Thread: Hi!

Default Hi!

Hi guys,

My name is Tyler Jackson. I play tenor banjo and more recently have gotten into tenor guitar. I stumbled on this forum and was happy to know that there's some people out there "talking tenor". Feel free to check out this youtube clip of me playing my 47 Gibson TG 50 (with 4 pole DeArmond) the other night in the B3 trio I play in. I use CGDA tuning for those interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJqAUY9IHrU

Looking forward to talking to y'all soon!

Tyler

www.TylerJacksonMusic.com

Blog Entries

Default Re: Hi!

Hi Tyler & welcome!
    Wow, what a great video...Swinging! Great playing and your TG-50 sounds great.
    FYI; we also have a Tenor Guitar Enthusiasts social group here that you may be interested in checking-out and possibly joining.
    Again, welcome.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Tyler, that is quite a trio you have there, my man! Oh, and you can play that tenor a bit too!! Just so different from what I try on my tenor and now I know why I do not play jazz. Great stuff. Look forward to more from your trio.
    Last edited by John Kelly; Jun-18-2012 at 10:35am. Reason: typo

Nice video. I made my first visit to Luna Live two Saturdays ago and was very impressed with the venue. Coming from Austin where people party, talk, and yak on their cell phones all though a performance, I was really struck by how the very diverse audience at Luna Live was so attentive and respectful of the music. Nice place to play.
    Bobby Bill

Thank you Bobby. Yes Luna is a great venue for an intimate concert. You're right about the audience. They are very into what's going on and people come up to you after and want to talk about what they just saw.

Great stuff. The other videos that come up of your group are great too. The TG50 really compliments the B3. It doesn't sound much like a guitar, in a good way. What kind of amp are you using?

Thanks. I'm actually using a Trace Elliot 200W Bass amp with a Lexicon PCM 60 reverb unit. I'm still on the hunt for something a little more portable and a non-rack style reverb unit (maybe even built in reverb), but for now I'm liking the tone, so I won't switch until I find an old Standel super custom etc...

That was great! Whole lotta pickin' goin' on. I saw your post yesterday and didn't read past the word "banjo." That'll teach me.

I love that organ trio sound, and I think your tenor does sound like a guitar, in a good way.

HAHA! I realize "banjo" has a very negative connotation and probably should avoid using that term altogether, in fact from now on I think I'll just say I play a round tenor guitar with a drum head....

But seriously, thank you for your kind words. My main way of making a living is playing bass... for country singer Ray Price for the last 6 + years, and of course lots of local jazz gigs. I have recently gotten back into tenor tuned instruments and am on a quest to get a really fat tone out of my TG 50. I like the DeArmond single coil a lot, but I'm wondering about having a custom four pole floating humbucker made for me. I go back and fourth between liking the sound of the humbucker vs single coil. Can anybody recommend a good custom pick-up maker?

T

www.TylerJacksonMusic.com

playing bass... for country singer Ray Price for the last 6 + years
    I played violin in a pick-up orchestra for a Ray Price concert, must have been over 30 years ago. Probably a few thousand fiddle players can say the same thing, eh? That was down in St. Pete, Florida. He was flying high then; literally. Travelled from gig to gig in a Lear jet.
    His band that travelled with him was good. He had a fiddle player that was just ferocious.

I'll have to check out some more of your videos.

Don't know a thing about custom pickups.