Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who will be next?

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Default Who will be next?

Who do you think will be the next big name in the mandolin world?

Up here in the Pacific Northwest we have been blessed with some really phenomenal young talent in the likes of players like Chris Luquette (now playing guitar with Frank Solivan & Dirty Kitchen), Nick Dumas (Northern Departure) and Martin Stevens (The Bluegrass Reguators). I think in the next couple of years these names may get more familiar to folks outside of my part of the world.

So who are the players that we should be on the lookout for?
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

Default Re: Who will be next?

Greetings Mandopete!

Your three nominations for the next great name in the mandolin world represent the genres of 1. bluegrass 2. bluegrass and 3. umm... bluegrass. Sigh.

It seems to me that mandolinists are too often pigeon-holed by others (and to some extent, themselves) into very narrow styles. Classical, Old time, Celtic, Bluegrass, Jazz, etc. There are very fine players in each style but seldom do they break away and cross over or even invent something new. Why is that?

It also seems to me that the truly great musicians, the ones who receive widespread universal public adulation are those who break away, cross over to other styles, or create a new style altogether. In the process these musicians bring attention to and popularize the instrument they play. I'm thinking Yo-Yo Ma, Bela Fleck, Wynton Marsalis. Great bluegrass mandolin players? There are many. But who will be the break away mandolinist that reaches the heights of worldwide fame like the above? That I would be interested in knowing. Anyone know a player like that?
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Hey there Don,

I think it's primarily due to the fact that I like to listen to bluegrass. But in defense of the the names I have listed above, I think they are capable of multiple genres. I know that Chris plays rock, jazz and even Finnish music!

So how about some up and comming performers from genres oustide of the bluegrass world?
    2015 Chevy Silverado

Finnish music? I haven't even started yet!
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

One name I have not heard much about in the last few years is Josh Pinkham. I know he started in the bluegrass world and then went to to work with The Frank Vignola group (jazz) and The Deadly Gentlemen (epic folk & grasscore). I really liked his playing, but it seems I have not heard his name much in the past couple of years.
    2015 Chevy Silverado

If I was a jazzer I would keep my eyes open for Dan Bui - this guy has chops to spare!

2015 Chevy Silverado

Watch for this kid!

His name is Turner Hutchens

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mandopete View Post
    ...snip...
    Gordon Neidinger & Matthew Witler

c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Excellent videos all - thanks for sharing!

It's amazing the amount of talent there is out there on the mandolin these days. The other thing I noticed it all of the videos is that these younger players are really pulling tone from the instrument.

5 stars!
    2015 Chevy Silverado

All those guys are talented but man.....where is the bluesy grit that should be in bluegrass? Let the music breathe a little. The notes you don't play are just as important as the ones you do.

Registered User Terry Allan Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    Greetings Mandopete!

Your three nominations for the next great name in the mandolin world represent the genres of 1. bluegrass 2. bluegrass and 3. umm... bluegrass. Sigh.

It seems to me that mandolinists are too often pigeon-holed by others (and to some extent, themselves) into very narrow styles. Classical, Old time, Celtic, Bluegrass, Jazz, etc. There are very fine players in each style but seldom do they break away and cross over or even invent something new. Why is that?

It also seems to me that the truly great musicians, the ones who receive widespread universal public adulation are those who break away, cross over to other styles, or create a new style altogether. In the process these musicians bring attention to and popularize the instrument they play. I'm thinking Yo-Yo Ma, Bela Fleck, Wynton Marsalis. Great bluegrass mandolin players? There are many. But who will be the break away mandolinist that reaches the heights of worldwide fame like the above? That I would be interested in knowing. Anyone know a player like that?
    You make VERY valid points...mandolin is like any other instrument, in that it's only limitation is the person playing it.

Up here in the Pacific Northwest we have been blessed with some really phenomenal young talent in the likes of players like Chris Luquette (now playing guitar with Frank Solivan & Dirty Kitchen), Nick Dumas (Northern Departure) and Martin Stevens (The Bluegrass Reguators). I think in the next couple of years these names may get more familiar to folks outside of my part of the world.

All these boys are good. I was really impressed with Kenny and Amanda Smiths mando player, Cory Piatt. I saw him this weekend at a local festival. He's only 16 years old, but an incredible player.

Blog Entries

For me over this side of the pond at the moment it's hard to beat the tastefulness of Rex Preston's playing.
    He really does at making an acoustic space for others to work in. (ie in the link above: 4AM, Between the Sheets, Trouble, Rain)
    But do people rave over players who are really tasteful musicians? I get the feeling we tend to admire those who are more showy rather than stylish.

