One would wonder why so many fiddles have lasted hundreds of years if moisture was the issue. What I have read correlates to Bill's reasons above.
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

Nice Bill, way to set the record straight. Bill used to be curious now he's authoritative. No joking, just succinct and on point.
    PJ
    Stanley V5

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Milne View Post
    One would wonder why so many fiddles have lasted hundreds of years if moisture was the issue. What I have read correlates to Bill's reasons above.
    I also think that moisture is not real issue on finished wood though violins are not best example. as they are ften worn to bare wood and when played in upper register sweaty hands touch the bare wood.
    Some Strads or other valuable violins have had up to 90% of edgework on tops replaced by new wood, the corners often more than just once or twice... It wears down where hands touch and chips where bow ocassionaly hits it etc...
    Spruce edge is extremely fragile and looks BAD when chipped or damaged. On violins the repair is relatively simple as there is the purfling line and grain allow making easy invisible repair but on mandolin with no top binding you should be prepared for scars.
    Adrian

I'm huge fan of the way the Campanella mandolins look with the violin influence. But it has occurred to me that one might need to take some additional precautions to protect the unbound edge of the top plate. Anyone know if additional top thickness is left in place to make the edge outside the pufling more robust?

Scott

The Nugget at the begging of the thread is coming over the pond to TAMCO. As it happens I also have 'juniors' in stock by Lynn Dudenbostel and Steve Gitchrist.

Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.