( I had lessons from him and really like the way he works too.)
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

I'll second Ed's nomination of Gordan Neidinger. Having had the privilege to jam with and play in pick-up bands with him over the last year or so I can attest to his level of excellence. And, although bluegrass is my preferred music to play you can't pigeon-hole Gordan with it. He has a depth of musical styles that seem to be inconsistant with his age (17?) and years playing. Yes, I do believe that Gordan Neidinger will soon be a more recognizable name within the mandolin community and beyond. Good selection, Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    All those guys are talented but man.....where is the bluesy grit that should be in bluegrass? Let the music breathe a little. The notes you don't play are just as important as the ones you do.
    I agree with Shaun completely. As a lifelong friend, student and booster of Andy Statman all I can say is this... listen to more of Andy and less of everyone else! Also do yourself a favor and download his jazz mandolin program... of immense value to ALL players... even jaded ones. Andy's musical vocabulary is totally unique in the world of mandolin playing. Hell, Andy's musical vocabulary is just plain unique PERIOD! He wasn't awarded that NEA fellowship for nuthin'. When Andy plays, "the greats" listen! 'Nuff said.

Pete, I don't think Northern Departure is the same without Chris, which hurts Nick's chances for wider exposure. And Chris will not get many chances to perform on mandolin as long as he is playing guitar with Frank, so I don't think he's going to break out as a mandolin player while on his current gig. But he will get the recognition he deserves for his guitar playing and general musicianship. Tell him I said hello when you see him at the studio.

Second Glassweb's support of Statman. It's been great to have Andy visit Seattle twice in the past couple of years ... let's hope it keeps happening.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I was super impressed with the Snyder Family Band after hearing about them in This Thread.
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

Sorry, here is the mando content...!

I should be pickin' rather than postin'

Blog Entries

Really impressive, flashy playing to say the least but they're all so young and haven't developed the soul part of music that comes with age. That's my only dig against these contests and the culture they're bringing up. Infusing new blood is vital to growth but let's not loose sight of what's really important.

Guess I'm starting to age and mature as far as that goes.
    Breedlove Quartz FF with K&K Twin - Weber Big Horn - Fender FM62SCE
    Wall Hangers - 1970's Stella A and 60's Kay Kraft

Whether you slow your roll or mash on it, enjoy the ride.

Interesting observation. A couple of years back I would have replied with David Long. I still think he is performing, but have not heard too much from him. But I think the focus of most of the responses has been on younger musicians and it's my humble opinion that blues in general requires a level of experience and maturity that we don't often see in younger musicians.
    2015 Chevy Silverado

Registered User Justus True Waldron's Avatar

If I was a jazzer I would keep my eyes open for Dan Bui - this guy has chops to spare!
    Hey, I'm pretty sure I jammed with that guy when I was out towards Boston last year... really good picker, we played a couple tunes I'd never done before which was a little intimidating... but it worked out. He really liked my mandolin, we swapped for a little bit!
    - 2004 Macica A
    - 1952 Selmer Centered Tone
    - Eastwood electric mandola
    (and lots more)

Totally agree, all kinds of talent there but please don't make the mandolin sound like an electric guitar all the time!

Z
    Member since 2003!

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Pete, I don't think Northern Departure is the same without Chris...
    Hey there Martin,

Chris is still very much a part of Northern Departure. They are just now releasing their 2nd recording and he is all over it. It's just that he is splitting his time between two bands. You may be right in that we'll not likely get to hear him play mandolin very often since his focus in both bands is guitar. I had the good fortune to jam with him at Maltby a couple of months ago when we did an Earl Scruggs tribute set and I was blown away by his mandolin playing. He was alternating between a real traditonal sound and the more modern stuff that he plays in the two bands. I think he has a pretty deep understanding of music that allows him to do this and his chops aint too bad either!
    2015 Chevy Silverado

Registered User Chris "Bucket" Thomas's Avatar

Yep. The style now is "how may notes will fit in a measure". I prefer it a bit "older", with more feeling. Good thing there is a lot to listen to out there.

Chris

2007 Gibson F5-L Fern
    1919 Gibson A-0
    2019 Black A4
    BlueRidge BR140
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ChristopherSThomas
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1188214780

Registered User Justus True Waldron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mingusb1 View Post
    Totally agree, all kinds of talent there but please don't make the mandolin sound like an electric guitar all the time!
    Not that I really disagree (I may be 23, but I'm also a jazz/blues player on multiple instruments and I grew up listening to the old school mando players, not just Thile like most young guys... so I get grit). I do find that statement funny though, because didn't Bill Monroe himself draw some inspiration from '50s rock electric guitar licks? Whether it was intentional or not, a lot of his bluesy licks sound right at home in that format... and he certainly played mandolin like a lead guitar player. I think it's really more what DECADE of electric guitar it should sound like :p
    - 2004 Macica A
    - 1952 Selmer Centered Tone
    - Eastwood electric mandola
    (and lots more)